Building a dream

I thought the RB26 head didn't fit the RB30 block, or at least not without a MAJOR amount of work. I could have sworn it was the RB25 head people swapped :dunno:

Maybe it was a RB25 head, I only remember they swapped the RB30's single cam head for a dual cam head.

I thought the RB26 head didn't fit the RB30 block, or at least not without a MAJOR amount of work. I could have sworn it was the RB25 head people swapped :dunno:

Maybe it was a RB25 head, I only remember they swapped the RB30's single cam head for a dual cam head.

Listen to the man....

RB26 head fits the rb30 block just as easy as the r33 rb25 head. The rb25 head swap may be more common because it is cheaper.
To fit rb26 head you need to drill the block for the thicker head bolts and away you go. With the r33 rb25 head you need to sort out the oil feed for the vct which also feeds the front journal on the intake cam. The r32 rb25de head bolts up easy but has smaller ports.

There is nothing unreliable about the os giken rb30 kit, it is rated to 10,000rpm.

The rb30 block is also a pain to use in a gtr because the gtr sump/front diff does not directly bolt up to the block.

My engine is a RB25/30 with VCT, you also have to attack the left hand side water gallery casting ridges with a grinder otherwise your exhaust manifold won't fit.

As for the RB26 head, drilling and using a tap wrench (erm M16X1.5?) isn't that hard to do....still I havent done a RB26 head myself so yeah....

I'm told the RB30 has a harmonic issue at 7800rpm, not sure if its true or not, but realise you have 3 Litres and only-God-knows-how-much-boost, so why don't you be nice to your poor motor and pull another gear?

Didn't Kier Wilson or someone local have a OS RB30? Isn't that the kit with the block spacer?

Last edited:
Listen to the man....
:love: ;)

Didn't Kier Wilson or someone local have a OS RB30? Isn't that the kit with the block spacer?

Yes he did/does. Thats the one, comes with block spacer, full-counterweight crank, rods and pistons. The rods are also longer (138.35) than stock gtr (121.5) giving a better rod/stroke ratio which helps a bit with the revs. Still not as nice as the factory nissan rb30e rod length (152.5)

Speaking of rb30 + rb25 heads here is one getting built right now...

rb30 block built with forged pistons, rods, etc

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/04/08/DSCF5891.jpg

r33 rb25det head sitting in the parts washer

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/04/08/DSCF5889.jpg

another rb30 block ready to go

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/04/08/DSCF5893.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/04/08/DSCF5894.jpg

Got another one to tune tomorrow with a 3540 on it. In some 180sx drift car.

Maybe i should start another thread for this stuff?

Maybe i should start another thread for this stuff?

Nah, keep it coming. Breaking down the technical aspect of how the dream would work out is something I wish more of us were able to do.

Yes he did/does. Thats the one, comes with block spacer, full-counterweight crank, rods and pistons.

I think I've seen pics of that kit. First thing that came to my mind is "why have 1 head gasket failure when you can have TWO!"

Kajun mentioned a harmonic issue with the RB30/26 combo, what about getting the above kits crank and fitting it in the RB30 block and going with the longer rods and shoving the RB26 head on it? Assuming it could be done, it seems to me it could make for the best combo yet.

From memory the OS Giken kit uses steel sleeves for a continuous cylinder so the gasket at the spacer to block face only needs to seal coolant and oil.

In theory you should be able to use the OS Giken crank in an rb30 block but afaik you can not get the os crank seperately. It comes as a complete kit including a new rb26 block already assembled.

Here is a rb30 block with rb26 gtr head built a few months ago for a 260z.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/04/09/rb30-26-a.jpg

You can see the little spacer made up for the gap in the timing belt cover due to the taller block.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/04/09/rb30-26-b.jpg

Last edited:
A 3rd-gen Supra with an ex-Lexus 1UZ V8 is tickling my mind right now.

Man, I envy you Australians, got all the Skyline goodies readily available. Good info though.

Between all this engine talk and playing with the Cadillac Cien in GT4, I'd really like to build something with the Northstar XV12.

GMNorthstarXV12.jpg

It shattered my beliefs that cars were merely means of transportation but rather something to enjoy, the C107 SLC.

Mercedes-benz_SLC_C107.jpg

A few (40 car test series?) were converted to diesel engines which sounds (literally) like a bad idea (and most likely was), although looking at the brand new engine with its rigid fuel pipes going to the injectors when I was a boy did make me appreciate the mechanical beauty of it. Just to recreate this memory I'd go for the diesel.

Apart from the engine all stock, silver metallic exterior, black leather interior. Considering the diesel performance and sound and to keep it in pristine condition (other than fingerprints all over), it'd be a pure showpiece and I still need something to drive.

1978_Mercedes_Benz_450_SLC_AMG_Mampe_Lufthansa_Race_Car_Front_1.jpg

A modern version of this would be my absolute dream track toy. Whatever current MB/AMG engine fits dimension and weight wise, 6 speed sequential transmission, custom H&R suspension, composite/carbon fiber panels, modern safety cell, polycarbonate windows, Wilwood/Tarox brakes...

i don't know if this is silly to some people, but since i'm currently in love with the subaru legacy/liberty, back in the day i've wanted to make it into a JGTC/Super GT GT500 class race car.

or just put a porsche 3.6L i think? turboed or twin turboed engine into the legacy and with the right mods to make it a good daily driver AND track day car. that'd be real cool. i'm guessing boxer to boxer swap shouldn't be hard? or maybe it existed already...

My new dream would be this.
Heh, do you dream of building it, driving it, or both?

I don't remember if I posted this yet or not, but for a long time I wanted to make my Yamaha into some sort of wierd ass old supermoto bike. It's already fairly stiffly sprung, and I could lower it a little bit pretty easily. It needs new tires so I could just go with some decent street tires. The one thing I really want to do though is swap out the front end for a later, disc-braked set of forks. Short of that, it's already got a UNI filter in place of the stock airbox and I'm trying to track down a larger jet for the carb. Maybe I'll crack 30hp :lol:.

Only thing I know for sure about my dream car is it has to be a pre-1971 Mustang fastback, a motor bigger than 427CID and black, silver or red... or a combo of the three.

Heh, do you dream of building it, driving it, or both?
Both, of course!

I think the demigod who built that should start a kit-car business: custom Countaches done right. No more annoying half-assed Fiero kits being propelled by lame Iron Dukes, fist-sized chunks of Bondo falling off the junkyard-special Flowmasters...I would definitely consider getting one.

I don't remember if I posted this yet or not, but for a long time I wanted to make my Yamaha into some sort of wierd ass old supermoto bike. It's already fairly stiffly sprung, and I could lower it a little bit pretty easily. It needs new tires so I could just go with some decent street tires. The one thing I really want to do though is swap out the front end for a later, disc-braked set of forks. Short of that, it's already got a UNI filter in place of the stock airbox and I'm trying to track down a larger jet for the carb. Maybe I'll crack 30hp :lol:.

Hmm...:think:

kwxhd.jpg

864sqdd.jpg

608.jpg

Yamaha450_lg.jpg

Now get cracking!

For a few years I've been wanting to get my hands on an old Triumph, either a Spitfire or a Herald, as a restoration project but unfortunately I have nowhere to do the work at the moment. I'm not sure why these cars appeal to me, but I did shout at the telly quite a lot when Top Gear turned that Herald into a yacht. I laughed though, so I do still have a sense of humour (and it was funny :D ). Another option would be a later Hillman Minx (about 1963-ish).

I think it could be because I do so much with computers (I'm a not-very-mature student studying networking and prior to that I did systems admin) that the idea of something simple and non-computerised appeals to me. When I was a teenager (I can just about remember those days) I used to have a Honda Melody (*blush*) and I always maintained it myself and I love the idea of getting out the Hayne's manual and the toolkit and having a fiddle again.

I'm about to sell my house, gods willing, so I might finally be able to go somewhere with the space to do what I want, but I'm considering getting a Honda P50 to restore as a gentle easing back into the whole "dismantling and rebuilding stuff". Plus, if I can't sell my house, I have enough space in my shed to do that :)

I have 2 Dream Cars..

First would be to get one of these E-Type Jags

e-type_1024.jpg
More then likely a wreck to save $$$

then Work my ass of to buy 2(two) of these S2000 motors..

F20C%20CLEAN.jpg

Stick them together one in front of the other and have a 9000 RPM Strait 8 insanity machine. Turbo charge? I think maybe that could be done.

NEXT would be to get a wreched 80's Corvette

Ironically just like this picture I just found

side.jpg

Strip every inch of body off of it. Then my brother and I go about welding a custom Square tube and tube frame to wrap it in an Ariel Atom like body cage to match this Lego Supercar.

100_2817.jpg

Red Painted Frame and fixed headlights just like the lego car.

And The reason I want an 80's vette is because I can convert it to run on propane much easier if it uses a carburetor or early TBI. Not sure if exchanging the body panels for steel tubes will acutally save any weight.. But damn it will look cool.

Stick them together one in front of the other and have a 9000 RPM Strait 8 insanity machine. Turbo charge? I think maybe that could be done.

It'll shake itself to pieces faster than you could say "crankshaft wobble". There's a reason people stopped making straight eight engines.