"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3511901.ece

British soldier awarded the Military Cross for fighting off 150 Taliban

Military Cross for hero of ambush

Michael Smith

A BRITISH soldier who almost single-handedly took on 150 Taliban after he and his 50-man convoy were ambushed in Afghanistan has been awarded the Military Cross.
Fusilier Damien Hields used his grenade machinegun to destroy seven Taliban positions before his ambushers realised he was their main threat. After peppering his vehicle with bullets, they hit the 24-year-old soldier. He had to be dragged off for treatment by his driver after he tried to continue fighting.
?Fusilier Hields showed extraordinary courage under intense fire,? said Lieutenant-Colonel Huw James, his commanding officer. ?I was astonished at the state of his vehicle. There were so many holes in it, it was like a teabag. The Taliban did everything in their power to neutralise [him] and Fusilier Hields was having none of it. His actions allowed his patrol to come out of the ambush in which they were outnumbered by three or four to one and probably saved a lot of lives.? Hields was awarded not only the Military Cross, the third highest award for gallantry, but also the Nato Meritorious Service Medal for his actions, which were part of a Nato operation. However, he will not be allowed to wear the Nato award because army rules do not permit soldiers to wear non-British medals - an anomaly that has upset his commanding officer. ?We think he has earned this decoration for gallantry and that it is only right that he should be allowed to wear it,? James said. Hields was one of 28 Military Crosses announced last week. There were also five Conspicuous Gallantry Crosses, the second highest award after the Victoria Cross.

From Denby in north Wales, he joined the army at 16 and is married with a four-year-old son. Last summer he was posted with the 1st Battalion, the Royal Welsh to Kandahar in southern Afghanistan. One mission, 100 miles north in Uruzgan province, was to help Dutch troops disrupt the movement of Taliban fighters and drugs smugglers.

They were on their way back to Kandahar on June 3, driving south in a valley, when the Taliban attacked. One of the Land Rovers hit a landmine and was flipped upside down by the blast. ?There were Taliban dug in all around and they started hitting us with AK47s and mortars. We could not see where they were at first.? Hields followed the trail of RPG-7 rocket-propelled grenades coming towards him and started firing grenades one at a time, trying to home in. ?Then I switched to automatic fire,? he said. A grenade machine gun has a box with 32 grenade rounds. ?I emptied a box onto that position and you could see all the dust and smoke flying about where they hit.
?After that no fire came back from that position and I moved on to the next one. One or two rounds until I got onto the target, and switch to automatic and empty the box.?

Realising that Hields was the main threat to them, the remaining Taliban fighters homed in on him with their RPG7s, Dushka heavy machineguns and Kalash-nikov rifles. Hields was undaunted and continued firing.
?I got through six boxes in about 15 minutes and we were winning the fight,? he said. ?They started it. We were going to finish it.? One of the Taliban rounds finally hit home as he was bending down to reload. ?I felt a sharp punch in the kidneys on my right side,? he said. ?It knocked me into the bottom of the [Land-Rover]. I looked down and saw a hole in my body armour and a bit of blood.?
Hields was dragged out of the Taliban fire and back about 20 yards where Lance-Corporal Carley Williams, the female medic attached to the troops, had dashed through enemy fire to set up a first aid position. ?The lads were screaming at me to get into cover,? said Williams, 23, from Llanelli. They saw one round actually pass between my legs.? She was awarded the Joint Commanders? Commendation for her bravery. Hields said: ?It turned out the bullet had smashed a rib and gone out of me again without touching any internal organs which was very lucky. It was just a flesh wound really.?

He and the other wounded were evacuated by helicopter. After treatment and recuperation, Hields was back taking part in operations in Afghanistan in July. ?Obviously I?m extremely proud but I?ve got friends still recovering from injuries and it?s them I?m more worried about.?
Next time he could just hide behind is giant brass testicles. The medic didn't do too bad, either.

Last edited:
"It was just a flesh wound really."

See, understated throwbacks to classic groundbreaking sketch comedy troupes are why the British are the coolest people in the world.

I'd suggest that this guy should change his name/call his children Sylvester Motherfucking Bruce Norris Solid Snake Plissken Seagal Willis, Jr., but that would frankly be insulting as those guys are massive pussies in comparison.

This reminds me of the Canadian soldeir (his name has slipped my mind at this point) who held of an entire German assault single handed ly in WWII

Wow that guy sure has balls,

The Canadian you are referring to is Ernest "Smokey" Smith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Smith

From the London Gazette, December 20, 1944:

"In Italy on the night of 21st-22nd October 1944, a Canadian Infantry Brigade was ordered to establish a bridgehead across the Savio River. The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada were selected as the spearhead of the attack, and in weather most unfavourable to the operation they crossed the river and captured their objective in spite of strong opposition from the enemy.

Torrential rain had caused the Savio River to rise six feet in five hours, and as the soft vertical banks made it impossible to bridge the river no tanks or anti-tank guns could be taken across the raging stream to the support of the rifle companies.

As the right forward company was consolidating its objective it was suddenly counter-attacked by a troop of three Mark V Panther tanks supported by two self-propelled guns and about thirty infantry and the situation appeared hopeless.

Under heavy fire from the approaching enemy tanks, Private Smith, showing great initiative and inspiring leadership, led his P.I.A.T. Group of two men across an open field to a position from which the P.I.A.T. could best be employed. Leaving one man on the weapon, Private Smith crossed the road with a companion and obtained another P.I.A.T. Almost immediately an enemy tank came down the road firing its machine-guns along the line of the ditches. Private Smith's comrade was wounded. At a range of thirty feet and having to expose himself to the full view of the enemy, Private Smith fired the P.I.A.T. and hit the tank, putting it out of action. Ten German infantry immediately jumped off the back of the tank and charged him with Schmeissers and grenades. Without hesitation Private Smith moved out on the road and with his Tommy gun at point-blank range, killed four Germans and drove the remainder back. Almost immediately another tank opened fire and more enemy infantry closed in on Smith's position. Obtaining some abandoned Tommy gun magazines from a ditch, he steadfastly held his position, protecting his comrade and fighting the enemy with his Tommy gun until they finally gave up and withdrew in disorder.

One tank and both self-propelled guns had been destroyed by this time, but yet another tank swept the area with fire from a longer range. Private Smith, still showing utter contempt for enemy fire, helped his wounded friend to cover and obtained medical aid for him behind a nearby building. He then returned to his position beside the road to await the possibility of a further enemy attack.

No further immediate attack developed, and as a result the battalion was able to consolidate the bridgehead position so vital to the success of the whole operation, which led to the capture of San Giorgio Di Cesena and a further advance to the Ronco River.

Thus, by the dogged determination, outstanding devotion to duty and superb gallantry of this private soldier, his comrades were so inspired that the bridgehead was held firm against all enemy attacks, pending the arrival of tanks and anti-tank guns some hours later."

Last edited:
Very impressive.

Holy crap... that gives new meaning to that saying "For Queen and Country".

/My first child will probably come out and be half the size of this guy's nards.

Wait until Health and Safety hear about this!

In all seriousness, he's a brave man. It's the last paragraph that makes me admire him the most, though.

Now thats the shit. I bet one of them took a pot shot and he just went nuts over the bullet messing up his paint job. "You bastards I just washed it!"

kinda reminds me of call of duty 4 :D,

but still you need reinforced steel balls to actually understand what going to war is.

Now thats the shit. I bet one of them took a pot shot and he just went nuts over the bullet messing up his paint job. "You bastards I just washed it!"
I'd have said "That's my best top, damn it!"

If anyone gets that, they get a free cookie!

Wait until Health and Safety hear about this!

Knowing you guys, he probably got sacked afterwards for showing too much "reckless bravery in the line of fire" and "making the other soldiers feel inadequate". :rolleyes::p

Jesus...sounds like something from the world wars. You've got to watch out though, it's a tabloid newspaper they normally sex things up. And I wonder how many other nations troops have done similar things but we haven't heard of them? Amazing stuff though, much appreciated. Dude sounds super macho though, L.O.L.

I'd have said "That's my best top, damn it!"

If anyone gets that, they get a free cookie!

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/03/11/ace.jpg

Jesus...sounds like something from the world wars. You've got to watch out though, it's a tabloid newspaper they normally sex things up. And I wonder how many other nations troops have done similar things but we haven't heard of them? Amazing stuff though, much appreciated. Dude sounds super macho though, L.O.L.

It's from the Times, which isn't a tabloid per-se.

It's tabloid-sized, but it's a broadsheet in it's writing, and general reporting quality.

Although having said that it's owned by the Murdoch Machine, so it's probably wise to take everything with a pinch of salt...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3511901.ece

Next time he could just hide behind his giant brass testicles. The medic didn't do too bad, either.

Bah brass his balls must be titanium or some shit and I love the off the cuff Monty Python reference.

The medic and Land Rover did good too.

This thread needs more pics.

LandRoverWMIK_468x327.jpg

grenade2_434x600.jpg

gmgcover.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...7&in_page_id=1770&in_page_id=1770&expand=true

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...8&in_page_id=1965&in_page_id=1965&expand=true

supacatmos230607_468x362.jpg

NewLandRoverCRN_800x505.jpg

MWMIkMOD_800x594.jpg

A variant of TUM is the Weapons Mount Installation Kit (WMIK, pronounced ?Wimik?[2]) for use as reconnaissance and close fire support vehicles. WMIKs are manufactured jointly by Land Rover and Ricardo Vehicle Engineering and feature a strengthened chassis and are stripped down, fitted with roll cages and weapons mounts. Typically the vehicle will carry one 12.7 mm Heavy Machine Gun, 7.62 mm General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG) or on occasion the MILAN ATGM, on the rear ring-mount, with an additional pintle mounted GPMG on the front passenger side. In late 2006, the MoD announced it was purchasing 40 new belt fed Automatic Lightweight Grenade Launchers (ALGL) made by Heckler and Koch (HK GMG) that can fire up to 360 grenades per minute up to 1.5 km away, they are to be mounted on WMIKs in Afghanistan. More orders may follow depending on performance.
Land Rovers from 16th Air Assault Brigade preparing for an evening raid near Basra, Iraq.
Land Rovers from 16th Air Assault Brigade preparing for an evening raid near Basra, Iraq.

The vehicles have become a symbol of British forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. In keeping with their hearts and minds philosophy they were chosen for patrol duties instead of armoured fighting vehicles such as the Challenger 2 MBT and the Warrior IFV. Following a spate of incidents, there has been concern that the unarmoured nature of the Wolf exposes the crews to excessive danger, and are being supplemented by more heavily armoured vehicles such as the Vector and Mastiff Protected Patrol Vehicles.

The Land Rover is also being supplemented by the now British built Pinzgauer and Alvis Panther in some utility and liaison roles and the new Supercat MWMIK due to a shortfall of WMIKs. There are reports [3] that some of this equipment may have to be sold at below cost once operations in Iraq are completed as the Treasury has refused to cover the cost of replacement. In Afghanistan "an average of one of these vehicles a week" is being lost, and with replacements often arriving late a "fifth of the fleet" of WMIKs is currently "damaged or has been destroyed by enemy fire" [4].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Wolf

800px-Land_Rover_Defender_110_patrol_vehicles.jpg

Len02.jpg