1992 Camaro project - Halfway there

I'll be completley honest in saying I have never heard of a Chevy 9 bolt rear.

From the sounds of it though, it'll be good as long as you don't break it!

ahhh sexy! and with disc brakes! congrats man. handle it with care. im sure itll last up to whatever punishment your going to throw at it aslong as you dont decide to do burnout to every location you plan on going to. "hold on mom im going to the store" *leaves a trail of smoke in his wake* XD thatll definitely cause some rear end problems haha

Some more picture whorage.

re100_6453.jpg

These are hte PBR rear calipers from the angle you'd normally see them. The rotor is obviously rusty as hell, I'll replace the rotors/pads before it goes on the car. It'll look much better with a shiny rotor there.

BTW those calipers are pricy as hell to replace. $100 a piece new, $140 without a core!

re100_6448.jpg

3.27 gears. Not as low as I'd like, but they'll work.

And yeah, the 9-bolts are very rare. Generally they're not worth the trouble because of how hard it is to get parts for them, actually. They are made by Borg Warner in Australia so they didnt see much use anywhere but over there, where they're apparently very common. They were meant as an upgrade to the 10-bolt from 85-89 when tehy were on the firebirds (mine is from a firebird) and 87-88 or so on Camaros. But since they had to import them from Australia it was too expensive and they dropped it as an option completely for the 1990 model year.

Last edited:
www.rockauto.com they have good products at good prices. and summit racing will probably have some nice rotors for you gl!

The only 9-bolt parts they have are the cover gasket and one of the pinion bearings. :lol:

More than most places, though... :mad:

Rotors and pads are only going to set me back around $100 though.

You do plan to hit that with a wire brush and some paint before it goes in, right?

I'd never heard of a 9-bolt either. Looks like your project is coming along pretty good.

I've been meaning to ask, what is involved as far as prep work goes to repaint the whole rear end? I want to get it nice and black (and not partially rust colored) again and Im not sure what kind of paint I need to use even. ANd by wire brush, do you mean ah and brush or do you mean a powered brush? Like for a drill/dremel/grinder?

I plan on painting up the calipers just like this. Clean off the aluminum part with a wire brush and paint the iron part red to match the car!

drcar.jpg

Last edited:
I've been meaning to ask, what is involved as far as prep work goes to repaint the whole rear end? I want to get it nice and black (and not partially rust colored) again and Im not sure what kind of paint I need to use even. ANd by wire brush, do you mean ah and brush or do you mean a powered brush? Like for a drill/dremel/grinder?

I plan on painting up the calipers just like this. Clean off the aluminum part with a wire brush and paint the iron part red to match the car!

drcar.jpg

id suggest for cleaning of the rear get a 4" grinder or so and get the steel wire cup attachment
gangsilun4.gif
like that and attacking it. wear a mask and be careful. as far as paint. im sure some kind of rustolium would be fine

It depends on how much you want to put into it. You can use just a hand wire brush or a drill attachment, or even have it sand blasted and powder coated if you wanted.

As for paint, you can rattle can it if you want, but I don't think it would hold up very long. I'd recomend getting some special paint that was made this kind of job. It goes by many names like POR-15 (Paint Over Rust), Miracle Paint, Chassis Saver. It basically seals up the rust and deprives it of oxygen so it can't rust again. It works better on a rusty surface than it would on bare metal.

All you do is knock the loose rust off with a brush and wipe it down with some degreaser and it's ready for the paint. Do wear gloves because it will not come off your hands till the skin dies. It's not very cheap, but it was made for the underside so it won't flake off on you after a little while.

Miracle Paint http://www.hirschauto.com/departments.asp?dept=1
POR-15 http://www.por15.com/

EDIT: I'm sorry, I just now checked the first link, I guess I put too much faith in Google. It's been corrected.

Last edited:
PBR2.jpg

PBR4.jpg

PBR3.jpg

I think it's quite an improvement. I've done that to both of them now, but I"m off to get a proper wire wheel to get in the smaller nooks in there.

Last edited:
For the calipers, I'd grab a can of Duplicolor high heat enamle, and have you decided on what you'll do with the rear end?

For the calipers, I'd grab a can of Duplicolor high heat enamle, and have you decided on what you'll do with the rear end?

The 10-bolt is going in the backyard to rot or be a guinea pig for experiments.

THe 9-bolt is going in the car.

Unless you meant what I was going to do to it?

Just POR 15 the thing black after taking the wire brush to it. Thinking about painting the sway bar and springs red, though...

The sway bars shouldn't be a problem, but the springs might. I'd try hitting them with the POR and see how it holds up.

I'm pretty sure you can paint springs. In the 80s, people used to chrome springs on show truck :yucky:

For the caliper paint go with a ceramic enamel which is used for engine block paint. You can buy it at Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Autozone, and O'Reilly's.

Nah Im going to leave the calipers plain. If they were iron I'd paint them, but they're aluminum, I want to show that off. :D They're not going to rust.

I'm planning on painting that little iron bracket, like this:

drcar.jpg

I think iron calipers should be painted, aluminum calipers should stay plain aluminum.

Also, look what I just brought home!

l_85567012173fd24201d3f4ef8cc38f2d.jpg

Looks like she's going to go back together this weekend!