PS3: 40GB vs. 80GB

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Is it really worth the extra $100 for the extra 40GB, more USB ports, and PS2 support?

$500 is a lotta fucking money for a console. :(

why are you even spending money on a ps3?

unless its for GT5, the only reason why you should consider buying a ps3.

why are you even spending money on a ps3?

unless its for GT5, the only reason why you should consider buying a ps3.

And MGS4 :cool:

And the PS3 is also a Blu-ray player too.

And it cures cancer....and AIDS....at the same time. :p

$500 is NOTHING for a console Viper. 80Gb PS3's are going for $1200+ here in Oz.

Regular 40Gb is about $750ish (maybe a little cheaper at some stores)

$500 is NOTHING for a console Viper. 80Gb PS3's are going for $1200+ here in Oz.

Regular 40Gb is about $750ish (maybe a little cheaper at some stores)
Okay, but I don't live in a 3rd world country. :p

But seriously, ugh, $500+ for basically a couple games. I'm insane.

40-80 GB doesn't make that much of a difference to me.
What does, is backward compatability... if you have a PS2 now with all the "old" Gran Turismo games, you HAVE to get the 80GB version... which sorta sucks

if you don't have this, then it's a no brainer, just get the "cheapo" version and buy GT5 and play in gaming heaven until the cows come home

if you have a PS2 now with all the "old" Gran Turismo games, you HAVE to get the 80GB version... which sorta sucks

And they said Microsoft was limiting backward compatibility with the 360, now Sony has bettered them on that too. :rolleyes:

Could just use the PS2 if you're desperate to play the old games.

My sister owns a PS2, but I'm considering buying this PS3 flatout myself (rather than splitting it with my sisters), so I may want the PS2 compatibility for that long off day when I move out (no laughing! :().

if you?re buying it mainly for GT5 then I?d just sit tight for a while... they`ll probably postpone the release a million times again, and by the time the game hits the stores the PS3 will have become more affordable...

I got my PS2 when GT4 came out, and ended up being a bit disappointed. So before I go spending a shitload of money on a single game again, I?m gonna wait till it?s actually out and some people have whined about it all over the internet...

Hmm.

The only relevant reason for most people to get the 80GB as I see it, is for the PS2 support.
The size of the HDD probably doesn't matter as you can hook up an external HDD and even replace the internal one (I think), and you could probably do that for less than $100 and end up with a lot more than 40GB difference.
The USB ports, flash card reader and SACD support is probably something you know if you need or not up front.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Retail_configurations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_PlayStation_3_SKUs

Can the PS3's HDD be used as an NAS drive of sorts (can you store videos on it and play them on a PC along with the PS3)? If it can, getting the 80GB is probably worth it if you can.

I actually considered getting a wireless/USB NAS drive to connect to my 360 as a network storage drive for my PC to store videos, and a direct connection to the 360 for watching them.

Still seems like a big chunk of cash for very little improvement in the "gaming experience."

I myself am considering to get one since visiting my brother a few weeks back who has one, was playing assassin's creed for bout half an hour or so before the damm thing hung, and yes, it was an original on an unmodified set. Which brings me to the topic if there are sets that can play...hmmm ... "copied" discs? :p Anymore PS3 or 360 users to input more comments?

Just wait for the MGS4 bundle in June and get that. 80 GB PS3 + rumble controller + MGS4 for the same price the regular 80GB is now.

You can also have this bundle :D :

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/03/13/NEWS131223f35e7956629c0f91b9d52e31b35fa3f.jpg

You can also have this bundle :D :

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/03/13/NEWS131223f35e7956629c0f91b9d52e31b35fa3f.jpg

I can, but I don't think Viper can. As far as I know, the GT5P bundle is only for Europe. Besides, it doesn't come with the rumble controller. :p

I will wait until GT5 comes out. In fact, I'll start saving and I hope to have the money when it comes out.
*sigh*USD1,200*sigh* :sad: