Bill Bryson hits out at litter culture

NotTheMessiah

Car(s)
Citro?n BX Deauville
I just read this...:
Author hits out at litter culture
Author Bill Bryson has called for an end to litter warning that it is becoming the "default condition" of the English countryside.

The Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE), which is headed by Mr Bryson, is calling for tough government action against litter and fly-tipping.

CPRE also wants a new law that would pay people to recycle plastic bottles.

But local councils have said it is often difficult to prosecute offenders because of loopholes in the law.

The CPRE says 25m tonnes of litter is left each year, a five-fold increase since the 1960s.

Mr Bryson, author of the best-selling Notes from a Small Island, said that although fines for littering in 2007 reached ?1.5m, the 2006-2007 cost of cleaning up the mess left behind by fly-tipping in England ran to ?373m.

Despite the cost and scale of the problem, the CPRE said only 1,700 people were successfully prosecuted and almost half of the more than 43,000 fines went unpaid.

Mr Bryson told BBC News 24: "I think what's happened here is that people are leading different lifestyles.

"People are eating on the run now and increasingly dispensing of the packaging out of the car windows but we are clearing it up as if it was 25 years ago."

Cash for cans
Mr Bryson added that it was also the legal obligation of councils to clear the litter up.

He said: "If a council is leaving its lay-bys chronically unclean they are actually breaking the law, and part of what we will be doing is putting pressure on them to recognise these responsibilities.

"Litter is becoming the default condition of the countryside. It is time that we - all of us - did something about it. The landscape is too lovely to trash," he said.

In response to the calls for action, Waste Minister Joan Ruddock has said she would consider looking for ways to exchange bottle deposits and cash for used cans and bottles.

'Mire of confusion'
She said she was especially interested in consulting vending machine manufacturers about using their machines to collect empties.

The Local Government Association (LGA) said the law on litter was a "mire of confusion"

It said up to 70% of offences were left unprosecuted because of a loophole which makes it extremely difficult to tackle those who dump litter from their cars.

Paul Bettison, chairman of the LGA's environment board, said: "No-one is complacent about the problem and councils will continue to crank up their operations to catch and prosecute those who mindlessly throw their rubbish out on the streets and blight England's landscape."

The government is considering whether to fine drivers if they or their passengers are caught on camera dropping litter.
(source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7350010.stm)

...Which immediately made me think of this:
[YOUTUBE]1mIg6dmzcYU[/YOUTUBE]

:lol::lol::lol:

As much as I find that clip funny, I'm with the CPRE and Bryson on that one.

Throwing rubbish out your car window is rude, unnecessary, lazy and a big problem.

Do I have a plan to combat it? Do I ever. It is this : Tell everyone that the government has hired an assassin. Have a big publicity campaign - TV, radio, magazines, billboards - fronted by a celebrity that tells everyone that if the assassin sees you throwing litter from your car then he is legally allowed to kill you. The thing is, the government will never tell you where the assassin might be.

So this will immediately cut the rate a little bit. However, people will soon get complacent. Then, maybe a month later, get the assassin to genuinely kill someone (or at least stage it). I guarantee you the littering rate will plummet to near-zero. And there you go. Litter problem solved.

I agree with bryson too, bastards who throw trash around deserve whatever punishment we can work up :mad:

Here we go! Trained police snipers put on every intersection in the country, they see you throwing a wrapper on the ground?

*BANG*

As much as I find that clip funny, I'm with the CPRE and Bryson on that one.

Throwing rubbish out your car window is rude, unnecessary, lazy and a big problem.

Do I have a plan to combat it? Do I ever. It is this : Tell everyone that the government has hired an assassin. Have a big publicity campaign - TV, radio, magazines, billboards - fronted by a celebrity that tells everyone that if the assassin sees you throwing litter from your car then he is legally allowed to kill you. The thing is, the government will never tell you where the assassin might be.

So this will immediately cut the rate a little bit. However, people will soon get complacent. Then, maybe a month later, get the assassin to genuinely kill someone (or at least stage it). I guarantee you the littering rate will plummet to near-zero. And there you go. Litter problem solved.

Did you get that idea from here?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/feb/17/smoking.charliebrooker

yes

For the record, Charlie Brooker is awesome, as are his columns, his books, and his TV show, Screenwipe (which is up on youtube).

Yep, even more ranty that Clarkson. I've loved his stuff since he wrote PC game reviews for PC Zone.

Do as I do - if you see someone doing it - chuck it the litter back into their car.
Then leg it as fast as you can - for some reason it seems to annoy them!

But surely Bryson has just confirmed James May's view of him? I mean, come on: "Litter is becoming the default condition of the countryside", "The landscape is too lovely to trash"! Why just the lovely landscape and the countryside? Does litter in the citystreets not count, or is it somehow less of a bad thing? I might be wrong, but is litter in the city streets not a much, much bigger problem?

Don't get me wrong, I completely and wholeheartedly agree that throwing garbage everywhere except in litter bins is utterly unacceptable, but I get the feeling that Bryson is again trying to preserve his vision of England. Which is a vision that Mr May so eloquently describes in the YouTube clip I included.

But surely Bryson has just confirmed James May's view of him? I mean, come on: "Litter is becoming the default condition of the countryside", "The landscape is too lovely to trash"! Why just the lovely landscape and the countryside? Does litter in the citystreets not count, or is it somehow less of a bad thing? I might be wrong, but is litter in the city streets not a much, much bigger problem?

Well his job involves (i'm assuming) the protection of rural england :)

I'm sure he thinks people shouldnt litter in the city, but its not part of his job to protect non-rural-england.

Don't get me wrong, I completely and wholeheartedly agree that throwing garbage everywhere except in litter bins is utterly unacceptable, but I get the feeling that Bryson is again trying to preserve his vision of England. Which is a vision that Mr May so eloquently describes in the YouTube clip I included.

The difference is this :

In a city, odds are the city council own street sweepers which attempt to clean up the streets. I know Glasgow's send theirs out every night, and during the day too. Furthermore, there are on every street available bins.

The countryside tends not to have motorised sweepers to tidy things up every day.

I'm not saying city litter isn't a problem, because littering of all types annoys the hell out of me, it just seems like the logistics of countryside littering is harder to manage and if you stop everyone doing it then it isn't a problem anymore.

There are some seriously muddied waters here. Most of the stats in the article would be attributed to fly-tipping, a totally different problem to casual littering.

I agree with Bill on this - I have been out for a walk in the country side once, quite a while ago and it was a mess, kids go out to the fields and get drunk because the police won't find them there and just leave all there shit there.

I have heard of farmers firing warning shots at them though, which is always funny ;)

There are some seriously muddied waters here. Most of the stats in the article would be attributed to fly-tipping, a totally different problem to casual littering.

His campaign is also about fly tipping.

Yup, his campaign definitely includes fly-tipping by the looks of it.

And as someone who lives in the Country, I completely agree with him. I cycle in to Uni... a couple of days ago, some gracious soul dumped a fridge/freezer on the side of the road near to my house which I now have to cycle around to get past. I've no idea when the council will come and remove it.

People that do it definitely deserve to be punished. It's not just an eyesore, it's dangerous.

Don't get me wrong; I loathe the rubbish in the cities I go to as well and I can see why there's a problem there too... but as has already been said, it's logistically much more difficult to control the littering and fly-tipping that takes place outside the towns and cities...

Edit: Not sure this thread should be in the Top Gear section; I guess OT would be more relevant...?

And as someone who lives in the Country, I completely agree with him. I cycle in to Uni... a couple of days ago, some gracious soul dumped a fridge/freezer on the side of the road near to my house which I now have to cycle around to get past. I've no idea when the council will come and remove it.

Solution: Piece of plywood, combine with fridge, awesome bike ramp.

Be Evil Kenivel everyday on the way to school.

Here we go! Trained police snipers put on every intersection in the country, they see you throwing a wrapper on the ground?

5 second grace.

If you have a brain fade moment, but you pick it up and bin it as soon as you drop it, then no bullet for you.

But if you try to walk 10m away from your litter, you should expect that the guys from the morgue will be carrying you the 11th.

To be honest Bill Bryson has a fair point, England is a dump.

I caught the train from London to Manchester on Tuesday and for virtually the entire 200 miles there is litter strewn along the tracks and embankments.

It's a disgrace, the government constantly goes on about the environment, stealth taxing us on everything in the name of climate change.

But when it comes to fly tipping and littering they just turn a blind eye.

I once had a summer job with Bolton council where I'd go round to peoples houses pickin' up old beds, cookers, fridges etc. but while we were there people would dump rubbish in the streets and expect me to just pick it up.

When I'd complain to my superiors they'd just tell me it wasn't worth the hassle prosecuting, stop making a fuss a pick up all the crap that people dump in the streets because they were to lazy to dispose of it properly.

Hence a couple of weeks later I'd found myself another job elsewhere.

How long should people whoa are responsible have to put up with others who litter and pollute without having to pay the clear costs?

Scowy