Buying a handgun?

Crazy: He can't buy a gun in Dallas, he's from FL. Federal law says that he can't buy a gun from any state outside his own and the ones that touch it unless the gun is shipped to an FFL in his home state.

It's a stupid law, but it is still currently the law.

Bachman doesn't go to shows outside Texas and Louisiana.

Yeah, there are a lot of bizarre Fed gun laws like that. Unfortunately.

What is your opinion on the Walther P99? I was reading up on 9mm, .40 S&W, hollow points etc....what do you prefer?

The P99 is a good quality gun. However, most of them use a proprietary accessory mounting system and the magazines are uncommon and expensive. It's a good gun, but I'd look elsewhere. The Glock 19 is a better choice.

I am of the camp that says either 9mm or .45, and don't bother with the intermediate calibers. They're only there to make a compromise between the lower felt recoil of the 9mm and the hitting power of the .45 - and with modern pistols the recoil difference isn't much. If you need or want more power than the 9mm, just go straight to the .45 and be done with it.

Jacketed hollowpoints are the standard bullet type for defensive use.

My own personal preference is for a single-action auto (which the Glock mimicks very well). I'm a Browning High Power (in 9mm) shooter - though the new Springfield XD series has caught my eye and I will probably be getting a pair of XD-45s with the short handle and 5" barrel as soon as funds permit.

I was reading that the FBI etc use the 22 or 23 model, with the .40 S&W. Thought i'd ask.

What about the compensator (ported barrel) models of the glock? I was checking prices, and it didn't seem to be that much more expensive. When I do purchase, what other accessories should I get. Besides a holster I guess.

Thanks for your help dude :cool:

I have a significantly different opinion on all this.

I believe that for home and general use you are much better off with a revolver. Preferably a large frame .357 revolver -- for example, the S&W "N" Frame Model 27 if you can find one, and load it with the lightest .38 Special hollow points. That will the most reliable and controllable solution with enough power for home defense.

If one must chose between 9mm/.40/.45 I would again strongly suggest the .40. There is little to be gained by going to a .45 except additional recoil. I tend to dislike the 9x19 because of the higher velocity.

Steve

An automatic has less felt recoil. Plus revolver ammo costs more than 9mm auto, so you're looking at a higher cost to practice. And that whole six rounds idea.... better hope that you 1) don't miss, 2) have less than three assailants (as you can't count on a single round to stop someone, despite what you see in Hollyweird).

I also disagree with your point about .40. It's still a compromise round, it's still not nearly as effective as .45 - as some police have been demonstrating of late, hence the creation of the .45 GAP and the .357 SIG.

Firecat: In case you're wondering, this is one (well, more than one) of those "Ford v. Chevy" debates that nobody ever seems to have a conclusive answer to - at least not one that will stop the other party from arguing.

Anyway, you will need the following gear as a firearm owner, both to care for the firearm and to shoot it at the range, as well as to keep for defense:

Safety glasses
Hearing protection device (could be anti-noise safety earmuffs, could be earplugs)
Holster
Magazine "pouch" or holster for extra magazines (to carry them with you); if you get a revolver, you will need this for your speedloaders
Cleaning kit - yes, Glocks come with a cleaning brush. It sucks. Get a kit.
Cleaning and lubricating chemicals - I'm partial to CLP Break Free and Gun Scrubber, with Hoppes or RemOil lubricant.
Range bag (duffel or something to carry all this stuff in)

Thanks. What about the compensator model of the glock. Necessary?

Unnecessary for 9mm, can be dangerous if used in combat or in a dark/darkened environment.

Compensation is only *really* needed for competition shooting (high end at that) and super-heavy pistol calibers. Or revolvers. Rifles are a different story.

An automatic has less felt recoil. Plus revolver ammo costs more than 9mm auto, so you're looking at a higher cost to practice. And that whole six rounds idea.... better hope that you 1) don't miss, 2) have less than three assailants (as you can't count on a single round to stop someone, despite what you see in Hollyweird).

Thing is, the revolver is heavier, and thus, a Model 27 with .38 Special will have vastly less recoil. The ammo cost is negligible unless you intend to do a LOT of shooting; and to be honest, for that I suggest getting a .22 Ruger to get "good" and a revolver (which you can learn in a few hundred rounds at most) for the home.

My aversion to the .45 is based on significant experience working as an instructor and seeing the difficulties that the .45 presented to students learning to use it effectively. Unless you are committed to practicing extensively, it's a poor choice.

Second of all, if you actually discharge a firearm and your assailants keep on coming, well, you're in deep doodoo. The real success of the firearm is to drive off invaders, not try and gun them all down -- the odds are in a firefight you'll be killed. One person against a team rarely fares well outside the movies.

Steve

I had missed the "concealed carry" portion.

I would suggest that a "range gun" and a 'carry gun" are two different beasts. For a daily carry, consider something aluminum framed and very lightweight. I actually have a Smith 3913 which I consider to be the replacement for the older Aluminum J frame "bodyguard" (my father's gift to me)

Neither are particularly "fun" guns to fire (the J most certainly so with a 16 ounce weight even when loaded), but are lightweight and compact, especially if you are not wearing a jacket provides significant concealment.

They are both, obviously, "Compromise" weapons that one wouldn't carry if you were expecting to go to war.

Steve

what about the Pfeifer-Zeliska .600
600-gun-5.JPG

http://www.vincelewis.net/60magnum.html

:jawdrop:

I believe they are different for each state, but in Texas as far as I know, you have to be 21 and have no crimes above at class C misdemeanor on your record IIRC, Spectre probably know better than I.

In Florida you need to have more or less a clean sheet, have taken some kind of a course (exempt are military and law enforcement, I believe)....and that's pretty much it.

Can you carry in a bank? I've read conflicting things on that. I probably won't carry it all the time. But I do have a few businesses, and I have to do cash pick ups etc...so I do have a pretty good reason.

Anyway, that's why I like the glock. Good for concealed carry + fun to fire. Of course I haven't tested other weapons on the range yet, maybe if you guys can give me a list of what I should try. I'm going to try and take the course next week or the week after (funny thing is, at the same time i'll probably be taking a cake decorating course as well lol). Then i'll send in my app + electronic fingerprints.

*Edit*

How's the Ruger p89?

Last edited:
Okay...What guns are similar to say the Glock 19, P99 etc that have, um, better safety features. Like not firing without a magazine (I read that the S&W M&P has it, didn't find anything on the Sigma series yet) I kinda view the fact that glocks have no real safeties as a disadvantage, although I can see the advantages as well.

I was reading about "accidental discharges" with Glocks. Clearly it's people leaving a round in the chamber. I'm just trying to figure out if it's just a matter of them not checking, or what. I assume you pull out the mag, rack the slide so the bullet comes out...and then you can pull the trigger to field strip the weapon. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Glocks don't have exposed hammers and can't be decocked. I'm sure that plays a part.