2008 Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix

At least we now know where BMW were during winter testing:

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/03/15/2925391550x550mbartR0.jpg

:p

Also, I'm surprised no one's mentioned Honda yet; 11th and 13th isn't a shabby result.

It has been really interesting to watch the free pratices and qualifying so far(worth the 3am wakeups). The control ECU that prevents traction control and controlled engine braking is great as expected, the driving is much more spectacular.

Ferrari and Macca seem to be much closer matched than expected in qualifying. I think Kimi would have taken the pole if he had not had that glitch in the car, but the margin would not have been that big. Fantastic to see BMW up there as well, Kubica made a fantastic lap and a great recovery from the error, most would have lost much more time at that situation. The white cars appear to be quite close to the top two on a short stint, it will be interesting to see how things pan out over long distance.

Behind them it's expectedly tight between the next seven teams. If the performance differences won't increase considerably over race distance this pack is going to be very entertaining to follow, now that drivers generally make more mistakes which makes overtaking possible. Exceptionally good efforts today by Toyota by hauling both their cars to top 10, Honda for hauling their cars almost within a second from the top and Vettel for his pace.

Tomorrow's race is going to be extremely interesting. The lack of driver aids has obviously made driving trickier and full concentration is needed. Combined with the extreme temperatures forecasted for tomorrow (I think 43 degrees celcius was mentioned during the broadcast, along the term 'hottest GP ever') it is going to be a real test for the drivers. Can't wait!

And in the meantime, there's the Sebring 12 hours to follow as well :D

Great Qualifying!

Props to Kubica, he could've had pole! heh pole...polish? get it?
Very impressed how he managed to keep the car under control and get 2nd.

Shame about Raikkonen :(

And Damn man Vettel is just awesome!

Haha Alonso not in Q3!

Wow this season is going to be exciting!
Great to have F1 back!

Wow, grats to BMW first and foremost. I hope they were running a full race load rather than going light to blaze Q3. Kubica really shined in this quali, some great talent on display.

Real shame that Kimi is already getting bit with the reliability bug :/

Wow @ Renault, talk about a fall off. Was expecting them to lead the also-rans behind the front two. Instead, we get a front 3, and a bottom half performance from Renault. Guess Piquet didn't inherit anything but good connections.

Props to Honda for actually doing something this year.

I think this year is going to be interesting if there was any way to extrapolate anything meaningful from the first qualifying session of the year. Only small improvements would be needed from a handful of teams to blow the season open. But the big question right now is, is BMW for real?

quali174.jpg

BMW :thumbsup:

Wow Force India isn't last guess they made some progress too in the off season. Sucks for Raikkonen I wonder whats wrong with his car. If he was just out of gas or had some other problem they could have easily fixed before the next session Id think he'd be pissed knowing he missed out on Q2 by something like 30 feet. Kubicas Last lap was pure awesome between that and his crash at the canadian GP last year hes certainly proved hes got some big cojones.

Also according to formula1.com Timo Glock has a five spot penalty for a gearbox change:

Formula1.com:
Toyota?s Timo Glock will drop five places on the grid for the start of Sunday?s Australian Grand Prix after the team had to change the gearbox on the German?s car. Glock had qualified in ninth place at Albert Park.

Revisions to the regulations for the 2008 season require gearboxes to last for four consecutive events, but problems in Saturday morning?s final practice session forced Toyota to replace Glock?s ahead of qualifying. He is now set to start from P14.

Toyota will still have one car in the top ten on the grid. Jarno Trulli qualified sixth, after going a second faster than his new team mate in Q3. The pair set almost identical times in Q2.

Glock is going to lose 10 places now, because stewards have deemed him to have impeded another driver, which will give him another 5 places as penalty. And four other drivers have been given a reprimand for setting their best Q1 times under yellow flags.

I hope Robert will be able to defend his position tomorrow. It seems that BMW did good progress before the season.

Its my opinion that BMW are running super light, trying to capitalise on Raikkonen's misfortune. I would not be at all surprised if Kubica is the first of the front runners to pit.

Glock is going to lose 10 places now, because stewards have deemed him to have impeded another driver, which will give him another 5 places as penalty. And four other drivers have been given a reprimand for setting their best Q1 times under yellow flags.

i did wonder how so many people set laps under the yellow flags...

Pretty good Quali run actually - Toyota got up to 6th! thats very good for them and Honda got 11th, which is also good for them, but in fairness it can't get worse, unless they add a row on the back for Honda.

I don't think I'll watch the race live, its 14:43 where I am - I just got up :( Bring on the night races :p

Its my opinion that BMW are running super light, trying to capitalise on Raikkonen's misfortune. I would not be at all surprised if Kubica is the first of the front runners to pit.

Dunno if you look at the times McMerc was fast in Sector 2 while the BMW's had pace in Sector 1 and 3..I think they were running the exact loads or maybe a lap off of each other, Albert 2 has done his job, but let's see some racing now it's gonna be fun..Someone needs to get a GIF up of Kubica's WRC slide that was just a work of art in terms of car control.:cool:

Last season, even when BMW was going super light, they couldn't compete with Ferrari and McLaren. That's the first time they start from 2nd place, so I still think it's progress. But it's to early to predict how strong BMW is.

Actually, after the winter tests I thought BMW would be worse than they were last year, so I'll be happy with them even if they finish 4-5th or so tomorrow.

Was an interesting qualifying session and what a glorious city it's in :D

I don't know if any other aussies watched the celebrity challange before hand with the little fiat 500's, the commentators spent more time making fun of the car than talking about the race :p