Going to photography school - need help from resident pros, please

IceBone

Blue Wheel Hipster
Car(s)
Audi A5 Quattro
I've applied for photography school, which starts in october and will last 2 years. But there's a hitch. Before july 8th, i need to put together a portfolio, which will be examined, followed by an interview. The requirements i (and all other candidates) have received are: 20 authored photographs in 4 different themes.

I would like this thread to be a WIP of the portfolio and i would really appreciate if the resident pros would help me assemble it with either ideas and/or criticism.

I'm thinking of these 4 themes:
  • nature
  • automotive
  • lighting experiment
  • stone
I don't have proper lighting gear for macro and portraits yet, i was thinking of buying a 70-200 lens, but that has taken a back seat to a few flash units, specifically a ring flash. The Sigma EM-140 sells for 300 euro new, that's on the list, so are 2 standard flash units. I'm sure some of you are already familiar with some of my work, but just as a refresher, check out my official gallery and the Zagreb car show set on flickr to see if you would suggest anything from there and/or criticise something so i would know how to fix and also know for the future.

Please, help! I'm really excited about this opportunity and i don't want to mess it up. I have great respect for a lot of you, especially Paddy, Jay, Rap, Alok, Syf0n, etc and would really appreciate any input you can give me.

Thanks. :)

===========================================

Nature:

• rays
  • bonfire
  • waterfall
  • tree at night
  • stars spin cycle
Automotive:

• quad
  • mondeo + verve
  • dad's audi a6 at night
  • running wheel from passenger window
  • highway trails at night
Lighting experient:

• dish washer knob
  • chess set
  • mask
  • watch
  • lamp
Stone:

• Solkan bridge
  • Jo?e ple?nik WW2 memorial
  • Mokrice castle
  • Bohinj church
  • stone statue face close up (to do)

Last edited:
As far as a new lens is concerned, I really think you will be happy about purchasing an 18-200 Nikkor. This way, you do not have to continually swap out lenses and most importantly, miss the moment you want to capture. Yes, it is really expensive. But I think that it is worth it.

As for gear, you once described to me how you did lighting by doing it a very cheap way; but it was creative! Use that mindset to your advantage when considering gear. Work with the resources you have.

At this point in my photographic journey, I do not feel that I am..."privileged" to criticize your art because I feel you and I are at the same level; I do hope that you leap above and beyond me as the years pass.

Heh, thanks, and as i promised, you'll get in on all the literature i'll get. ;) As long as it's english, which i doubt, really...

And don't fear about criticizing, don't be afraid about saying what you don't like. ;)

As far as the lighting is concerned, i can only see that applying to the macrobox as i have already. I know there are DIY ringflashes out there, but none seem really durable, since they're mostly made out of cardboard and tin foil. I think i'll get the ring flash as stated above.

Dude! That's great, i wish you all the best and im sure you'll get accepted.

Does the school offer a program where you major in business but minor in photography? I would recommend that over any straight photography course - any professional will tell you that solid business skills will get your photo business much, much farther than photographic skill. It seems odd, but it's 100% true - I would say 75% of even a mildly successful photo business is marketing, networking, and proper business management. I probably spend more time managing and connecting than I do shooting these days, because it's the best way to create a foundation for a business.

Just something to think about. Good luck!

Continuation:

Now that I've thought about it a bit more, I would suggest you contact the school and get a better understanding of what "theme" means. "Nature" is a very broad theme and they may want something a bit more focused or specific. The more information you have on what they want, the better.

As far as gear goes, most schools that I know of will start out fairly simple - For instance, I would be highly surprised if you do any macro-specific work as that's not a style that's really marketable unless you're really outstanding at it. A battery-powered ringflash is only really useful for macro work, so that would be far, far down my list of potential purchases. It's very possible that much of your shooting will be done indoors; a large-aperture prime or two may be beneficial. However, that is the sort of thing that you will probably not know for sure until you actually begin the curriculum. I would suggest waiting until you know what kind of shooting will be focused on and when - again, it may benefit you to contact the institution and/or the instructors to find out what they will expect. Some institutions even mandate what equipment you need to have, right down to the brand and model of camera - that is becoming increasingly rare, but it's worth checking out. Some may require you to begin on a film camera, even. Again, rare but not unheard of.

So, bottom line? Research, research, and research. Think of it as your first lesson in photographic business skills - get to know your client, understand what they want and what they expect from you.

Last edited:
Will do, and sorry i forgot to mention you in that list, hehe... As far as business goes, this will be a while-you-work education, 3-4 times a week in the afternoon, as i have a full time job already, so adding more studying won't do me any good.

I've registered on the uni's unofficial forum and other students said that it's not really theme-specific, it's just to ensure you have a wide variety of quality photos to present and not all on the same theme or out of the same shoot.

I've checked out the specs on the sigma ring flash and it has the same guide number as the built in one on my cam, which is quite strong (not as strong as a proper flash unit, though). It would be perfect for portraits, which i've always had a fascination with. I love the lighting effect you get with it and i'm not just talking about the little white rings in the eyes and i'm mostly thinking about using it in conjunction with another flash, just to bring out that soft effect.

After i start my curriculum, i'll know more of what is expected of course, right now i just want to assemble that portfolio, we'll talk other purchases later (i'll probably report daily).

Last edited:
Will do, and sorry i forgot to mention you in that list, hehe... As far as business goes, this will be a while-you-work education, 3-4 times a week in the afternoon, as i have a full time job already, so adding more studying won't do me any good.

Yeah, I meant more for when you finish your courses - that's when the business starts! (Though, it is doable if you're willing to put in the time - I'm a fulltime civil engg. student with a part time job and a weekend photo business. Keeps me more than busy, haha!)

I've registered on the uni's unofficial forum and other students said that it's not really theme-specific, it's just to ensure you have a wide variety of quality photos to present and not all on the same theme or out of the same shoot.

Certianly a good idea, though it couldn't hurt to talk to the people that will be looking at your portfolio - even them having your name in the back of their head as "that nice guy on the phone" can be a good thing. ;)

I've checked out the specs on the sigma ring flash and it has the same guide number as the built in one on my cam, which is quite strong (not as strong as a proper flash unit, though). It would be perfect for portraits, which i've always had a fascination with. I love the lighting effect you get with it and i'm not just talking about the little white rings in the eyes and i'm mostly thinking about using it in conjunction with another flash, just to bring out that soft effect.

Ringflashes are cool lights, but I and many others consider them the fisheye lens of lighting tools - a very distinctive look, but you need to know when and how often to use it, and it's easy to overdo it. Ringflashes work best when used in conjunction with other lights to fill in shadows, but the one you're looking at will not have enough light output to work with real studio strobes. The Alien Bees ABR800 is the most economical ringflash for studio work at ~$400, it's a pretty good light and can double as a regular strobe.

Keep us updated!

Last edited:
Now that's what i'm talking about! I checked it out, and it's cheaper than the sigma, looks way cooler and if you say it performs the way it is, it's a triple win. Only problem is, apparently not sold in europe... Need to find an online store that sells overseas.

Hmm, you can only buy AB's factory direct AFAIK, and they do ship overseas, but there's a 10% surcharge on international orders. :(

http://www.alienbees.com/order.html

I also forgot to mention that the Alien Bee (and all studio strobes) are not battery powered and thus need a wall plug - and if you live in a 240V region you need a transformer/adapter to use them. So, yeah, if you can find a ringlight that works with 240V natively then you'd probably be better off. Man, what a pain!

http://www.alienbees.com/nonus.html

I'm not sure if other manufacturers make Euro-specific lights, I don't see why the higher-end makers wouldn't.

Just want to say Ice good luck and I hope all goes well for you. If you can make it as a professional you will have one of the most rewarding jobs in the world - as said above get all the business skills and contacts you can.

just a few thoughts, I will comment on your gallery when I have a chance tomorrow :)

do whatever you are going to do with lenses and lights, etc...but don't let technicalities and gear issues slow you down. use light however you can get it...available, manipulated...strobes if you can afford them. If you are really trying to get into this school, don't worry about your technical prowess or what lenses you have in your bag at the time. i can tell you honestly: they don't care. what they do care about is the quality and clarity of the concepts in your work. formulate a couple of concepts that you can develop into small series of photos. you can use that method to satisfy your listed portfolio requirements. everything else will fall into place and technical details about lighting, lenses, etc. will be solved along the way as you conceptualize how and why you want to shoot a certain photo a certain way. all that equipment stuff, everything else you don't know...you'll learn it all later -- when you're in school for it ;-)

no good photographer was ever held back by his camera, which is after all...only a tool.

Guess i'm better off with a similar ring flash locally (i was looking for a battery operated one for flexibility, but may as well buy the alien bees one if i'm ever trapped inside a studio - heaven forbid...). I suppose i will learn a lot of the stuff i'm asking here in school, yes, i'm just worried they won't like what i produce so i'm taking every precaution... :/

I'll start formulating some ideas, i have a few already. Note to self: Find a waterfall near by...

EDIT:

syf0n: most of the pics in my gallery are pre-nikon, the 4:3 ratio ones. 3:2 are the new ones.

Last edited:
so long as there is a real concept behind your theme you'll be fine. perhaps a study of some aspect of culture you find intriguing by making portraits of its members. just make sure there is honest depth to your work, and not simply setup or some locations. it needs to go beyond aesthetic if you want to win.

I bought a ring flash from Alienbee and the thing's wonderful. But as you said you'll need a transformer/stepdown to be able to use it in countries with 220 volts which I am presently living in.
Hmm, you can only buy AB's factory direct AFAIK, and they do ship overseas, but there's a 10% surcharge on international orders. :(

http://www.alienbees.com/order.html

I also forgot to mention that the Alien Bee (and all studio strobes) are not battery powered and thus need a wall plug - and if you live in a 240V region you need a transformer/adapter to use them. So, yeah, if you can find a ringlight that works with 240V natively then you'd probably be better off. Man, what a pain!

http://www.alienbees.com/nonus.html

I'm not sure if other manufacturers make Euro-specific lights, I don't see why the higher-end makers wouldn't.

I don't have a clue about photographing - but I do really like the studio shots in your gallery, especially the flash drive. Looks like a full-on advert! :p

#1 for nature?

https://pic.armedcats.net/i/ic/icebone/2008/04/19/DSC_9604.jpg

What do you think?

great composition. If you are looking for suggestions, you might try burning the clouds in slightly (for more detail definition) or shifting that saturated yellow/orange to something more subdued and closer to red :)

I like the bonfire, the colours are perfect.