2008 Formula 1 Season Thread

Sorry for the double post, but this deserves its own post...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66160

Balestre passes away aged 87

By Pablo Elizalde Friday, March 28th 2008, 16:50 GMT

Former FIA president Jean Marie Balestre has passed away at the age of 87, French media reported on Friday.

Balestre was president of FISA from 1979 to 1991 and then of the FIA from 1986 to 1993, before Max Mosley took over the position.

The cause of his death is yet unknown.

"This is a tremendous loss for motorsport," French motorsport federation president Nicolas Deschaux was quoted as saying by TF1. "He always knew how to carry the voice of the institutions he managed."

Former grand prix driver Jacques Laffite told L'Equipe: "We drivers loved him so much. He did a lot for us. We owe him enormously."

More to follow.

That sucks. For a second I thought it was Mosley and I was jumping around in joy :p...but this guy was good.

That sucks. For a second I thought it was Mosley and I was jumping around in joy :p...but this guy was good.

Balestre was good? I don't think everyone agrees, especially Senna fans :p

Anyway, he did good things to F1 and not so good things just like Mosley.

Rest in Peace

Balestre was good? I don't think everyone agrees, especially Senna fans :p

Anyway, he did good things to F1 and not so good things just like Mosley.

Rest in Peace

Hrmm, all the accounts I've read dont paint him in a particularly brilliant light either. Read Alan Henry's 'The Powerbrokers' book which details in great depth the FOCA/FISA wars of the 80s and how Max Mosely saved F1 with his defeat of Balestre in the FIA elections. Ironic that we face a pretty similar situation now...

Well he was better than Mosley...but you're right, that's not exactly hard to do...

9vghv8.jpg

:lmao: Why, Fisi..... why?

^ Thats just.....quite odd.

So uh why is he shirtless? Is he gonna experience 300 kmph shirtless? Maybe he was going fast that his racing suit was blown away :lol:

I'm think too much about this, it's probably unhealthy.

Wrong season but does anyone have any pictures of the cars testing the 2009 aero? Even an artists impression would be good.

nobody talking about Kubicas pole ?:woot:

Thanks for spoiling it moron! From now on all race discussion goes in the race thread!!!!! I thought we all knew that.

Wrong season but does anyone have any pictures of the cars testing the 2009 aero? Even an artists impression would be good.

I don't think so, most teams are still in the concept stages I think. James Allen mentioned on ITV yesterday that those he has spoken to on the subject all agree it is slightly bizarre looking with big, huge front wings and small rear wings...

Thanks for spoiling it moron! From now on all race discussion goes in the race thread!!!!! I thought we all knew that.

Geez don't you watch f1 live ? i thought everybody watched the qualifying,
ok so i should of used the spoiler thing that you have to click to see, sorry 'bout that.

Geez don't you watch f1 live ? i thought everybody watched the qualifying,
ok so i should of used the spoiler thing that you have to click to see, sorry 'bout that.

We get the most rubbish deal in Australia with F1. Qualifying (if it's shown) is generally about 1:30am (considering the actual event takes place at around 9pm, it's a bad deal), and the race often 1-2 hours delayed coverage depending on what Channel 10 have scheduled for the night.

Every grand prix night, it's a battle for us* to keep from knowing the results (don't go to F1 sites, forums, news telecasts, even MSN contacts) and while this forum has a pretty easy policy regarding spoilers, it's nice to keep it all in the one race thread.

*Most of us anyway. The smart ones find a live online stream they can watch...:p

I've noticed channel 7 (here in Australia) seem to be given Formula 1 a lot more attention these days, a sign of them bidding for TV rights in the near future?

We get the most rubbish deal in Australia with F1. Qualifying (if it's shown) is generally about 1:30am (considering the actual event takes place at around 9pm, it's a bad deal), and the race often 1-2 hours delayed coverage depending on what Channel 10 have scheduled for the night.

I know it sucks, but it's the reality of commercial tv. However, I think there's hope. When Ten launched their HD channel there were rumours of live F1 & MotoGP coverage. So far we've had the MotoGP shown live (while it was delayed on the regular SD channel), and NASCAR airing on Sunday & Monday mornings. So with a bit of luck there's some truth to the rumour, and at the very least those of us with access to the HD channel might get live(ish) F1 coverage, rather than waiting for Big Brother to finish.

Does anyone know which teams will be present at the Barcelona test on 14-16 April?