Pickup truck haters in the UK aren't going to like this...

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7265235.stm

While it might have performed poorly in Euro safety tests, the Nissan Navara is helping to draw buyers in the UK to a new type of vehicle - the pick-up truck. In the US you can't move without tripping over one. George W Bush drives one and Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama has campaigned from the back of one.
There's something distinctly American about the pick-up, all Bruce Springsteen and O Brother, Where Art Thou. Along with apple pie, baseball and the diner, the truck is a firm part of Americana. But now they're winning over British car buyers.
_44454290_george.203.jpg
The all-American vehicle

The design of the Nissan Navara might have been criticised by Euro NCap, the European body responsible for testing new cars, but it highlights how these "rough and tough" off-road vehicles are become increasingly popular in the UK.

"You see them everywhere and a lot of people are now buying them for family run-arounds," says motoring journalist Adam Rayner.
"They're practical, with more than two doors, sumptuous interiors and room in the back for all sorts. They're a lot more fun than the typical family saloon."
But their practicality is only part of their increasing popularity. Appearance and price - they start in the region of ?16,000 - both play a part.
"These vehicles are big, sexy things and that appeals to men," says Mr Rayner. "They look good but are much more affordable than something like a Ferrari. Men can be flash with these 'yank tanks' without bankrupting themselves."
'Mid-life crisis market'
Another part of their appeal is to do with tax. They may not be dirt cheap to buy but they can save you money when it comes to road tax. Self-employed people can run pick-ups as commercial vehicles, as well as a family car, and get different road tax restrictions.
"If you have a diesel pick-up you can actually buy it for business use and that's a VAT issue that can save you tremendous amounts of wedge," says Mr Rayner. "It adds to their attraction."
Frank Griffiths started a business in Cheshire selling pick-up trucks with his son five years ago. He says demand is growing all the time. The business gets around 40 enquiries a week, up from just four when it started.
_44454475_boys.203.jpg
They are becoming popular with families

He has sold pick-ups to a whole range of customers, from families to the up-market Malmaison hotel chain, which bought a fleet of them. But the vehicles are very popular with one particular set of car drivers, he says.

"They're a bit of a rich man's toy. I call it the mid-life crisis market.
"I get lots of wealthy businessmen who want something different to drive, they want to stand out from the crowd. They often want high-spec vehicles, with all the gadgets."
He says the pick-up's popularity is not only growing in the UK.
"They're gaining popularity in other countries as well. I have three pick-ups in my garage at the moment ready for shipping overseas, two are going to Jakarta and one to South Africa."
However, they're not becoming popular with everyone, including environmentalists. While engine size can vary, they are not known for their fuel efficiency, especially the bigger American-made vehicles.
'Environmental horror'
With the current backlash against 4X4s, including a possible ?25 congestion charge in London, pick-ups could face some hostility.
"Pick-ups are inherently less green than other vehicles because their design is not very aerodynamic," says Mr Rayner.
"Some do have relatively sensible engines because they are designed as work horses, but at the other end of the spectrum you get real monsters. They are an environmental horror."
But the growing popularity of pick-ups could have an unexpected consequence, which will be welcomed by some.
"A lot of the time they're replacing the white van," says Mr Rayner.
Could this signal the end for "white van man"?

Ah, the Brits are finally discovering the utility of the pickup truck...

We've had pick-ups for years. We don't have any big ones but we've had L200, Hi-Lux, Landy pick-ups and various others of that size, as well as some shit ones ('m looking at you Proton Jumbuck).
They've always been popular with builders and farmers but I suppose people may now be starting to buy them when they have absolutely no use for them. My dad nearly bought an L200 a few years ago for no obvious reason.

It makes sense, SUVs are starting to get taxed more so people are flocking to trucks which are for the most part the same thing.

Now if trucks really take off will we see BMW and the like start making trucks?

We've had pick-ups for years. We don't have any big ones but we've had L200, Hi-Lux, Landy pick-ups and various others of that size, as well as some shit ones ('m looking at you Proton Jumbuck).
They've always been popular with builders and farmers but I suppose people may now be starting to buy them when they have absolutely no use for them. My dad nearly bought an L200 a few years ago for no obvious reason.

Yeah there's a lot around here, it been a rural area and all, I don't really like them but I have no reason for them which is properly why

A lot of people who buy them for no reason do appear to be having a mid-life crisis and are concerned they don't look "manly".

Here's a big part of their appeal, from the above quoted article:

Another part of their appeal is to do with tax. They may not be dirt cheap to buy but they can save you money when it comes to road tax. Self-employed people can run pick-ups as commercial vehicles, as well as a family car, and get different road tax restrictions.
"If you have a diesel pick-up you can actually buy it for business use and that's a VAT issue that can save you tremendous amounts of wedge," says Mr Rayner. "It adds to their attraction."

Unintended consequences. People hate paying tax. If you start taxing cars and such at a high rate, people will go to vehicles with less tax. Unfortunately for the UK, that means that they go to trucks. And the UK can't start taxing trucks like cars because what little is left of their businesses and industry would start screaming - or worse, leave.

Japanese pickups have been used for ages. They are great work vehicles, strong and reliable. Think of Top Gear's indestructible hilux.

I don't think you will start seeing too many US trucks in the UK mainly due to the right-hand drive thing.

I like them much more than SUV's. They are a status symbol here in Texas. King of the heap is the King Ranch and Harley Davidson Edition F250's. With a simple ecu tune, they will outrun most of the cars on the road. Not bad for a 7,000lbs truck.

IIRC, the Navara is sold as the Frontier here in America. They are pretty well nailed together. They will like them a lot.

Holden and Ford were talking about offering utes in the UK for some light hualing duties

I'm surprised this hasn't errupeted into a pick up bashing session. I'd love to see a Chevy 3500 HD Dually running around the streets of europe. That would be funny.

I'm surprised this hasn't errupeted into a pick up bashing session. I'd love to see a Chevy 3500 HD Dually running around the streets of europe. That would be funny.

There is a twin rear axle pick-up near me but not sure it's that one. The rear end takes up more than one lane.

^I'd be like driving a Smart on the American highway. It'd be stupid.

There is a twin rear axle pick-up near me but not sure it's that one. The rear end takes up more than one lane.

A twin rear axle means that it would have two sets if wheel in tandem, one behind the other.

NEW%20DODGE%20DUALLY.jpg

Having two tires side by side on the same axle is called a "Dually" (pronounced "Duel-ly").

index.14.jpg

wow thats interesting... i wonder if clarkson had anything to do with that with his nissan boat over the channel

I saw a newish silver dodge ram in northern italy a couple of months ago, in the Modena area. One of the most bizarre sights I've ever experienced.