Someone talk me out of buying a motorcycle...

If you had even the tiniest shred of experience with the subject matter I would not have a problem with what you say. However, you don't and you continue to prattle on about something you know nothing about. There is no logical reason to get a bike, it's an emotional and visceral experience that can't be quantified. You either get it or you don't. You, sir, don't get it.

I'm not on your case you because you disagree with me, I don't give two shits about that. My problem is that you don't know what you are talking about but feel entitled to instill your ignorant fear in others who just want to enjoy life, not fear it.

You had a family member get hurt while wearing inadequate safety gear, that sucks, but it's not a reason to never get on a bike. You don't have any concept about the technical aspects of riding and think that as a Squid rider you will be welcome on a track. I have news for you, they would never let you on a track, or if they did you might manage a lap before they black-flagged you for putting other riders in danger. Your ignorance is surpassed only by your love of your own voice.

I would have just as much credibility trying to lecture the head of Nuclear Medicine about the scary, spooky dangers of radioactive isotopes.

I ride my bike in one of the most congested cities in the country, through one of the worst bottle-necks in the country. Between the two of us, who do you think is more qualified to talk about riding a motorcycle in traffic?

Last edited:
I know the thread has moved on a bit, but I'm gonna share a story as to why I'm glad I wear a full-face helmet amongst other gear: I was riding down I80 when the 18-wheeler ahead of me (we were both in the left lane, passing another 18-wheeler) ran over a 6x6 piece of wood. Who the fuck knows where the wood came from, but after it was ownd by the truck, pieces of wood were sent flying at me like projectiles. Helmets pwn. I suffered no injuries. End of story :)

I ride my bike in one of the most congested cities in the country, through one of the worst bottle-necks in the country. Between the two of us, who do you think is more qualified to talk about riding a motorcycle in traffic?

I wish I could lane split.

Get a motorbike, if just for the poon. You won't even have to ride it, just stand beside it.

roflllll

To get this thread back on topic...

If your willing to live with the risk, and manage the risk, then I say get the bike.

I am a motorcycle rider under 30 and I have already totaled one bike thanks to a run in with a dog at 40mph's. It sucked, thank god for me walked away from the accident (well after a quick trip to the ER for a checkup). I was wearing a lid (I am a half hat type of man, I know a few here love the full face but its not me), leather, and boots. Dont know if all of that really help save me, and if the speeds where faster and If it was not a dog but a car things might have been worst. But thank god for me it was not. And even before I got my Insurance check, I already had the money put down on a bike.
Riding for me as enter my blood and its something i cant shake. I know its dangerous, I have seen it first hand but life is about risk. If you can live with the risk, and maybe you are fueled by it then get it. For me, I got in to riding after a bit of dark spot in my life, dont know if it help me get thru it or not but I love the decision and I think i will never stop.

Oh one thing, you picked the wrong bike. Get a Harley =D

Since Sunday there have been two motorcycle crashes on the front page of our local paper. My first thought after reading the headlines was the same for both: "I bet they weren't wearing helmets". Sure enough, they weren't. One person died and two are in critical condition as far as I know. It also sounds like each accident was caused by riding too closely to the car in front. Even after hearing of these two accidents I don't hesitate to swing my leg over my bike and ride off.

Bleh, Harleys :thumbsdown:

The ever increasing number of people who own a Harley are dorky middle-aged men who jump on the Harley bandwagon, knowing nothing about motorcycles, but they just want to slap on a full leather get-up once a week so they can feel cool while they rev up their "hog" at stop lights, hoping to get some attention.

And I may be in the minority, but I absolutely hate the sound of a Harley. I much prefer the nice hum of a jap bike.

Last edited:
I'm with you jeffy. It seems the goal of most Harley riders around here is to make their bike as long and annoying as possible. I've noticed that the most enthusiastic riders I come across are the ones on crappy old bikes (like myself really). Plus you could get a new Street Triple and another one as a spare for the same coin you'd spend on a new Harley. I love motorcycles but I could never justify spending $20k or more on one.

I just remembered something else about the whole "motorcycles are scary" thing. It was the first day of on-cycle excercises for the safety course I took. We were all getting geared up and a woman in the group got a call on her cell and her and a friend started crying. They left soon after. Something was up. It turns out a friend of theirs had been killed in a motorcycle accident the night before. It was an eerie feeling riding in the safety course after that but I think it made me concentrate just that much harder. I'm planning on taking the off road riding course sometime, mostly just for the fun of it but I know it will help improve my on-road riding.

Bleh, Harleys :thumbsdown:

The ever increasing number of people who own a Harley are dorky middle-aged men who jump on the Harley bandwagon, knowing nothing about motorcycles, but they just want to slap on a full leather get-up once a week so they can feel cool while they rev up their "hog" at stop lights, hoping to get some attention.

And I may be in the minority, but I absolutely hate the sound of a Harley. I much prefer the nice hum of a jap bike.
Two things on this note.

1) Several of the local cities have passed sound ordinances that ban loud stereo's in cars (IE: Subs). But, several of the city council members in the cities ride Harleys. And they ride by my house. At midnight. I live on a fun road to drive and presumably ride, when there are no cops around. And everyone always punches it right in front of my house. So, I can't have a sub, but they get blaring loud Harley's and ride them past my house at midnight and awake me.

2) Was at the gas station a few weeks ago. It was the first truly sunny weekend this year, so bikes were out in force. Well, at the pump next to me were two men are Harley's. Of course, being middle aged men they had full Harley outfits too. One guy's Harley leather vest still had its price tag on. Pulling away from the pump, he proceeded to stall (or what seemed like a stall, I don't ride, so maybe something else), not once....twice. GFG. His friend stalled once right behind him. *Sigh* "Dude, it's sunny, lets go live out our childhood dreams and buy some Harley's! And lets get some Harley gear so we can try to re-invigorate our wife's sexual desire for us!!"

There have been a series of fatalities around here the past few weeks, in one week we had about half a dozen! All of these fatalities have been sport bike-riding Squids on brand new liter bikes and no gear other than a lid. I've seen these guys out and they are dangerous to be around. They decide they want to ride so they go out and buy a brand new bike with 130+ hp and go screaming into a corner trying to catch an experienced rider or just being asshats, they panic, lock up the front or back end and down they go.

It's easy to shut Harley riders up, just tell them the V-Rod was designed by Porsche. At first they go real quiet, then go crosseyed, then they spontaneously combust.

Plus if you like the Triumph just tell them about the Rocket III. The 2.3 L triple with 140 hp and 147 lb-ft of torque. Oh and it's only $15,000.

Yeah...contrary to popular opinion, not all Harley riders are dicks. I've found that I'm far more likely to see them (well, cruiser riders in general) and guys on dual-sports outside the city limits on longer rides, and I'm sure Blind can attest to this after his last group ride. Of all the people I know on sportbikes, very, very few have spent or will spend more than a couple hours in the saddle at a time. And while there are lots of accidents involving cruisers, consider that they log a hell of a lot more miles than your typical sportbike (which has a lifespan of about 15,000 miles). Further, most motorbike-related casualties are from the 18-25 bracket, the vast majority of which are single-vehicle accidents involving too much speed, or the rider simply pushing it beyond his/her limits. Maturity really does play a big role in motorcycle fatalites.

Yeah...contrary to popular opinion, not all Harley riders are dicks.

This is true. A lot of them are, but as with any group, there are some good ones in there too.

I'm sure there not all dicks, as with any large population group some will inevitably break the mold and amaze you ;)

The guys I pointed to in my post are dicks with or without Harley's, but the bikes just are an extension of who they want to be.

Also true...a lot of people buy Harleys for the 'image'. I suppose a lot of sportbike riders do the same, but with Harleys, its all about the name. Why else would you pay double the cost of a metric cruiser for an inferior machine? And most sportbike riders I know don't go around, even when not riding, wearing Harley-branded jackets, hats, bandannas, etc.

While I think it would be cool to have a motorcycle, I would look like a big dork riding one. Plus I'm a big pussy and I'd rather be encased in a box if involved in an accident. And yes, I've been in a really bad accident where a 1986 Mercedes 560SEL saved my mothafuckin life.

It has actually been my experience that most Harley riders are very nice. Just like any other rider, they are in it to have fun and they buy the bike that suits them best. Harley riders are more likely to wave at me when I'm riding, share the lane with me on the freeway or at a light and less likely to look down their noses at me for riding a metric bike. In fact, most Harley riders I know either have a metric bike at home or owned one in the past.

We know not all Harley riders are dicks, but they're just too fun to make fun of. The people equivalent of Leafspringz.
Get a motorbike, if just for the poon. You won't even have to ride it, just stand beside it.
If you want poontang, don't buy a motorcycle. Buy a V6 Mustang Convertible and start dressing like a homosexual.

Last edited:
It's easy to shut Harley riders up, just tell them the V-Rod was designed by Porsche.

With parts from Japan.. :p

Edit. Here's a few of the Street triple's competition:

Suzuki GSR600
blsvk_rhf_1024.jpg

Honda CB600FA
CB600FA_w475.jpg

Yamaha FZ-6n
fz6n_2007.jpg

Kawazaki Z750
2004-KawasakiZ750b-small.jpg

I have a Suzuki GSR600 standing in my garage.. But i'd still go for the Street triple or the Kawasaki if you want something more relaxing...

Last edited:
Harley riders are more likely to wave at me when I'm riding...

I don't think I've got a single wave from a Harley rider yet this season (only had my bike out a handful of times so far), and obviously another sportbike rider will always wave to me. I think the touring bike riders are the nicest riders on the road. I was at a red light the other day in the left turn lane with a car in front of me when a guy on a BMW accelerated across the intersection and gave me a wave between shifts.