Hammond: Richard Hammond is new face of Formula 1

So somehow Hammond will just have to pick up years of F1 history and experience to start commentating.

He doesnt watch F1... So why would he be great at it?

im not so sure on that, he has said that he does watch it... i think it was on ramseys show when ramsey went to JC's house on the isle of man. JC said he likes to do nothing better after sunday lunch than sit n watch the f1 and do nohing.

that being said, he's probably complained about the tediousness of F1 more times than i care to remember. he's one of those people where you cant tell if he does or he doesnt like it.

The BBC plans a ?brighter, bolder, faster? presentation, screening races live via broadband and mobile phones as well as conventional television.

I guess we won't be able to view it because we don't live in GB?
Ah.... the pain!

^ Maybe we'll get rips, there are a few for F1 done...

im not so sure on that, he has said that he does watch it... i think it was on ramseys show when ramsey went to JC's house on the isle of man. JC said he likes to do nothing better after sunday lunch than sit n watch the f1 and do nohing.

that being said, he's probably complained about the tediousness of F1 more times than i care to remember. he's one of those people where you cant tell if he does or he doesnt like it.

Both Richard Hammond and James May said that they don't watch F1 on a number of occasions. But even if they do, they lack the racing experience Martin Brundle has, and its so important to have that skill in order to analyse the race in depth.

What I would like to see is Clarkson/Hammond walking on the grid, interviewing each driver. That would be rather nice : ) Oh.. and to wait at the paddock, so they can pick on the drivers thats out of the race :mrgreen:

I would love to see Clarkson asking Webber "So why do you always crash?"

The BBC and then ITV commentary has long been used as an 'unofficial' world feed for commentary. Off the top of my head, the Australian, Canadian and Malaysian broadcasters use it. A lot more too (it's in the back of Murray Walker's Autobiog.) I'd assume the same deal will be in place when the coverage goes back to the Beeb.

So what do we think the credibility of this Hammond hosting F1 is? Mainly, should I main page this or not?

I don't think he'll be junk at it, if he's given a serious job, he'll do it, with infinite teeth jokes from Clarkson in the background.

Having some race experience at least he'll know the F1 excuses first hand :p

Both Richard Hammond and James May said that they don't watch F1 on a number of occasions. But even if they do, they lack the racing experience Martin Brundle has, and its so important to have that skill in order to analyse the race in depth.

What I would like to see is Clarkson/Hammond walking on the grid, interviewing each driver. That would be rather nice : ) Oh.. and to wait at the paddock, so they can pick on the drivers thats out of the race :mrgreen:

You didn't read what TurnerGTX posted on page 1 did you?

The Top Gear team, however, will be let loose in the Monte Carlo pit lane and Formula One?s other glamorous locations in an attempt to extend the audience beyond ?petrolheads?.

The BBC was offering a ?fresh face? and a commitment to exploit Formula One fully across radio, television and digital media during the five-year deal, Mr Ecclestone said.

Coverage will be influenced by the success of the Jeremy Clarkson-fronted Top Gear when the five-year deal begins next year. Dominic Coles, BBC director of sport rights, said: ?When Lewis Hamilton did a test lap on Top Gear it got more viewers than the Brazilian Grand Prix. Bernie was very impressed with the Top Gear proposition and there will be cross-fertilisation between the show and the races.?

Clarkson and James May, Hammond?s co-conspirators, will also join in the grand prix fun but insiders believe ?The Hamster? has a special affinity with drivers after his crash.

It sounds like they will be there to bring F1 to more viewers by interviewing drivers before and after the race, not commentate.

If any of them are allowed in the commentator's box it should be JC. May and Hammond have never even shown interest in F1 and should not be there.
I can see the potential in bringing TG and F1 together and it should be allot of fun, as long as the TG team don't commentate.

Thank god, the BBC have got F1...

I hate adverts in the middle of the race and the audio levels are always so out of whack too.

You have the audio turned up a bit as the audio from the GP feed is so low, then the F***ing adverts come on (DUH... DUH... DUH) and blow the wax out of you ears.

As for top formula one gear, frankly I don't think it would work, nor would I want them to try it, F1 is a serious business that would not sit well with the world class cocking about we've come to expect from TG.

So what do we think the credibility of this Hammond hosting F1 is? Mainly, should I main page this or not?

I don't think it's main page material - there's nothing in the article suggesting Hammond will be hosting, not even reading between the lines. The specific mention of the TG team being let loose in Monaco and other locations might be worth a mention though.

I dont expect the Top Gear team to be directly involved in the BBC F1 broadcasting team apart from maybe the use of their directing/producing team as a result of their expirience with filming cars and motorsports. (i know the beeb had F1 before but that was 12 years ago and a number of the team then would have moved on). I really hope Martin Brundle stay on though.

However a Top Gear F1 special would not surprise me, we may even get an interview with Kimi Raikkonen, hosted by the stig. The 2 silent driving forces meeting

Stig:_____________
Kimi: {inaudible}
Stig: _____________
Kimi: {inaudible}

...Actually, having the TG trio could be an excellent inroad for people who want to get into F1, but are intimidated or overwhelmed by all the technical stuff and numerical details that ostensibly surround the sport.

And as for concerns that their jokey style might become inappropriate should something go wrong in a race--they're smart, they're capable; they've been broadcasting how long? I feel confident that they're perfectly able to display discretion if the need arises.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out...

thats how i envisage this going... no way will they set foot in the commentary box. it just wont work, even they should realise this.

Good, its about time for James Allen to fuck off for good.

On the otherhand, the idea of Clarkson in the commentary box will probably kill the enjoyment of watching a proper F1 race without much biased comments. There are enough Lewis Hamilton praises coming from James Allen already, I don't need Clarkson to come and add his 2 cents comment, it's fine for relaxing motoring show like TopGear, it's not gonna work with a serious sport like F1.

I think Martin Brundle is doing a fantastic job. In fact, him and Murray made F1 100000X more interesting. So as long as Martin Brundle stays as the main commentator, I have no prolem with the changes.

Martin Brundle + Murray Walker FTMFW!!!

Ok I'm not being funny i trolled around the forum just for a laugh but after reading this I'm throwing my two cents in.

Murray Walker is a burk. I mean yes he has the voice but he's just as bad as James Allen. No joke probably worse.

Not to mean that james allen isn't crap

Murray Walker is just too old. When he was on ITV he was getting a lot of stuff wrong and Martin Brundle had to correct him on everything he said. Yes the man is a legend but he's had his day.

The Top Gear team would be interesting in say pre race banter and annoying people because they do that quite well, but commentating? No. They need someone to go with Martin Brundle and whats to say that Martin Brundle might not be involved anymore.

Pre Race Grid walk is good
The pre Race Chit Chat is good too.
But honestly Doesn't anyone remember Murray Walker on the BBC. No Pre Race No Grid Walk no nothing it was just commentating and he WAS good, but the coverage was shite and they deserved to loose it.

If it goes back to being that bad then the whole move is pointless. Unless they can actually improve on the standard which I'm not too sure the BBC can do then ......

Biggest bastard problem with ITV - stupid commercials.
At the moment I'm in Sweden and if you could hear their commentator who is a complete moron you'd realise how decent ITV coverage really really is.

But honestly Doesn't anyone remember Murray Walker on the BBC. No Pre Race No Grid Walk no nothing it was just commentating and he WAS good, but the coverage was shite and they deserved to loose it.

There was some form of "gridwalk", but not as we know it today; the pitlane guy, who was Tony Jardine at the time, would be instructed who and when to interview, and the interviews would come. The current gridwalk bit is much more spontaneous and probably much more enjoyable. There was also a bit of a pre-race show, with insight on the race, on the location and so on, but it's been trumped now (of course, now with much more advanced means of doing television work :D )

I don't think it's main page material - there's nothing in the article suggesting Hammond will be hosting, not even reading between the lines. The specific mention of the TG team being let loose in Monaco and other locations might be worth a mention though.
Okay, I'll wait for some more solid evidence or lack thereof.