Parking an MT on any incline: how do you do it?

Parking an MT on any incline: how do you do it?

• Total voters
Actually, only using the gears won't hold you on a steep hill. The only thing stopping you from rolling is friction in the engine (it turning) and honestly, it's not a huge amount to overcome for a heavy car. Best to use both incase either "fails".

I don't agree entirely...your theory is correct (about the friction), but it takes more than the weight of a car to turn over the engine. I don't see this happening unless you have a vehicle that weighs more than 3 tons.

it depends on where im parking and how bad of an incline it is. if its not so bad ill leave it with just the handbrake. if its bad ill put on the handbrake first Then put it in gear. usually reverse. and sometimes if i can ill turn my wheel so that if my car did start to roll the tire will hit into the curb as an extra safety precaution. but you never wanna leave the wait of the car on Only the transmission. thats how you mess shit up

Well, I may be Christian but I know that God gave me a big brain and freewill.

:)

Where's the option "brick on the brake pedal"?
I use handbrake only when parking.

btw.
Would the transmission break if someone bumps into your car and you have the opposite direction gear in?

If someone crashes into your car at speed when your transmission is engaged, it can seriously damage both your gearbox and your engine. The forces in such a crash are sufficiently high to warp stuff in your gearbox, and the sudden acceleration of your pistons can leave them crooked, seriously damaging your cylinders. Of course, this won't happen in a 10 kph fender bender, but when some lunatic sideswipes your car at 80 kph, it's pretty likely to destroy your engine and tranny aswell.

If someone crashes into your car at speed when your transmission is engaged, it can seriously damage both your gearbox and your engine. The forces in such a crash are sufficiently high to warp stuff in your gearbox, and the sudden acceleration of your pistons can leave them crooked, seriously damaging your cylinders. Of course, this won't happen in a 10 kph fender bender, but when some lunatic sideswipes your car at 80 kph, it's pretty likely to destroy your engine and tranny aswell.

yeah but if someone hits your car at 80kph the rest of the car is probably pretty fucked anyway :p

I'd say tires will lose traction before all of that happens. At 80 km/h you are unlikely to care what happened to your gearbox anyway, car is a writeoff already.

madcow809 said:
doesn't matter if you have it in first gear or revese gear, its personal preference. Some of my mates use reverse gear, I personally leave it in first gear.

Reverse is almost always geared lower than 1st, provides that extra little bit more effort for the engine to be spun.

Hasn't been a problem here, and I've seen a large number of parked cars get hit at speeds above 80kph.

If the energy in the impact is enough to do the kind of damage you say, I'd think the casing on the gear box would likely fail regardless, and the driveshaft or motor mounts are likely to fail before the rest of the transmission.

Well, I may be Christian but I know that God gave me a big brain and freewill.

:)

Well...at least your honest :lol:

I use 2 bricks on the rear tires, works wonders :ph34r:

yeah but if someone hits your car at 80kph the rest of the car is probably pretty fucked anyway :p

Some old geezer rammed my VR6 syncro while it was parked downhill with the handbrake and reverse gear engaged... the car was obviously scrapped but i sold the engine and tranny to a friend... it still works great..

Does using the gear box to bear the load of the parked car lead to eventual gear failure?

While anything is possible, especially over time, I seriously doubt you'll need to worry about that.

It's the same thing with people who say engine braking will damage your engine over time. Your engine, and gears, were designed to withstand stress much much higher then being parked on a hill, or mild deceleration.

Reverse is almost always geared lower than 1st, provides that extra little bit more effort for the engine to be spun.

unless i am being completely retarded given that i have had about 7 gin and tonics but wouldn't a taller gear be better at holding your car than a shorter gear?

unless i am being completely retarded given that i have had about 7 gin and tonics but wouldn't a taller gear be better at holding your car than a shorter gear?

Nope. Go hop on a 10 speed bike and you'll figure it out real fast. You always start with the smallest gear on the front and largest out back and as you go faster you go to the big one up front and the small one out back.

Where the shorter gear is easier to get the engine to pull the car, when trying to push the car to drive the engine, that gear now seems tall.