The Free Tibet Thread

Personally I don't know enough about what it's like over there, causes etc and I suspect the vast majority of protestors don't either because hey it's "cool" to protest

Agreed.

I do think Tibet is better off, economically now than it would have been if left to fend by itself. I also think that if completely independant, they wouldn't have enough income to pay for everything...... tourism just won't cover it all.

Western governments were telling the Chinese government not to be harsh when putting down the recent protests but two things come from this 1) It was started by "Free Tibet" / Monks and 2) Start a riot in the US/UK and see how authorites (police / swat) treat the troublemakers there. Okay, maybe not the UK anymore given the namby pamby nature of the police these days but you get the picture.

I told the BBC the same thing a few weeks ago...... comments and critisism of the Chinese government is made almost exclusively by people that have never been. I've been going in and out for more than 12-yrs and have seen huge improvements and if you consider what the starting point was just 20-yrs ago, the progress and rate of progress is better than it was in the West before.

by the way that picture makes me :puke:

by the way that picture makes me :puke:

2284766152_f0c5b12e64.jpg

Now that it's time to bash dem Chinamen again...the topic of Tibet is once again huge. Protestors in San Francisco (c'mon guys, protestors in SanFran? Nobody saw this coming?!) are hanging themselves off bridges and using the sanctity of the Olympics as the sounding board for their global pet peeve of the month. Instead of enjoying the first time the Olympics have ever descended upon one of the world's oldest civilizations, it's become a mass orgy of violent protests designed to make the entire country look like a bunch of hapless, fearmongering fascists.

To be fair, those who claim that Tibet is being raped and pillaged by the dastardly ChiComs usually cite the mass immigration of Han workers into Lhasa, via the new railway that just opened. (Oh, and the Dalai Lama's still in India.) They say that the Olympics will be the perfect platform to raise awareness of the situation and to pressure the government into taking action. Yet I'd rather not see the Olympics turned into petty bickering and wanton attacks on torchbearers like Jin Jing, who defended the torch from angry pussies that nearly knocked her off her wheelchair...

Img214297269.jpg

My hero of the week (she's cute too :wub:).

There's other ways of putting pressure on Hu Jintao and his band of cocknuggets than tackling people like that Scottish guy that slide-tackled that Palestinian runner a few years ago. After all, the pressure from air quality actually led somewhere in the right direction.

Either way, I know I'll be flying my Chinese flag proudly knowing that I can both hate on the corrupt, oppressive Chinese government and enjoy the message of peace and love that the Olympics once carried instead of falling prey to such self-righteous bandwagon-hopping bullshit.

Oh, and I totally can't wait to go in August. Got my tickets ready and everything. China, fuck yeah! :mrgreen:

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=CUptLxm8qnk[/YOUTUBE]

1) There is nothing I can do to change the situation one way or another
2) It has no direct effect on me
3) I'm tired of seeing "Free Tibet!" on the back of smoky old VW vans and rusting Volvo 240s.
4) Did I mention there is nothing I can do to change it?

I'm not going to work myself up over every social and political injustice - the world is full of them, get used to it, live your life the best you can.

In other words, welcome to life - it can such at times, that's why it's called life.

That's quite the old sentiment there, don't worry about it. ;)

Dude was banned for the bump? :D

Ooh, free Tibet! How much is shipping?

No, Tibet has always been part of China since the ? dynasty.

dont see why it should be freed now.

These protesters don't seem to understand that The Dalai Lama was not a saint. He had people killed and tortured just like the Chinese government. At least the Chinese are providing some education to these people. Is it perfect? No, but it is better.

The thing I hate about most protesters in the US in general is that the vast majority are ignorant, and are just looking for an excuse to wreck havoc.

No, and to be honest I know very little about this issue, so unfortunately I wouldn't know propaganda from the truth in this case :(

It angers me greatly that these knobs are using the olympics to push their own political agendas, and that I feel extremely sorry for the torch runners who have to put with up angry protestors who mostly don't know shit about Tibet and China...

Why are there so many westerners getting involved anyway?

And global warming is the protester's flavor of the year right?

2284766152_f0c5b12e64.jpg

Now that it's time to bash dem Chinamen again...the topic of Tibet is once again huge. Protestors in San Francisco (c'mon guys, protestors in SanFran? Nobody saw this coming?!) are hanging themselves off bridges and using the sanctity of the Olympics as the sounding board for their global pet peeve of the month. Instead of enjoying the first time the Olympics have ever descended upon one of the world's oldest civilizations, it's become a mass orgy of violent protests designed to make the entire country look like a bunch of hapless, fearmongering fascists.

To be fair, those who claim that Tibet is being raped and pillaged by the dastardly ChiComs usually cite the mass immigration of Han workers into Lhasa, via the new railway that just opened. (Oh, and the Dalai Lama's still in India.) They say that the Olympics will be the perfect platform to raise awareness of the situation and to pressure the government into taking action. Yet I'd rather not see the Olympics turned into petty bickering and wanton attacks on torchbearers like Jin Jing, who defended the torch from angry pussies that nearly knocked her off her wheelchair...

Img214297269.jpg

My hero of the week (she's cute too :wub:).

There's other ways of putting pressure on Hu Jintao and his band of cocknuggets than tackling people like that Scottish guy that slide-tackled that Palestinian runner a few years ago. After all, the pressure from air quality actually led somewhere in the right direction.

Either way, I know I'll be flying my Chinese flag proudly knowing that I can both hate on the corrupt, oppressive Chinese government and enjoy the message of peace and love that the Olympics once carried instead of falling prey to such self-righteous bandwagon-hopping bullshit.

Oh, and I totally can't wait to go in August. Got my tickets ready and everything. China, fuck yeah! :mrgreen:

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=CUptLxm8qnk[/YOUTUBE]

That's quite the old sentiment there, don't worry about it. ;)
I love how in the video, they have the rushing shit brown river as a place of pride, right next to the great wall. Fuck yeah heavy metals.

I love how in the video, they have the rushing shit brown river as a place of pride, right next to the great wall. Fuck yeah heavy metals.

Um....that's the Yangtze River (Huang He), literally meaning "Yellow River". It's been that color for long long time because of the color of the soil in the area.

I think that the Chinese should hold a referendum to see if the Tibetan population want to remain in China or become independent, What? ... What?

Um....that's the Yangtze River (Huang He), literally meaning "Yellow River". It's been that color for long long time because of the color of the soil in the area.

Okay, kinda figured it could've been something like that. Still found it amusing.

There's other ways of putting pressure on Hu Jintao and his band of cocknuggets than tackling people like that Scottish guy that slide-tackled that Palestinian runner a few years ago.

Lunatics always put pressure on people with stupid acts. And that Scottish guy who took out a marathon runner at the Olympics in Athens had another barmy idea a year earlier:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0wlEDYPHhQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

As for the matter of Tibet being something which should bring the Olympic Games to a halt, I say a big NO. Political issues must not interfere with sporting spectacle.

As for the matter of Tibet being something which should bring the Olympic Games to a halt, I say a big NO. Political issues must not interfere with sporting spectacle.

While its a nice sentiment and I somewhat agree, I respect athletes who have strong enough convictions to put their careers in harm's way to stand up for what they believe in. I wouldn't blame an athlete (especially Jewish athletes) for wanting to miss the 1936 Berlin Olympics, I admire the Australian and NZ athletes for boycotting South African tours during apartheid, the US boycotted Moscow because of the USSR's invasion of Afghanistan. My favourite sportsman, Ali, went to prison, was stripped of his title and lost millions for his stand against the war. While I feel its too hard on athletes for Govs to enforce compulsory boycotts, I am for them being given a choice.