Production GT-R SMASHES 'ring record.

Godd to hear, we all love competition. Still it was a factory car, no mention of the tires and everything else. Said it before in a similar thread, will do again: Until Sport Auto does their Supertest with it, I'll wait with judgement.

According to Autoblog, tyres were standard JDM market OEM items.

*clapclapclap* well la-dee-frickin-dah

I'm sorry, but I just can't STAND this car. I don't know if it's because of it's rabid ricer-boy fanbase (the majority that is; I can see how a good, honest car nut on these forums can like it), or how pretentious it comes off as. I mean, I know now it can live up to the hype, but I have one fundamental problem with it: it was programmed, not engineered.

It just looks so huge and heavy and goopy, like a big blumbering, souped-up 350Z (which it basically is). It seems like it shouldn't, by any honest, mechanical means, be able to go as fast as it does without some serious stripping of extraneous bits and chassis revamping. This is why I loved the R34; because it didn't really need all that technology to be a great car, but it used the electronic gizmos where it counted to provide a better drive.

This R35, however, seems to use the electronics as an excuse to completely ignore any other technical and physical aspects of the car. From what I can tell, by any other measure it should be a terrible car, but a bit of quick toodling behind a computer screen, and all of a sudden it's a golden god.

Yet it's become no better than a $60.00 copy of Gran Turismo V. Don't get me wrong, I love computer technology and what it can do for the car, but this is a step in the wrong direction. This seems like a step towards nanny-cars and vehicles that eliminate the driver completely. You should be able to choose whether or not you want your traction-do-anything-control on or off (and the car should still be thumping good drive when it is off; Ferrari's traction control system is a great example of this). Electronic controls like this should be a contributing factor to a car's handling, not the entire basis for it's excellence.

You can turn all the GTR's aids off via the controls on the dash. What are the other computer things you're talking about? The ATESSA system? Pretty simple really. Front wheels lose traction, computers send up to 50% of torque to the front wheels.

You sound bitter like you have something against the car or the maker of the car. Accept it for what it is - a fantastic car and a magnificent achievement of Japanese engineering. I think the R35 GTR is now the benchmark for other supercars, which is a strange thing.

AutoBild Sportscars review: 911 Turbo vs. GT-R

Respect for the elderly - a virtue deeply rooted in asian culture. Not only Porsche Turbo-fans and -drivers show respect when the matter is the 34 year old icon. Even the objurgated youth has a feeling for traditions. The playstation generation eagerly renders homage to their new superhero - the all-wheel-driven Nissan GT-R, packed with high tech like the automated double-clutch-gearbox and the newly developed 3.8l V6 bi-turbo. The quad-doored ancestor Skyline 2000 GT-R saw the light of the day in 1969 - fire years prior to his german adversary. Only the shape remained well known though. Beneath the cultic metal you'll find two turbochargers with variable turbine geometry, all-wheel-drive with an electromagneticly controlled multiple disc clutch as well as adpataple dampers. Facing that, the 911 won't let itself be shifted off to retirement though. Moreover, the Nissan never was cagey about having the 911 turbo as the benchmark during development. A feud between legends - and generations - blazes up.

Young and old are unified by one criteria: 480 six-cylinder-bi-turbo-horsepower have to be under the bonnet. Operated by the starter button, six pistons take up their work
gently mumbling, beginning their journey over the plasma-lined cylinder liner. Second gear comes up briefly rumbling, after that the DSG changes gears unnoticeably. Something you can not say about the Nissans suspension for the time being. On the curvy country road, the 20-inch-wheels teeter harshly in every small hole, the GT-R bounces nervously. Thus set the suspension to soft. While the Bridgestones whistle like a streamlet and the GT-R purrs along in sixth, the suspension now swallows more bumps. It's paradoxial, but the soft mode is best for going quickly, at least on rougher roads.
Open the taps! Record-breakingly quick and still hardly noticeable, second gear is engaged. Beneath the mighty wheeze of the turbo, mixed with the whistling wastegate and the V6 snarling, the japanese storms ahead. Only these sounds give away the forced induction, turbo lags or even interfering stutters are completely absent. 3.6 seconds are supposed to be enough to reach 62 mph - believable. Chassis movements are very well controlled by the trustworthy suspension. The GT-R also follows orders from the nicely weighted and precise steering in an instant. With rock-solid sturdiness despite the 1750 kilograms, the Nissan eats the country road tarmac, not being bothered by flange grooves or driving lapses. The operation of the two aluminium paddles, peeking from behind the steering wheel like fairy ears, is the only thing you need to be capable of the in GT-R.

Due to the earlier availability, we drive a right-hander. On the left-handers, the weight distrubution is supposed to be even better. The reason: the driver sitting on the left counters the weight of the front differential and the drive shaft, both mounted on the right.

Behind the leather- and carbon-lined cockpit of the german icon, the driver has to work quite a bit harder. Indeed, the Turbo turns in even more sharply and brakes harder with the optional ceramic brakes. But the Porsche rolls, dips and judders more when going through turns - a toll to the comfortable setup. Only when driving near the limit, the 911 feels at ease and confident, and doesn't feel too soft and underdamped. With the stability management turned off, you have to be careful though. Too much - or not enough - throttle in a bend, and the rear kicks out. Along the puristic behaviour, a firm six-speed manual challenges the driver much more than in the Nissan.

The reward is questionable though. As much fun as the battle with physics and the acting with clutch and stick may be - it costs time, and the GT-R stays in front. Of course, Porsche offers a five-step tiptronic. It does change at full boost and shaves off two tenths of the 911's 0-62-time, but still, it doesn't operate as agile and discrete as the one in the GT-R. Give us the DSG, Zuffenhausen!
The Japanese really seem to have made a pact with the devil of driving dynamics: despite the rear wheels missing two centimetres in width and 90 kilograms more, the Nissan bites the tarmac with enormous grip and better traction. Into the bargain, it even offers something like character. There's no doubt that the Porsche Turbo still has more charm. Still, the GT-R has personality. A car that emits a well-audible clatter when the second cardan shaft shifts power from the back to the front enters the hearts of car enthusiasts in an instant.

However, the biggerst surprise by the Japanese is the interior. We actually expected an astonishing driving machine with cheap plastics and coarse carpets, whose estimated price tag of 70.000 Euros only covers the mechanical finesses and welcomes the passengers with the usual, far-eastern grey in grey. But the needles of the speedometer and the rev counter flit over brash, high class dials, while the processed hides do not only nestle to back and hands, but also effuse a baronial aroma.
It's almost scary, but the last time we felt such a superior, omnipotent emotion like in the Nissan, we were sitting in the cockpit of the almighty Bugatti Veyron. There only is a handful of cars you can access the enormous powers as easily and safely as in the GT-R. On that note, it's almost unfair to mention that the Japanese only charge you half as much for their better-driving superstar than Porsche for their still facinating classic. Great for the consumer, annoying for the manufacturer: nowadays, engineering is out-of-date faster than ever before. A fact that the playstation kids only know too well.

You can turn all the GTR's aids off via the controls on the dash. What are the other computer things you're talking about? The ATESSA system? Pretty simple really. Front wheels lose traction, computers send up to 50% of torque to the front wheels.

You sound bitter like you have something against the car or the maker of the car. Accept it for what it is - a fantastic car and a magnificent achievement of Japanese engineering. I think the R35 GTR is now the benchmark for other supercars, which is a strange thing.

...*sigh*, eh, I'm not bitter, just disappointed I guess. I know that post sounds really cranky and contrived and all, but I am happy for the car. Its just that the way they went about it seems like...cheating...somehow.

Eh, whatever, just the opinion of a purist (albeit a young one, dunno what I really have to complain about :lol:). I still have an inkling of hope that the ZR1 will demolish it, but that's looking less likely every day, so I guess I should give credit where credit's due <_<:rolleyes:

I couldn't care less, would still have a 911 each and every day of the week.

look at the bright side, if this car really is as quick as everyone claims, porsche is gonna work extra hard to bring out a 911 that?ll be even faster :D

There is nothing funnier than people bitching about cars they haven't driven and couldn't even afford to buy anyway.

look at the bright side, if this car really is as quick as everyone claims, porsche is gonna work extra hard to bring out a 911 that?ll be even faster :D

Indeed. I bet 911's always will be more pricey than the GT-R tho. You pay for what you get. :)

There is nothing funnier than people bitching about cars they haven't driven and couldn't even afford to buy anyway.

And bitching about exactly how the car manages to be so damn fast. Hating a car because of the kind of people who like it.

If you think the GT-R doesn't have a good chassis or isn't well set-up, you're fooling yourself.

I usually don't like Japanese cars at all, but I will admit this is quite amazing, would I want one over a carrera gt or a viper? Hell no because V-10s make this engine sound like a ape getting its ass waxed, V-10s for life.

Just thought I'd add my two cents.... Porsche lovers seem to hate this car, and there is a good reason why. It is faster in the corners, in braking, and in acceleration than the 911 Turbo, which is itself a very impressive car. They both have 4 seats, both could be used as daily drivers, and both will have some exclusivity about them. The one major difference will be the price, and this is where the Nissan will crush the Porsche. I'm not biased towards Porsche, so I look forward to seeing these on the street next year!

Jay Leno loved this car as well, you can see him drive it on last weeks Jay Leno's Garage.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=244892

Edmunds Inside Line has a great video that shows this cars amazing capabilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDoJdQXmwu8

Last edited:
All i have to say about the GT-R vs Porsche thing is wait 10 years, and see which one is in better shape... My money would be on the Porsche.

Since when are cars like this bought for their reliability?

Just thought I'd add my two cents.... Porsche lovers seem to hate this car, and there is a good reason why. It is faster in the corners, in braking, and in acceleration than the 911 Turbo, which is itself a very impressive car.

All true, however the approach to performance seems entirely different. Compared to the 911 the GT-R is a brute. I'm not exactly what you'd call a Porsche fan but the GT-R is too butch for me. It doesn't feature the female lines of most classic sport cars either. It's pure testosterone. If that's your thing fine. I couldn't live with it.