Using PC with LCD TV as Monitor?

Shawn

Lexus? Oh shi-
Car(s)
MkVI GTI w/DSG
I bought a Sharp LCD recently and ideally I'd like to build a new HTPC or upgrade my old one to use with it, but for now I just tried hooking up my Windows desktop.

It works fine but I can't get the resolution right... it either looks super streched or the sides are cut off from view. Now my video card, which is a Radeon 9800 Pro, is rather old so I'm not surprised it can't output 1920x1080... but what can I do to get a decent image on the TV?

I tried all the resolutions enabled in the display properties to no avail. Any ideas or any programs that would allow me to force it to output at a specific resolution (like smaller than 1920x1080 but same ratio)?

I don't have cable so if I can't get a decent image from my desktop then my new TV is pretty useless. :(

What input are you using?

The maximum resolution of the 9800 Pro is 2048x1536, so it should be able to output 1920x1080. Have you updated the drivers recently? Also, I second Viper's question. I think you'll need to use the DVI output to reach that resolution, I don't think the VGA one will support it.

What resolution does the new LCD-TV support anyway?

If it cant do 1920x1080, then doesn't matter what video card you have. It just won't work under that resolution.

^ Obviously the TV supports 1080i... why else would I want to output 1920x1080?

I'm currently using VGA, and I don't have DVI inputs on the TV itself. I could buy a DVI-HDMI convertor and connect it using HDMI, but then I couldn't connect the sound to the TV since the HDMI inputs don't have a mono audio input. Only the PC connection (aka VGA) has the single audio input.

It depends.

If ur video card has an audio input port, then you can get HDMI to work on the TV with sound.

I'm currently using VGA, and I don't have DVI inputs on the TV itself. I could buy a DVI-HDMI convertor and connect it using HDMI, but then I couldn't connect the sound to the TV since the HDMI inputs don't have a mono audio input. Only the PC connection (aka VGA) has the single audio input.

No need for a converter.

My 24" LCD monitor only has VGA and HDMI inputs. However, HDMI is just DVI + audio, so I bought a $10 cable off Newegg with HDMI on one end and DVI on the other. Works perfectly, especially since I don't use the shitty 3 watt (no joke) speakers on my monitor (505W FTW).

So, just get a HDMI/DVI cable and then use your computer speakers.

^ I know it's technically not a converter, I meant the cable that you speak of.

But I bought an actual LCD TV (42") so the speakers are actually rather good and I don't wanna ruin the nice setup with having computer speakers hooked up.

My audio card does have an audio input, but how will that help me MadCow? On my TV, the video and audio inputs are grouped together, so you gotta use both together. So if I hook up through VGA the TV forces me to use the mono audio in coupled with the VGA in. If I have my computer hooked up via HDMI then the TV won't accept other audio. At least that's how I interpret the manual.

So is there a cable that gets a DVI and audio inputs and then couples them together as a single HDMI cable I can plug into the TV?

We have a similar setup at work for showing presentations and stuff. Regular HDMI cable works fine (for video atleast)

^ Yeah, but audio is my main problem now.

Also, any idea why VGA isn't working for me at all? I realize VGA can't do HD stuff, but I should at least have the option of a resolution which shows me the whole screen. Regardless of which resolution I try with VGA, parts of it are cut off and in most cases it's squashed or stretched as well.

Hey, if i understand it correctly the problem is that your pc doesn't show the right resolution and that your TV shows everything wrong (because of the wrong resolution).

Go to desktop properties -> the tab where you can adjust resolution -> advanced -> adapter -> show all modi

I think it doesn't show all the resolutions by default because it doesn't recognise that TV...you can choose a resolution there...

Does that work? There are still some other things we can try. I had the same problem hooking my tv up our laptop so let us know.

^ I tried that, but none of those resolutions work either. :cry:

I'm pretty sure if you use the VGA connection (I use miniDVI to RCA/Svideo video adapter on a Macbook) its restriced to a lower resolution. You should try using the aspect ratio/size button on your TV remote to force the display to the resolution you want. I zoom in so it fills more of the screen when watching 16:9 movies.

I have a Sharp Aquos but its a domestic Japanese model, I could show you the button but it might be different.

Audio I cant help you, I use a powerwave unit thing that lets me plug into regular hifi speakers.

My audio card does have an audio input, but how will that help me MadCow?

I was referring to the video card. You can plug the audio in from the soundcard/onboard sound to the video card, then it can be used via the HDMI port.

If your video card doesn't have that audio input function, then you might need to hook up the speakers to the TV like what Viper suggested.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure if you use the VGA connection (I use miniDVI to RCA/Svideo video adapter on a Macbook) its restriced to a lower resolution.

VGA can handle high res. I tried 2048x1536 on my old 19" CRT via VGA. Normally I ran 1600x1200.

If I have my computer hooked up via HDMI then the TV won't accept other audio. At least that's how I interpret the manual.

Hm... Have you tried it though? Get a normal audio cable, plug that straight in the sound card and see if that will work.

Hm... Have you tried it though? Get a normal audio cable, plug that straight in the sound card and see if that will work.

Pretty sure it doesn't, you can only choose one input at a time for the TV.

VGA can handle high res. I tried 2048x1536 on my old 19" CRT via VGA. Normally I ran 1600x1200.

Ah, OK I'm not familiar with display connections really. Before I had this laptop I had an eMac (all in one) :?. I just know I bought this video adapter not realizing it was 640x480 (or whatever it is) because at the time I thought I needed a miniDVI > DVI adapter, a DVI > HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable (which would have cost a small fortune), but actually could have gotten away with an adapter and DVI > HDMI cable (still would have cost me, but bearable for the better display).

Anyway, I'm sticking with my advice of changing the settings at the TV end. Even had a similar issue with DVD player and projector, sometimes had to change the projector to "force aspect ratio" (or something).

Mmm, maybe you should force the adapter to show the resolution you want.

I don't know the name of the tool that I had to use (and that got the job done)...so I will look that up when I get home.

I believe PowerStrip is the tool jensked was referring to. You can use it to set custom resolutions and possibly get past the aspect ratio/overscan problem.