ATTN: Germans, Need Travel Advice

Jmiller

Car(s)
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5
My family has decided that we are going to vacation this year in Germany and possibly par of Switzerland during the late part of July early part of August for around 2 weeks. We are trying to figure out what we want to do an see in Germany so we can figure out a rough plan and where to fly into and out of. My family is 2 male, 2 female no one under 18. I will also be turning 21 on the trip (Ya, I know this doesn?t matter in Europe as much as it does in the states).

My father would really like to see the Black Forest area with the castles etc. What else is there to do in the area? He would also love a tour of an Audi factory maybe where the A8 is built. I know they do this if you buy a new car (we already have one) but do they do this for the public?

I would love to go to the Ring and take a trip around it. What are my options here?

Any other suggestions on where to go in Germany and Switzerland? I am sure there is lots of great stuff to see, do and eat. We tend to be museum people somewhat but touristy things are ok too. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Looks like you?ll be aiming for the southwest part of germany, now I?m really not a museum sort of person (if by museums, you mean art, history, and the likes), but the Mercedes museum in Stuttgart comes to mind, which should be pretty amazing unless you?re not into cars, although in Stuttgart I?m sure you can find something interesting for the female part of the family as well. Keep in mind that you can get just about anywhere in germany in a day, so in 2 weeks you can easily check out places like Berlin and Munich if you?re OK with spending some time on the autobahn...

The ring is going to be tricky though, the scenery of the eifel is quite spectacular, but apart from that there really isn?t much in that particular part of germany if you?re not a proper petrolhead, which I?m assuming the rest of your family isn?t gonna be. I don?t know how the factory tours work at Audi, in the BMW factory you can definitely get a tour even if you didn?t buy a car, but if you don?t have connections you have to book well in advance...

Hey, we should try to place the ringmeet so he can join us!

Some places I can recommend:

Technik Museum Sinsheim / Speyer: http://www.technik-museum.de/uk/

The Cologne Cathedral

Neuschwanstein Castle

The Nordschleife (maybe you can time it to watch a VLN race, its an awesome experience outside at the Nordschleife, there is one at the 05.07.2008, 19.07.2008 and 13.09.2008, entry is FREE at the Nordschleife and I think 9? if you want access to the stands and paddock http://www.vln.de )

Berlin (in general)

Zollverein coal mine (thats in my town :))

Sanssouci Palace in Potsdam

You can definitely visit the Audi production, but you should call in advance to book a guided tour! It's only once daily Mo. - Fr. 11:30h in english, 6?/Person, call 00498002834444 :)

The Black forrest is in the south west of Germany, an area I don't really know...it has trees and mountains and no real big cities so it's the opposite of what I like ;). There IS lots of WINE down there, so if you want to get drunk... ;)

Give us a call when you come over here, maybe we can meet!

Ah, yeah, btw, plan LOADS of money for fuel (currently around 1.36?/litre diesel and 1.45?/l normal fuel :(()

Last edited by a moderator:
The Black forrest is in the south west of Germany, an area I don't really know...it has trees and mountains and no real big cities so it's the opposite of what I like ;).
yeah, that?s what I thought as well... but in 2006 we had a "deutschlandrundfahrt" by the mini forum, in the process of which I found out that they have some really nice deserted country roads with lots and lots of corners :D

Neuschwanstein Castle

Seconed
But get there in the morning, you can only go on guided tours (in english too, thank god :p) and they fill up fast, there was a gazillion people when I was there last summer.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will share them with my parents.

A cruise on the Rhein is highly recommended. :thumbup:

well, certainly the loreley area. take a boat and see lots of castles along the rhein.

Please remember that Neuschwanstein is a mock-up made of concrete and there are lots of real, less crowded castles all over Germany.

Driving down the Rhein between Mainz and Koblenz as Dins suggested is definitely great, it also neatly leads you to the Ring.

There are soo many nice places here, but I would also suggest Mainz - Rhein. See the city center, the Gutenberg Museum (invented printing) the old churches/citadell, the Kurf?rstliches Schloss/Theodor Heuss Bridge, roman remains, Loreley, the castles and small towns along the rhine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainz http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loreley
Heidelberg is also a REALY beautiful place near to Mainz.

Blackforest is cool, Eifel, Munich, Allg?u/Alps (the people there are awesome), Berlin (experience the contrast between east and west). Hamburg is nice too. I could go on and on ;)... Its a hard choice.