1992 Camaro project - Halfway there

Wrong! Pontiac 301. More sucktastic points if it is a turbo.

I forgot about that one... you win.

As for the 305, the car that i'm probably abou tto buy has a 305 in it. I've got nothing against them, they are pretty decent engines.

Well finally some good news... my cylinder bores haven't rusted (but there was standing water in all of them)

100_6198.jpg

100_6207.jpg

I poured oil into a few of them (The ones with open exh valves) but I got most of it out to take the picture.

No rust in any of them though... I'm so relieved. Looks like the block will be able to stay in the car and all I need are some properly set up heads and Im good to go...

Granted, I dont currently have the money to spend $850 on heads... but at least that's the extent of the damages that I can see.

And I got those bores dried out and COATED in WD40 for now, I got cling wrap over each bank and over the lifter valley, a big plastic bag over teh whole thign, and a towel over that... hopefully that will keep things good to go.

Calm down dude. For one I am quite aware the differences of the 305 vs the 350. I'm not a dullard.

I was defending you by reiterating that the only difference is the bore, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with a 305 except that the bore limits you more than a 350 bore does.

AND suggesting that I might stick with a 305 instead of doing the most common thing done to a 3rd gen--which is stuff in the same engine that everyone else and their grandmother has put in. I'm going to be different in someway, I don't want the same build as Joe, Jack, and Harry down the street. I might as well turn it into a drag car if I'm going to be generic.

You can have fun being unique with your 305 and all... that's fine. I got a buddy with a badass 91 RS that he converted into a sport coupe. It's got a 305 with factory heads and he's gone 12.66 in it. The 305 thing is cool, no doubt.

But being different for the sake of being different WILL cost your horsepower. If he had the same parts on a 350 as he does on his 305 (theoretically assume the 305 heads can be converted to 64cc chambers that are stock for 350s) he would have more power and more streetability combined with better track times.

Last edited:
I feel your pain. I remember when my supercharger build went south and I was looking at $300 ontop of the $500 I had already spent, but thankfully I was able to dodge the bullet. I hope you're able to get a new set of heads for cheap.

Well finally some good news... my cylinder bores haven't rusted (but there was standing water in all of them)

100_6198.jpg

100_6207.jpg

I poured oil into a few of them (The ones with open exh valves) but I got most of it out to take the picture.

No rust in any of them though... I'm so relieved. Looks like the block will be able to stay in the car and all I need are some properly set up heads and Im good to go...

Granted, I dont currently have the money to spend $850 on heads... but at least that's the extent of the damages that I can see.

And I got those bores dried out and COATED in WD40 for now, I got cling wrap over each bank and over the lifter valley, a big plastic bag over teh whole thign, and a towel over that... hopefully that will keep things good to go.

I was defending you by reiterating that the only difference is the bore, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with a 305 except that the bore limits you more than a 350 bore does.

You can have fun being unique with your 305 and all... that's fine. I got a buddy with a badass 91 RS that he converted into a sport coupe. It's got a 305 with factory heads and he's gone 12.66 in it. The 305 thing is cool, no doubt.

But being different for the sake of being different WILL cost your horsepower. If he had the same parts on a 350 as he does on his 305 (theoretically assume the 305 heads can be converted to 64cc chambers that are stock for 350s) he would have more power and more streetability combined with better track times.

Glad to see no rust in there. If you were defending me then it went right over my head. :mrgreen: Like I've said (not sure if it was here), I'm not after a high horsepower machine. In the end if I have north of 300bhp I'll be happy. I've already got my plan for a high horsepower machine for when the Camaro is done--and it isn't an fbody.

No-Replacement-For-Displacement

Old tired saying that is irrelevant and completely incorrect. There are planty of 4cyl and 6cyl engines that can get as much power as a 350. If I wanted to I could easily drop in a Nissan 6cyl. and wipe the floor with every other street Camaro or Firebird out there. But, that's not what I'm after. :D

damn man thats horrible. good thing your taking care of it and not letting that beast just get burried. idk what lift your cam is but just pick yourself up a set of vortecs from summit. or any number of other places http://www.sdparts.com/product/SD80...erHeadMachinedforGuidePlatesw0600Springs.aspx
http://www.tristatecylinderhead.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=148

SDParts ive heard has a good rep. but idk how much id trust them. but summit has never let me down as im sure your well aware of

Well, the guy that sold me the heads is workign something out where he's gonna get a new set out to me. I've got to wait for 'em, but he seems pretty serious about making it up to me which is VERY surprising, and very cool.

Current Status: Depressing

l_80d69825c78d7450293106fe7d6bfc34.jpg

I pulled the driveshaft off to tow it back to my place. But you can see my subframe connectors here and NO EXHAUST. lol.

l_314a5b707df68da187e35d4a0a58dacc.jpg

No heads... :(

In other news, I'm VERY close to snagging a T56 for it! So I may come out of this whole thing with a 6-speed transmission!

also, the A/C is probably going to have to come out to be able to get to some of those rear head bolts on the Passenger side, so I'm probably just going to scrap it all together. You really NEED A/C out here in the southern US, it gets VERY hot. We're actually at about the same latitude as Baghdad!

But sometimes you gotta sacrifice for weight, power, and hot rodding simplicity! Yay!

In other news, I'm VERY close to snagging a T56 for it! So I may come out of this whole thing with a 6-speed transmission!

Do it, do whatever you have to to get it. I love my T56!

you really NEED A/C out here in the southern US, it gets VERY hot. We're actually at about the same latitude as Baghdad!

Try living in the caribbean :D My camaro doesnt have working A/C either.

Last edited:
also, the A/C is probably going to have to come out to be able to get to some of those rear head bolts on the Passenger side, so I'm probably just going to scrap it all together. You really NEED A/C out here in the southern US, it gets VERY hot. We're actually at about the same latitude as Baghdad

Nah, haven't you ever heard of the 255 trick? 2 windows down at 55mph, that's old school AC right there.

And I'm glad this guy has (apparently) opted to make good on his fucked up heads.

Nah, haven't you ever heard of the 255 trick? 2 windows down at 55mph, that's old school AC right there.

Pfft, i can remove most of my roof. Thats A/C 1974 style, on a 95 car no less!

Only problem is my james may hairstyle, i kind of come out looking like some kind of crazy mad scientist, with hair sticking around in random directions.

LOL, you think you have a James May hairstyle?

Here I am loosening the dizzy hold down so I can pull the distributor.
l_f6d129c142c043cd47e5f1826253bfed.jpg

l_ec6913756eed60329c05102fe50f4a8f.jpg

Heeehee

You really NEED A/C out here in the southern US, it gets VERY hot. We're actually at about the same latitude as Baghdad!
I've gotten by without AC for a few years now, but you guys get even more oppressive humidity down there than we do here. Then again, with that engine and a six speed, you ought to be able to keep a little air moving through the car :lol:.

I've gotten by without AC for a few years now, but you guys get even more oppressive humidity down there than we do here. Then again, with that engine and a six speed, you ought to be able to keep a little air moving through the car :lol:.

The car probably wont be a daily driver.... So that helps.

The funny thing is, with a T56, I can use a certain aftermarket crossmember that gives you TONS of room for dual exhaust form long tube headers, and i may be able to claw back enough ground clearance to make it a daily driver again if I got a new exhaust system built around it. The reason the exhaust has to hang so low on these is becuase htey have to go under the crossmember... so this is a really neat proposition for me...

But you gotta pay big money for a T56. Looks like I'll be gettin mine for around $1200 if it works out.

Got surprises for you guyses!

a100_6297.jpg

LT1 T56 out of a 94 Trans Am!

a100_6294b.jpg

Spec Clutches STage 3 clutch (Worn out :( ) and a lot of other swap parts.

a100_6318.jpg

Pro 5.0 Shifter!

THe only thing I didnt get was the pedals... I'll have to source some of those, not a big deal. Slave cyl and hydraulics are in a box off to the side.

It's not gonna go into the car right away, probably by the end of summer. But it's gonna be BAD!

Do yourself a favor and get a B&M Shifter for it, its amazingly good and not that expensive.

Thats a real mans transmission right there! :D Whats it going onto again?

Do yourself a favor and get a B&M Shifter for it, its amazingly good and not that expensive.

Thats a real mans transmission right there! :D Whats it going onto again?

1. The Pro 5.0 shifter is an aftermarket $180 shifter. It's NOT a stock shifter.

2. What's it going into? The Camaro

No, i mean what motor.

But you gotta pay big money for a T56. Looks like I'll be gettin mine for around $1200 if it works out.

Lol, and you all laughed at me when i said that my transmission alone was worth what i paid for my car. I wasnt too far off.

No, i mean what motor.

My .060 over 350. It'll have RHS (Racing Head Service) casting Vortec heads on it, long tubes, dual exhaust etc... Hoping for around 400 hp at the flywheel and maybe 300 at the rear wheels. With a manual and aluminum driveshaft (if I can find one before it goes in) it should definitely hit 300 at the rear wheels, which is very stout for a street car that weighs around 3300 lbs. With a better rear end ratio, I could possibly get close to 12's with it.

Lol, and you all laughed at me when i said that my transmission alone was worth what i paid for my car. I wasnt too far off.

I told you the transmission was worth what you bought the car for! Remember, I tried to get you to part it out and make your money back with that transmission? I would've bought it!

Here's exactly what I said:

InfernalVortex said:
if you have another car for a daily driver, I would consider making the camaro a project car. If you dont ahve the money for a project car, I would consider parting it out, especially if there's any frame damage.

You can unload that drivetrain for at least what you paid for it I bet.

And in response to someone saying no one liked LT1s:

InfernalVortex said:
There is some truth to this, which is why Im addressing it. But remember, it's got a T56 attached to it AND it's making a lot of power. He may not be able to get $1500 out of the drivetrain alone, but he'll be able to squeeze a good bit out of it I bet.

A little piece of trivia for you, it's much easier to put an LT1 T56 on an old school sbc block than it is to put an LS1 T56 on there. So most people who swap T56's into older cars (resto-mod territory) and use an Gen I block, they use LT1 T56's. Tehy're actually more desirablef or that reason, even if the LT1 T56's used that goofy ass clutch setup.

And I got my T56 for $1200... you think you can sell your LT1 for $300? I dont know if you could or not, but you would be very close! And that's exactly what I said.

Last edited: