Should I buy: 1975 Porsche 911S

Vector

http://img297.imageshack.**/img297/3612/6abf20mu0.jpg
http://img175.imageshack.**/img175/2666/6c6d20av5.jpg
http://img135.imageshack.**/img135/2493/6d8320rf6.jpg
http://img404.imageshack.**/img404/720/6e5a20xh4.jpg

1975 PORSCHE 911S, 2.7L, 73000 miles, black ext, over $6,000 in receipts, brand new tires, $13500 obo.

This has me almost thinking I can afford to buy a 911. An actual, official, bonafide Porsche 911. Yeah, it's old, yeah, it will probably need a lot of work and be expensive to maintain, but of course the rosy vision in my head says it will all be worth it. And she looks so pretty, doesn't she?

But, I know I can't really trust that vision. So I'm asking you... do you guys think it's worth it? Here's the catch though, I heard that 1975 was the worst year for the 911. Ever.

:cry: Is it all too good to be true?

I think it looks pretty good. I'd take it to a trusted mechanic and go ask on a Porsche forum.

I think it looks pretty good. I'd take it to a trusted mechanic and go ask on a Porsche forum.
D'oh, yeah, why didn't I think of using a Porsche forum? Too obvious I guess.

Oh well, still like to see what you guys have to say.

^

Porsche forum is where you need to ask

personally... I would avoid any cars older than 15 years

I had a 79 911SC. I liked it for the few months I had it (I bought it specifically to recondition and sell it on). If you want it as a daily, you'll need to do some upgrades to the ignition and fuel injection systems. You'll also need a certain level of mechanical skill as Porsche mechanics' labor rates are somewhere between "anal rape" and "anal rape with added pumice".

$13,500 seems high, but yeah, it would be a kick ass car. Even if it's a total lemon, at least you could have some fun with it and tell the grand kids about your 911S.

mileage is relatively low, the engine should be fine, but check the body and the chassis for excessive wear.

Get some of the Porsche dudes to check it out, because 13K seems not too bad. Maybe it's been crashed and repaired?

Looks AWESOME though

Go for it!

Just take a little more care for it than for a modern car. It's beautiful!

Don't buy it without having it checked over by a mechanic, but I envy you!

Buy it. Now

Very Hank Moody. I would expect to spend the cost of the car every couple of years keeping it running well though. I suppose it all depends on your financial situation, if you're left with plenty of disposable income every month, then you have the safety cushion to buy it and take the time to sell it on if it does prove to be too much hassle. Don't buy it if unexpected bills would financially ruin you.

Well, I don't exactly make the most money every year, I would have to take out a loan just to buy it, and I'm not sure I could afford to be spending thousands of dollars on repairs every year.

Then again, it won't be my daily driver, so if it had to sit around waiting for a repair, then at least that's an option.

I contacted the seller through email to see if it's even still available and to ask what kind of work has been done. We'll see!

I'm not sure if i would take out a loan for a car this old, the parts for it (they design their cars specifically so you have to, at least the new ones.) will be ridiculous.

Try to talk him down to something you can afford to pay outright, or at least pay for 75% of it up front, otherwise you cant afford it.

Well, I don't exactly make the most money every year, I would have to take out a loan just to buy it, and I'm not sure I could afford to be spending thousands of dollars on repairs every year.

Then again, it won't be my daily driver, so if it had to sit around waiting for a repair, then at least that's an option.

I contacted the seller through email to see if it's even still available and to ask what kind of work has been done. We'll see!

Its not worth it then. No need to take out a loan on a car that old at that price. And if your engine goes, you could be looking at a loan of 13.5k your still paying back while a bill of 5k for an engine or more.
It would be a great 2nd car, but, as a daily drivers its just asking for trouble. I thought about getting something like that instead of the GTI (i thought about a lot of other cars =P).

D'oh, yeah, why didn't I think of using a Porsche forum? Too obvious I guess.

Oh well, still like to see what you guys have to say.

I love it, a 911 is a 911 regardless. As long as the mechanic and Porsche guys say its a gem then I'd say go for it. :D Black is definately the color to go for in those older ones. That and silver/grey.

^

Porsche forum is where you need to ask

personally... I would avoid any cars older than 15 years

My 18 year old Camaro with 243,5xx original miles laughs at you. Older cars are more fun than newer cars as a whole I've come to realize.

My 18 year old Camaro with 243,5xx original miles laughs at you. Older cars are more fun than newer cars as a whole I've come to realize.

Sorry, i meant to say I would avoid taking a loan for such an old car.