LED Taillights

Ilpav

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Corolla LE
Who here absolutely HATES LED taillights? I do. I was driving yesterday behind a newer Cadillac Escalade and when normal lights are on (no braking) there's just one vertical line of LEDs that are lit up at the outer ends of the taillights. Then when the brakes come on, all 48 million of the other ones fire and it's so freakin bright!!! And the stupid owner was one of those who kept depressing the brake pedal a little, then lets off, and then goes back on again within like 2 seconds and he/she did that for like 10 seconds straight. And this was at night too!!!

I HATE LED taillights!!!

Edit: Actually, I don't hate all LED taillights, I don't mind the Infiniti G35's because the bulbs are bigger. I HATE LED TAILLIGHTS THAT HAVE SMALL LED BULBS!!!!!!! :p

I'm 100% behind you on this, they are just too bright much brighter than is necessary.

I've noticed how on some cars, the pattern of the LEDs gets imprinted on my eye, and then I see those lights in neon blue for about 5 seconds after they've gone off. Worst I've seen are the double circles on the GMC Acadia (they're so f'ing bright... seems like USA cars are filling in all their years of primitive non-xenon headlights with ridiculous taillights). I've also noticed how if you move your eyes away quickly, the LEDs kinda trail off rather than normal lights that just go away. Maybe it has something to do with the wavelength of the lights.... or maybe its just my eyes being retarded...

But I'm with you all the way.... Down with LED taillights

Anyone know why the US Accord went from LEDs to traditional?

I don't mind them... then again I'm usually not bothering to notice taillamps unless they're out.

And another thing I forgot to mention about the Escalade is that the large amount of LEDs in the taillights are either on or off. On normal bulbs, the lights are still on and go a bit brighter when the brakes come on, so you kind of get used to it and don't mind them turning a bit brighter. But in the Escalade, when your getting used to just those two thin, vertical lines of LED's, all the other ones turn on and you're almost blinded.

Who here absolutely HATES LED taillights? I do. I was driving yesterday behind a newer Cadillac Escalade and when normal lights are on (no braking) there's just one vertical line of LEDs that are lit up at the outer ends of the taillights. Then when the brakes come on, all 48 million of the other ones fire and it's so freakin bright!!! And the stupid owner was one of those who kept depressing the brake pedal a little, then lets off, and then goes back on again within like 2 seconds and he/she did that for like 10 seconds straight. And this was at night too!!!

I HATE LED taillights!!!

Edit: Actually, I don't hate all LED taillights, I don't mind the Infiniti G35's because the bulbs are bigger. I HATE LED TAILLIGHTS THAT HAVE SMALL LED BULBS!!!!!!! :p

This is the same kind of whining that went on when:

Cars switched from ONE taillight to TWO.
Cars went from one bulb per lamp to two.
Cars went from two bulbs to more bulbs.
Cars went from 6V bulbs to 12V bulbs.
Cars went from oil lamps to incandescents.
Cars went from incandescents to halogens.
Cars went from halogens to HIDs.

Note that the same people (or type of people) who complained about the advances in lighting also complain that the old ones are too hard to see.

Shut up and stop whinging.

I'm 100% behind you on this, they are just too bright much brighter than is necessary.

Guess what the number one excuse for rear-ending someone is? "I couldn't see your brake lights go on." By switching to bright LEDS, people no longer have that excuse.

I've been rear ended FOUR times by people who gave that as an excuse. If I could figure out a way to mount something with the output power of a giant klieg light on the back of my vehicles for use as a stop lamp, I would.

I've noticed how on some cars, the pattern of the LEDs gets imprinted on my eye, and then I see those lights in neon blue for about 5 seconds after they've gone off. Worst I've seen are the double circles on the GMC Acadia (they're so f'ing bright... seems like USA cars are filling in all their years of primitive non-xenon headlights with ridiculous taillights). I've also noticed how if you move your eyes away quickly, the LEDs kinda trail off rather than normal lights that just go away. Maybe it has something to do with the wavelength of the lights.... or maybe its just my eyes being retarded...

But I'm with you all the way.... Down with LED taillights

It's your eyes being retarded. You may have the early stage of an optical disease, I suggest you have your eyes looked at (seriously, you shouldn't have afterimages like that).

Anyone know why the US Accord went from LEDs to traditional?

Lower power consumption, lower maintenance, common parts between the regular car and the hybrid version, better visibility.

And another thing I forgot to mention about the Escalade is that the large amount of LEDs in the taillights are either on or off. On normal bulbs, the lights are still on and go a bit brighter when the brakes come on, so you kind of get used to it and don't mind them turning a bit brighter. But in the Escalade, when your getting used to just those two thin, vertical lines of LED's, all the other ones turn on and you're almost blinded.

Well, then you don't have the excuse of "I didn't see you braking."

And no, on normal bulbs, they're *supposed* to get a LOT brighter when you hit the brakes, but the nature of incandescents is that they dim out with age. You obviously don't remember when the Chrysler LH cars were new - they had some startlingly bright brake lights, and they weren't LEDs.

Last edited:
Guess who killed this thread? Sounds like sp-rectal. :p

Bah, just wait until you get rammed from behind by some Mexican whose only words of English appear to be, "Me no see you lights, man!" :mrgreen::mad::lol:

Bah, just wait until you get rammed from behind by some Mexican whose only words of English appear to be, "Me no see you lights, man!" :mrgreen::mad::lol:
Texas..... :p

I don't particularly care for how bright they are, but I'm easily distracted by bright things.

Texas..... :p

I don't particularly care for how bright they are, but I'm easily distracted by bright things.

Thats why they put reflectors on all the road signs and markers in the pavement. Pay attention or don't drive.

I like LEDs if they're done tastefully. Not in a "lets rice the crap out of this Honda" way. These are pretty nice

maserati-3200_rear.jpg

BMW5series3.jpg

They work too, because not only are they brighter than regular ones (which you want in brake lights) but they light up a bit faster so people behind see it earlier and don't assram you as a consquence

Oh and they work too as headlights :

audi-r8-led-headlight-detail-lg.jpg

In conclusion : LEDs for teh win!

Guess what the number one excuse for rear-ending someone is? "I couldn't see your brake lights go on." By switching to bright LEDS, people no longer have that excuse.

I've been rear ended FOUR times by people who gave that as an excuse. If I could figure out a way to mount something with the output power of a giant klieg light on the back of my vehicles for use as a stop lamp, I would.
A dumbass who can't tell a car is slowing down won't be helped with brighter bulbs. You know what THE biggest reason why it's hard to see brake lights on US cars? It's the fact that the fucking thing has normal lights that are red, then when you brake they turn slightly more red with the middle brake light that is often out as it's a bitch to replace. Not to mention that turn signals are ALSO FUCKING RED and just blink. If you have clearly separated parking lights and brake lights it makes it much easier to tell if the car is braking.

You will immediately see more of a light cluster light up as opposed to seeing the same light get brighter...

I can't say I've ever had an issue being able to tell when someone starts braking (except when their brake lights are stuck on). The difference between normal taillights and brake lights is pretty significant, enough so that I question whether a person who can't tell the difference should be driving in the first place.

This topic is ridiculous.

Next thing you know, people are going to say HID lamps are too bright....

Last edited: