Highway tolling system in your country?

E-Zpass and its equivalents have been successfully used in litigation and prosecution.

...so my normal toll bill is $120-160 a month

:blink: That's a bit steep. How long are the toll road sections? And how many cars per day on that street? They make a fortune.

Greetings, lip

Ive never paid money to drive a particular place, besides gas money

so no?

Norway is full of those toll posts. The government usually spend the money on building bridges and tunnels where 10 people live. Already when you enter Norway (coming from Sweden), you can tell how poor our roads are.

:blink: That's a bit steep. How long are the toll road sections? And how many cars per day on that street? They make a fortune.

Greetings, lip

That is a higher than average toll bill. As for the roads, they are very well maintained and the traffic is usually good except at peak rush hour.

Yesterday, they have announced that they would replace the 40 EUR a year vignettes for cars with microwave transponders. The transponders should use the microwave gates that are now used for the electronic toll billing that applies to lorries, but contrary to the electronic toll, the transponders for cars should be simpler, anonymous, transferable (can be used in different cars, if you don't drive them both on a motorway at the same time) and there should still be a yearly payment of 40 EUR, not payments by the distance travelled. The transponders should be sold or lent against a deposit, the price should be about 10-20 EUR. It is supposed to be introduced next year, which, I think, is a bit unrealistic.
I don't really know what to think about this, on one hand it's good that the transponders could be used in different cars and they swear that it can't and won't ever be used by the police for issuing speeding tickets or tracking people. On the other hand, once they have those transponders amongst people, the government may just as well announce, that they've changed their minds and that they will use it for spying on people after all, or that they will introduce the payment by kilometre scheme instead of the yearly payment, which sucks. I already pay about 5 EUR for every 100 kilometres on fuel taxes. And it will be quite difficult and confusing for the foreigners, they'd have to get the transponder when entering the country and return when leaving, or just keep it for the next time but then they wouldn't get the deposit back.

^^ There should be special payment for foreigners.

What about the situation when a foreigner just want to use Czech motorways but his destination is another country?

The best solution is 1-day or 7-days vignette.

Austria has a 10 day version too. Hopefully we'll have something like that.

EDIT: just asked around, it's a 6 month one for 35 euro, which sucks majorly for people who just want to pass through. GG government... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Now there are some short term vignettes too, they didn't say, whether there would be some short-term subsciption for the transponders as well, but I assume there would be. But the lending and returning of the transponders at the borders would be nuisance anyway. I don't think they would keep the short term vigenttes along with the transponders though, as many foreigners drive without them and one of the main goals of this is to make everyone pay.

I'm pretty sure everybody will forget to take the transponder at the border.

I read that there will be the same vignette system for whole EU, but that's not going to happen soon.

Austria has a 10 day version too. Hopefully we'll have something like that.

EDIT: just asked around, it's a 6 month one for 35 euro, which sucks majorly for people who just want to pass through. GG government... :rolleyes:

Wait, so they are gonna abolish the toll booths completely, so everyone will have to buy at least the 35 EUR vignette? Now that really sucks, I thought it would only be an addtional option to the toll booths.

Yeah, no toll booths, apart from a single or 2 lanes for lorries. But this also means that someone who just wants to go to the seaside from austria to croatia will either have to go through hungary or pay 35 euro to cross Slovenia. :rolleyes:

We do have a lot of tolled roads (turnpikes) here on the east coast of the US. I live along the Maine Turnpike, but luckily just south of its southernmost toll booth, which charges $1.75 in each direction. As you head north, it's free to exit the turnpike, but it costs $.60 to enter. And then, as you head further north, there's a $1.00 barrier toll and then a final $1.25 barrier toll. So, for me to go up to the city of Portland, about 45 miles away, or even a town 25 miles north - It would cost $4.10. The length of the 100 mile Turnpike would cost $4.00.

To the south in New Hampshire along Interstate 95 there is a $1.50 barrier toll halfway between Maine and Massachusetts. There's also another turnpike with a couple $.75 barrier tolls to the northwest. And then in Boston there is a $3.00 toll for the Tobin Bridge, which provides access to commuters from the north. Like me.

But, if you have E-Z Pass you're pretty well set for not having to come to a complete stop, but the infrastructure hasn't been built yet for high-speed toll plazas here. You pass through the booth but don't stop. In Maine the speed limit is 10mph through the toll booth.

Last edited:
That shit reminds me of Minority Report with those eye scanners in the subways. :blink:

The London C-Charge is enforced by automatic license plate readers. If you're not on the database as having paid for that day, your plate will be read by a machine as you enter the charging zone, and a computer will raise a fine for fine you (with a bored council monkey responsible for the final check).

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/congestioncharging/6718.aspx

The only toll road I know about (in the traditional sense) that isn't a bridge is the M6 toll, which is a kind of paid for short cut/congestion relieving road thingy.

http://www.m6toll.co.uk/

The London C-Charge is enforced by automatic license plate readers. If you're not on the database as having paid for that day, your plate will be read by a machine as you enter the charging zone, and a computer will raise a fine for fine you (with a bored council monkey responsible for the final check).

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/congestioncharging/6718.aspx

The only toll road I know about (in the traditional sense) that isn't a bridge is the M6 toll, which is a kind of paid for short cut/congestion relieving road thingy.

http://www.m6toll.co.uk/

And here's a solution for speed cameras and congestion charging cameras:

[youtube]ePH-XcjqSNU[/youtube]

It's called a license plate flipper. www.speedflip.com makes this particular one (site seems to be down). There are many others on the market, all costing around $75 USD or so.

It's called a license plate flipper. www.speedflip.com makes this particular one (site seems to be down). There are many others on the market, all costing around $75 USD or so.

If the police catch you using shit like that (and if you're going to be driving around central London with no visible number plate, they will), you will get quite badly slapped.

Yeah, but you don't drive around with the plate flipped down all the time. You only do it while passing the camera checkpoints.

And you could put the license plate from a junker on, so when your real plate flips down, it looks like you still have a plate.

That said, none of my cars can mount this device as none of them have a sufficient recess that the thing wouldn't be stupendously obvious. Oh well. Guess I have to keep paying the TollTag fees. :D

I'm amazed at the idiots who have to come up with any kind of way to "screw the man". :rolleyes: If you got stopped for a routine check by the cops, you can bet your pretty virgin ass that they'll find it. And you can't put plates off a junker on it around here, cause as soon as a vehicle is unregistered, the plates get destroyed for that very reason.