Should I get an iphone now or wait for the new one?

Even if I were to buy the currebt one, and I am waitng for the 3g, there will be a price drop on the current one very soon.

That's because it's overpriced at it's current specification. From that sort of money, I expect either 3G or GPS (or both).

Name one $400 phone that has everything the iPhone has plus either GPS or 3G. The iPhone isn't overpriced at all considering other phones that people perceive as iPhone's competition (N95 8GB, SE Xperia) easily cost more than double.

You must realize that the iPhone is only $400 with contract. Plus, to use it anywhere else besides the states, it needs to be unlocked which costs a bit more. That brings it to about the same price as an N95, and the rest of the flagship phones. Bear in mind that your still only getting a 2.0 MP camera with no zoom and no 3G.

I don't know where you get your information from, but unlocking the iPhone does not bring its price tag to the same level as the N95! All it takes to unlock an iPhone is literally just three mouse clicks and 20 seconds of your time with ZiPhone.

As for the iPhone being cheap only because it's subsidized by a contract, you only need to look at eBay. You'll quickly learn that a new phone without contract costs in the same neighborhood as retail. And in under no circumstance does it costs the same as an N95.

Don't you need a turbo sim card thing if your planning to use it in Canada or something? If not, then consider it my mistake. I haven't been following iPhone news that much.

why melbourne havnt release iphone?

perth already release it... well on the chinese shops... haha...
where i used 2 work at....

we got a japanese technician who used 2 work wit apple and take d iphone and fully modify it so dat it wont lag or broken in some way.... unless u smash it...

he did change d camera to 3.2 carl zeiss from nokia n73 so now it looks kool but cant focus and den he did tried 2 put on 3G put it cost him alot of time...

come perth and buy iphone from a chinese shop... it works betta... dun buy directly from china... hehe

why melbourne havnt release iphone?

perth already release it... well on the chinese shops... haha...
where i used 2 work at....

we got a japanese technician who used 2 work wit apple and take d iphone and fully modify it so dat it wont lag or broken in some way.... unless u smash it...

he did change d camera to 3.2 carl zeiss from nokia n73 so now it looks kool but cant focus and den he did tried 2 put on 3G put it cost him alot of time...

come perth and buy iphone from a chinese shop... it works betta... dun buy directly from china... hehe

English, much?

You could get it in Melbourne as well, just go to a dodgy Chinese shop.

It hasn't been officially released in Australia most likely because it doesn't support 3G... No doubt when a 3G model is released Telstra will jump on in

^ that guy sounds suspiciously like a Singaporean...

A friendly neighborhood AT&T employee forwarded us a memo for AT&T retail store employees that could provide a rather telling clue about the next-gen iPhone's release date this summer. A similar memo went out last year around this time requesting that employees not take any vacations between June 15 and July 15, and this year those dates are June 15 and July 12 -- which seems suspiciously early, but that's what the man says. The memo cites "an exciting Summer Promotional Launch," which we're guessing doesn't refer to some new Motorola flip phone. Also telling is the fact that employees might be able to take some vacations later within that window when things die down a bit, which seems to imply that Apple could be aiming for a launch date right around the iPhone's one year anniversary of June 29th. How romantic.

From here

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/06/leaked-atandt-memo-points-to-3g-iphone-release-in-late-june/

Well, besides the Sony Xperia X1, looks like the iPhone has another competitor, introducing...the HTC Touch Diamond...

Source: Phonemag
The HTC May 6th event kicked off just a few minutes ago, and it is apparent the images we showed you of the HTC Touch Diamond are indeed correct. This device will focus on mobile internet usability, and this is going to be HTC?s focus for 2008, according to HTC CEO Peter Chow. The promotional video enforces the usability, with a motto of ?one hand, one touch?.

The device has had some serious design time. Mr. Chow says that even since the launch of the original HTC Touch, this device has been in the works. The device not only has goodies like VGA screen, and Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional, but also a new touch navigation interface. It is TouchFLO in 3D! It features HSUPA 7.2mbps, and is very thin.

HTC CIO, Horace Luke, says the Touch Diamond ended up ?exactly how they envisioned it?. As for looks, this quote by Mr. Luke sums it up ?Industrial design, that?s worthy of modern arts museum?. HTC has been hard at work on the new user interface as well, and they did a stunning job.

Right down to the contact list, the interface conveys elegance. According to Vincent; ?everything seems to dance around the display?. As rumored, the device does feature an accelerometer. So when viewing pictures and such, the image rotates when the device does. As for music, browsing through your collection will be a snap. The look is similar to Cover Flow on the iPhone. The device has YouTube functionality, so no one will be left in the dark when bored.

Web browsing on this device, lives up to the claim HTC is making about internet usability. It truly delivers desktop quality browsing, after years of waiting. The content is resized for the screen, until you use the navigation pad to zoom in and out that is. Touching the screen will resize the page to an overview mode once again. The accelerometer works while web browsing as well, to provide the full experience. The browser is a custom version of Opera.

The device will be available in Europe and Asia starting in June. The rest of us will have to wait till later in the year to get in on the action. The price point for the device was not set. Check back for updates. When we know, you will know.

Specs:
# Connectivity: WCDMA / HSPA: 900/2100MHz. HSDPA 7.2 Mbps and HSUPA
# Operating system: Windows Mobile? 6.1 Professional
# Display: 2.8-inch VGA touch screen. Max Res: 480 x 640
# Camera: 3.2MP, with video calling
# Internal memory: 4 GB Internal Storage, 256 MB flash, 192 MB RAM,
# Bluetooth: 2.0 with EDR
# Wireless: WiFi 802.11b/g
# GPS: GPS/AGPS
# Interface: HTC ExtUSB? (mini-USB and audio jack in one; USB 2.0 High-Speed)
# Battery: 900 mAh
# Talk time: GSM: up to 4 hours
# Standby time: GSM: up to 300 hours/100 hours with push email
# Chipset: Qualcomm MSM? 7201A? 528MHz
# Size: 102 x 51 x 11.33mm
# Weight: 110 g

You can read more about it and check the pictures out in the above links.

I'm really tempted by this too... there's so many choices...

Thanks for posting this.

i can't + rep you as I need to rep other people first. Sorry :-(

The Iphone will be out very soon, so I think i will wait to see what it has to offer.

Any new updates?

Yes! June 9 (first day of WWDC) is the day we'll see the new iPhone (or not). If rumors are to be believed, the new iPhone will feature:

• The same dimensions as the current iPhone, albeit only slightly thicker.
  • 3G 'natch
  • GPS
  • An all black exterior
  • Still no copy/paste or MMS. The 2.0 software only brings enterprise features, the App Store, and tons of new security upgrades (on Apple's side at least).

I can't wait for the new one! I'll most likely get it if the part about it having GPS turns out to be true.

You must realize that the iPhone is only $400 with contract. Plus, to use it anywhere else besides the states, it needs to be unlocked which costs a bit more. That brings it to about the same price as an N95, and the rest of the flagship phones. Bear in mind that your still only getting a 2.0 MP camera with no zoom and no 3G.

It costs about 5 minutes and 7mb of download.

The iphone costs 400 with or without a contract, to use all of the features with ease you need the contract.

http://gizmodo.com/391960/iphone-3g-launch-date-confirmed

We all suspected it, but now it is confirmed: someone very, very close to the 3G iPhone launch has told me that Apple will announce their new model at the WWDC Keynote on June 9th. The second-generation iPhone will be available worldwide right after the launch, and not at year's end, as previously thought. The new model will also herald new sales policies in some countries.

Wow that is quite soon. I was thinking it would come at the end of June.

Thanks for the update, + rep.

Wait either way, atleast there will be a price cut on the old ones if you do....

Only one more week to go until the new Iphone 3G.

Can't wait!