My 82 Impala and New 94 Z28!

Imapal gets a new exhaust! not sidepipes tho :[

Imapal gets a new exhaust! not sidepipes tho :[

So after many painful months of practically open headers. i decided that i finally had enough of it for my daily cruiser. i ordered whatever i needed from summit on tuesday and on saturday, when my boss let me use the shop. i went to town!

ramps were a must and allowed me to not break my neck trying to get under her with just a jack.
IMG_7157.jpg

not much of an exhaust huh? :lol:
IMG_7158.jpg

because its a 4.4 with a cam for low end torque and fuel efficiency i wanted a Y-pipe. it isnt tuned but maybe one day when i have more time ill make a new one. i started with my old pipes.
IMG_7164.jpg

all cut by hand on a band saw
IMG_7169.jpg

not a bad fit huh ?
IMG_7170.jpg

after afew measurements, practice fits and the cutting into the straight pipe. i tig welded it all together to create my Y pipe
IMG_7186.jpg

it fit like a glove
IMG_7189.jpg

i dont feel like having any problems from anyone as of now so i kept one of my cats.
IMG_7195.jpg

IMG_7188.jpg

im a novice tig welder so there not going to win any beauty awards but its strong as hell!
IMG_7166.jpg

i used a 2.5 hedman baffled muffler because it was cheap and well made. plus allowed me to put it in a tight space.
IMG_7194.jpg

fully put together.
IMG_7200.jpg

IMG_7199.jpg

Some videos of her running. its so quiet when compared to before! its incredible. i started it up and didnt know it was running :lol: but it still has the most important characteristic of all.. it still sounds like a V8 :cool: when i get on it it sounds Perfect. its everything i was hoping for. now i can make my camaro that much louder! >:D

(my electric fans over power it abit but i shut them off)

Mmmmm, I bet that Impala is going to be one nice ride when you're done. I'd love to do a Monte Carlo myself.

Lookin" (or sounding rather) good!

Almost as good as mine! (nana!)

The white reminds me of the California Cop Camaro's back in the 90's. (In a good way). So which one gets better MPG? :eek:

The white reminds me of the California Cop Camaro's back in the 90's. (In a good way). So which one gets better MPG? :eek:

the best i got from the impala was awhile ago all highway with the lock up on the torque converter with stock exhaust, and carb. it was 23 mpg. with the camaro i bestest 26 so far and am sure i can get alittle better. around town tho the camaro still has it beat. ive been getting around 17 mpg combined over a weeks worth of driving (200-300 miles) but the impala isnt that bad. combimed around 13 and would be better if i had lock up on the torque converter now (saves 600 rpm at cruise)

theres one at new rochelle. its blue and white. ive seen the car on the roa di believe 3 times. everytime i drive passed the station its always just there. sitting :( kinda sad really

Is your impala a 3speed? I frinkin' hate 3 speeds, they get such crap fuel mileage. I need overdrive... or even better, a 6 speed manual.

Is your impala a 3speed? I frinkin' hate 3 speeds, they get such crap fuel mileage. I need overdrive... or even better, a 6 speed manual.

the 82 has the 700R4. first year for it and i love that tranny. with the lock up on the torque converter around 60 mph itll be running around 1300 rpm. i havent had it on in awhile due to the fact i no longer have a computer in the car :D and my camaros a 6 speed. 80 mph = 2k rpm. not bad id have to say :cool: witht my new exhaust on my impala i shoudl be getting alittle better fuel efficiency to now that my lower RPM's are So much smoother. it feels more ballsy to which i love! i will miss the sound of beastly open headers tho :(

Cool, I've been having a few problems with my Elco, they are being fixed though. I love the Iroc rims, I was thinking of getting those, but then came across some old american racing mags and went for those.

Nice work! have you done this type of stuff before? I personally still strugge to construct exhausts, although i've built about 2-3 systems (2 full systems, 2 sort of half assed attempts at exhaust :p) You welds are still better then mine (terrible MIG welding machine used by me, a novice Mig welder.) I have to imagine that those catted dumped pipes didn't rumble so much as drone like hell? atleast thats my experience.

Anyways, do you have any tips on making measurements? and did how do you hold the exhaust up to test fit and then weld it?

I can't listen to the clips as this computer blows, but i bet it sounds nice, if a little raspy (due to long section of unweighted tailpipe) Also if you did use a 2.5 inch single pipe on a V8 then i commend you, i see too many people trying to put duel 2.5 and 3.0 pipes on V8s and it always sounds lackluster, wheras a single 2.5 is completely worthwhile.

Cool, I've been having a few problems with my Elco, they are being fixed though. I love the Iroc rims, I was thinking of getting those, but then came across some old american racing mags and went for those.

yeah i really like how they look and found them for a really good price ($120 for all 4) gotta love ebay. they came in a week and were in great shape. i cleaned them up, painted where the bolts go and mounted them up. which american racing mags do you have? torques ? and what problems are you having ?

Nice work! have you done this type of stuff before? I personally still strugge to construct exhausts, although i've built about 2-3 systems (2 full systems, 2 sort of half assed attempts at exhaust :p) You welds are still better then mine (terrible MIG welding machine used by me, a novice Mig welder.) I have to imagine that those catted dumped pipes didn't rumble so much as drone like hell? atleast thats my experience.

Anyways, do you have any tips on making measurements? and did how do you hold the exhaust up to test fit and then weld it?

I can't listen to the clips as this computer blows, but i bet it sounds nice, if a little raspy (due to long section of unweighted tailpipe) Also if you did use a 2.5 inch single pipe on a V8 then i commend you, i see too many people trying to put duel 2.5 and 3.0 pipes on V8s and it always sounds lackluster, wheras a single 2.5 is completely worthwhile.

Thanks for the interest in my exhaust lol. my old set up was abit of both. it rumbled like a son of a bitch at idle and moderate throttle. but once you got on the highway it was the most droning sounding thing ive ever heard. i was going to do side pipes but didnt feel it would balance the engine the way i wanted it to be. so i went with a 2.5" single because a 3" single on my camaro is considered to be a performance exhaust so i felt 2.5" was big enough.

when it came to measuring it i used a regular tape measure, my eyes, and my brain to remember the lengths. it took me maybe an hour to fully complete the disassembly of my old set up and the fabrication of my Y pipe. all i did was cut the "J" for the drivers side and bolted it up, then i took a peice of straight pipe for my passenger side and bolted that up. then i took the other "J" pipe i had for the connection and cut the turned part so it was able to get fitted to the straight pipe. then i just cut it to length. took it all off in pieces and TIG welded it on our bench. when i went to bolt it up i had to open it abit for it to connect perfectly to my ball socket connectors on my headers. but it was barely an 1/8 of an inch so i just bent it by hand. the best suggestion i can give to you is to just plan ahead. have everything figured out before you jump into anything. look at your scenario and figure out what it is you have to do before doing anything. i thought about what i wanted to do for quite some time. then bought all the parts i knew i was going to need and then went to work.

as for the final product it sounds awesome! just how i wanted it to be. quiet at idle and cruising and then give that V8 bass note when i got on it. its also alot smoother throughout the entire RPM range. i dont feel that i lost much power which is good. but on the highway it feels good which is all i cared about anyway

which american racing mags do you have? torques ? and what problems are you having ?

I've got ones like these mags.

A69m.jpg

Basically, all the problems with my car were produced becaused an amature mechanic decided it would be a good idea to do work on the car without consulting a professional.

For instance, yesterday I spent all day (probably about 6-8hours including travel time between shops and garages) changing over a main pulley, a job that woiuld normally take less than an hour... tops. Basically the guy had put the pulley on with an impact gun, thus stripping the main bolt and the hole for the bolt, he also decided to use three different screws for the horizontal stabilizing bolts, therefore unbalancing the pully and resulting in it literally shattering into peices. It was brutal. I had to re-tap the cam-shaft and fix all the crappy drilling/tapping done before me. I still wasn't able to torque the main bolt to the recomended 70lbs. I only got it to 55 in fear of stripping it again. It was a nightmare.

Most of the problems are minor, but it's because there was someone in there before me who didn't know what he was doing that makes everything dificult.

I've got ones like these mags.

A69m.jpg

Basically, all the problems with my car were produced becaused an amature mechanic decided it would be a good idea to do work on the car without consulting a professional.

For instance, yesterday I spent all day (probably about 6-8hours including travel time between shops and garages) changing over a main pulley, a job that woiuld normally take less than an hour... tops. Basically the guy had put the pulley on with an impact gun, thus stripping the main bolt and the hole for the bolt, he also decided to use three different screws for the horizontal stabilizing bolts, therefore unbalancing the pully and resulting in it literally shattering into peices. It was brutal. I had to re-tap the cam-shaft and fix all the crappy drilling/tapping done before me. I still wasn't able to torque the main bolt to the recomended 70lbs. I only got it to 55 in fear of stripping it again. It was a nightmare.

Most of the problems are minor, but it's because there was someone in there before me who didn't know what he was doing that makes everything dificult.

i love those mags! my dad has those on his 69 camaro. but that car hasnt seen the light of day in many many years :cry: but that fucking sucks with the noob mechanic. the machine shop i work at sees alot of custom one time peices needed for particular jobs and this guy that were friends withs son had a similar problem with the 327 crank in his nova. so i made him a cup with a hole in the end that perfectly fit around the nose of the crank shaft so he could tap it perfectly straight. but as far as only getting it to 55lbs it should be perfect. id put alittle thread lock on there for insurance purposed but not to much. it should ever loosen up or if anything use a lock washer. i got the bolt in my crank shaft to around 60 and left it at that because i know she isnt going to come loose. aslong as its sitting in there pretty and its not off balance like how it was before itll be fine. but i do feel your pain man. it sucks when someone does work on my cars because idk if they know what there doing. thats why no matter what the problem is ill try tackling it first. except for transmissions :lol: i dont fuck with those.... yet :D

it isnt about my impala this video but of my camaro. my clutch is as near as makes no difference gone. ( i have a new one in the back waiting for hopefully the weekend) and my tires are bald to shit so i decided to have some fun today nothing to bad just alittle muscle flex ;)

Last edited: