Are there any 56k-ers around?

Are there any 56k-ers around?

• Total voters
Does anyone here have fiber? I know AT&T or Verizon or someone is providing fiber internet to people which is 30 MBPS. Frankly I'm tired of the poor service and high prices that cable companies like Time Warner and Comcast offer. I've had to call comcast like 10 times once and had 5 different technicians come over to fix some ruddy problem. Each technician was more retarded than the last one and barely did anything. Only the last person actually tried to fix it (which he did) and explained what the problem was... and he was from Nigeria or Namibia or something, and not just some 4th grade dropout just trying to earn some dough to pay for his crack addiction.

My roommate (who's supposed to be paying his share of the internet costs) isn't. Whenever I ask him he just says "but it barely works", and I end up paying the $60 a month, which is bs. For all that poor service and poor internet connection its not worth paying $60 a month.

Sorry to go off on a bit of a rant there but I'm really frustrated with the service and I am wondering what the hell I should switch to. If you guys have any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.
Suggestion? Get some other roommate. What the hell? He doesn't pay his dues? Kick 'em out!!!

I am With TalkTalk broadband, they are not bad we get around 3000KB/s.

205838954.png

EDIT: although back in 2007 it was alot faster

214946528.png

I'm pretty sure they packet shape though because the connection drops when watching Hulu.

from the recommended server on speednet.com it recored a 30666 kb/s :blink: ... :blink: ... :jawdrop: ... download speed and 14000kb/s upload, so i remade the test ...

Suggestion? Get some other roommate. What the hell? He doesn't pay his dues? Kick 'em out!!!

He's my friend man, I can't do that. I'll just ask for it later.

Saturday morning, 11:06 test with san francisco yielded this unbelievable result:

It started revving to 10 MBPS and then slowed down to that, which is just crazy.

This seemed a bit off, so i tested it with a server in Kentucky:

$36 a month with unlimited usage. Not bad at all for my usage.

258588704.png

Ah, so this is where I should be posting my speeds and not the New Toys Thread. Who'd have thought it? :p

I cheated since I took this at night, but still:

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shawn/2008/04/12/246652482.png

Love the shitty UL/DL ratios. Trying to stop p2p?

Mine varies a bit.

236189080.png

236189409.png

236187082.png

237839829.png

There was another provider (Optus?) that didn't count it. Its often called download limit. I should have gone with them as it would have effectively doubled my limit.

At that time I was paying $70/mo for 512k I think (now they offer 1.5M down and 64k up 12GB limit), plus it was a 2 year plan (first few months half price) which I wanted to leave early and ended up having to pay to get out of it.

Was Verizon DSL here until recently, the whole state's telephone lines got sold to some company called FairPoint which so far sucks ass. It's like going back 20 years in time when having to deal with them and now all of a sudden our DSL speed is about half as fast as it's supposed to be. I'm so mad at my state for letting this sale go through, they are supposed to be looking out for us the consumer but instead they let so no name company buy their way in to f-stuff up.

My upload sucks, but who's complaining when it's free :D