Catalyst/Driver Confusion

Ilpav

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Corolla LE
I recently bought Splinter Cell: Double Agent and (as some of you may know), the PC version is a shitty port from the Xbox 360 version, so it has lots of bugs. My problem is that when I try to load the first mission, my computer restarts. I have contacted Ubisoft technical support and they told me to update my video card driver. I have a Radeon HD2600 Pro 512MB AGP card and I cannot find an updated driver for it. When I go to the ATI website, it only has drivers for the PCIe version of the 2600 series. Where can I find the latest drivers/catalyst versions for my card?

Thanks.

The 2900 series driver should work for you. Actually, any of the Catalyst downloads should work. They're all included in one package. i.e. the download for my old 9600 is the same as your much newer card.

Yeah, they all take you to the same EXE in most cases. That picker is just there for the few odd cards that require special drivers.

So you're saying that the new Catalyst 8.2 would work with much older cards? And anyway, for some reason when I tried to install drivers 8.2, 8.1, and 7.12, they wouldn't work (I know I downloaded the correct versions). Just before installation this error comes up:

Severe

Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system. Setup will now exit.

How come this error comes up whenever I try to install a new driver? My current version is 6.14.

Thanks.

Download the newest Catalyst suite (8.2 I believe) for your OS, it should have the driver for your 2600Pro. I'm running 8.1 right now, it even have the drivers for my card (X1950GT).

For AGP cards the newer ati drivers can be a bit of a problem.
Where some versions work fine, while others don't.

Heard reports that the omega drivers work most of the time for the AGP cards;
http://www.omegadrivers.net/ati.php

If you want offical ATI drivers I'd try the ATi Catalyst 8.1 hotfix, these are supposed to have a specific fix for AGP cards, something that's wrong with versions before.

I am using XP 32-bit and now I'm really confused. From my system info, it says that the driver version is 6.14. On the CD for the card it says "Catalyst Driver Suite Version 7.8" and "Driver Ver.: 12-079 (8.401)". So what version am I running? Is there a difference between the Catalyst driver and the regular driver?

Thanks.

I'll keep it short, there isn't a difference between the Catalyst and regular drivers. Even if there is, it doesn't matter at all.

Install one of the two I mentioned early and see if it works.

Just do it, and don't worry about the tiny little details.

So, would you recommend the Omega driver, or the official ATI hotfix driver?

And what's the difference between the hotfix and the normal one?

Thanks.

Ok I successfully installed the 8.1 hotfix and restarted my computer, but in my system info how come it still says that the driver version is 6.14?

It says:

Drivers

Main Driver: ati2dvag.dll
Version: 6.14.0010.6764 (English)
Date: 11/01/2008 22:20:22
WHQL Logo'd: No
Mini VDD: ati2mtag.sys
VDD: n/a
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Last edited:
Ok I successfully installed the 8.1 hotfix and restarted my computer, but in my system info how come it still says that the driver version is 6.14?

It says:

That is 8.1. Just another name for it.

But more importantly.. does your game work?

On a side note, this is yet another reason I will never go ATi again. I went nVidia -> ATi -> nVidia and while those ATi cards are pretty decent, their drivers are the biggest piles of shit ever.

<3 nVidia

On a side note, this is yet another reason I will never go ATi again. I went nVidia -> ATi -> nVidia and while those ATi cards are pretty decent, their drivers are the biggest piles of shit ever.

<3 nVidia

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/02/27/feedtroll.jpg

Stop trolling your own forums :p

YEEEES!!! IT WORKS! :D

Thanks Kip! :wink:

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/02/27/feedtroll.jpg

Stop trolling your own forums :p

Since when is speaking the truth trolling? :p

<3 nVidia

I agree. My 7600GT's drivers was very good, but the ATi X1950GT's drivers were pretty bad.

pfff, noobs.

I've owned several ATI cards, and lots of nvidia ones too. I've only had problems with two 3870's in crossfire but for the rest the driver experience is about the same as with my 8800GT. Just install them and go play.

All I always hear is that they're bad, but never any proper arguments.
It Just seems like bad rep from several years ago.