The guitar thread

The guitar thread

• Total voters
Save your money and get a Jazzmaster. You will be happier in the long run.
I dunno. I'd like an bit of a "everything axe" and although I love the looks of the jazzmaster, dual soapbars is not exactly ideal. I also play some metal, and I've heard that the jazzmaster is quite ill suited for that. The Jaguar HH is kinda interesting though, although I'd prefer a 24.75" or 25.5" scale for drop C tuning.

-Slow neck. Don't think you are going to be doing 200 BPM arpeggio triplet runs on a Les Paul.

To me it's the other way around.. And this tune is played with a Les paul, some of the runs are pretty mean..
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BtY8fGvDqU[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Just because some very good guitarists can play like motherfuckers on les pauls (see; Buckethead) doesn't mean they aren't still ill suited for it. Obviously practise will overcome any deficiency of any guitar. But the les paul's neck profile and fret access are still ill suited to shredding.

Well, the Les Paul can pull off metal...the Strat has a harder time. The Les Paul would work as Metal, but more so for rhythm. If you were doing lead, I'd say the neck profile of a guitar LIKE a strat is better, I don't like their pick-ups for metal...but those are easy enough to switch out if you really like a strat. Otherwise, there are lots of 24-fret guitars with humbuckers, HSS, SSS, and HSH configurations like Ibanez and Jacksons out there.

I've owned both a Les Paul Standard (stay away from gold finished hardware...look at it too hard and it rubs of, and the tuning knobs are too fragile...they get wobbly over time and the G has a hard time keeping tune) and I've owned a Mexican Standard Stratocaster. While it had it's place, it's pick-ups were too buzzy, I hate trelmos, and I felt limited with soloing with just 21 frets.

I just ordered one of these:
https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=cs6
with string through bridge, and two humbuckers. It should be finished in the next coupla weeks. I played one in a store, and it was the best playing guitar I've ever touched, including $4,000 PRSs and Gibsons.

^That's a sweet looking guitar.. Although i've never played one..

I think the Les Paul is well suited for metal and shredding. I like it alot. I don't like the Strat though.. I guess ppl are diffrent.. :p

I think so, too! It'll be black stain on a flamed maple top...I can't wait!

I do like Carvin's...I think of them as a serious alternative to PRS, without the stupidly high prices and, well, pretentiousness.

I do like Carvin's...I think of them as a serious alternative to PRS, without the stupidly high prices and, well, pretentiousness.

You're wrong. Spend any amount of time on their forum and you'll see it's their own kind opf pretentiousness."

"Pff...you bought a guitar in a STORE?!?! you got ripped off, my friend!"

:lol:

I kid, of course...

idol_wi64vintageblonde.jpg

Just won an auction for one of these on Ebay, and now I have to tell the world! I've been thinking about buying a new guitar for the whole spring. I started looking at the Washburn Idol series this Tuesday and this afternoon I won an auction for a WI64V. I never really intended to get the Vintage model...and especially not in blonde, but I'm quite happy with the deal anyway. The list price is $900 and the best price I could find new was $530, but I got away with $200. Now I'm all bouncy from the purchase, but it's gonna take one or two agonizing weeks before the guitar gets here. I can't wait!

Here's Guitar World demoing the guitar:
[youtube]CX80-qD-owI[/youtube]

I need some advice on a good, but cheap guitar amp. I used to have big tube amp, but ended up selling it a few years back and have only been playing acoustic since then, but I want to get back into electric again.

I just need something small because I live in an apartment complex and can't jam out too loud. Also, built-in effects would be a bonus. At the bare minimum I need distortion.

$100 is about all I can afford now, but I may be able to spend more if it's worth it.

Here are a couple I'm looking at:

Crate FW15R FlexWave Guitar Combo Amplifier (15 Watts, 1x12 in.)
http://www.zzounds.com/item--CRAFW15R

Peavey Vypyr 15 Guitar Combo Amplifier (15 Watts, 1x8 in.)
http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVVYPYR15

Fender Frontman II 15R Guitar Combo AmplifIer (15 Watts, 1x8 in.)
http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0231501049

Line6 Spider III 15 Guitar Combo Amplifier (15 Watts, 1x8 in.)
http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINSPIII15

I welcome any suggestions/advice.

Thanks in advance :D

You can't go wrong with a Peavey, a lot of people like to bash them, but I'll stand by their quality.

I was actually leaning towards the Peavey :) I used to have a old Peavey amp back in the day and it was tough as hell, and the sound was pretty good.

I like the fact that it has so many effects and settings, and the reviews I've seen have been mostly positive. The others seem to have more weak points in comparison.

I'm gonna swing by some local music shops on Monday and see if they have any of these models so I can test them out, but I'll probably order online to get a better deal since I'm low on cash at the moment.

Have you thought about an effects system with a modeler? I've got a 1/s stack that I can't use due to volume constraints, but my digitech multi-effects processor has a decent amp modeler. Having a nice amp, I'm spoiled and just can't accept small "cheap" amps. This seems to work pretty well, and is really nice for recording sinc eyou can't get a good mic'd amp sound unless you're moving a lot of air (aka "loud" volume settings.)

What type of music do you want to play through it? Blues? Metal? Classic Rock? Polka?

I used to have one of the Boss all-in-one effects systems a few years back. I paid a ton for it brand new and really liked it, but ended up trading it in for a nice acoustic. I wish I still had it though....

For now, I just need a cheap and small amp because I can't play very loud where I live right now, and I'm just playing for fun, so I don't plan to do any gigs or anything like that. Plus I don't have a whole lot of cash right now to buy anything too extensive.

I play a wide variety of music: classic rock, new rock, blues, folk.....I've been playing since about 1998, so that's ten years now, but I'm not a pro by any means. I know enough songs to impress my friends, but I'm not good enough to be in a band or anything, hehe. I just haven't been as dedicated as I should when it comes to practice, but that's one of the reasons I want to get back to electric, because just playing acoustic is getting boring and I having an electric again will inspire me to play more.

So at the very least, I'd like to have some built-in basic distortion, but anything extra would be good. Eventually I may pick up some extra pedals, but I can only afford a cheap amp for now.

Last edited:
Jeffy, what about one of those small digital Vox or Roland amps? I don't know how they compare to those other small amps price-wise, but I bet they're incredible value for money with several amp types. You can't go wrong wit that.

http://www.voxamps.com/us/da-series/da15/

On a side note: i got my birthday present from my fianc?e: a Pedaltrain 2 pedalboard + Boss EQ7. NICEH!

This is the only Vox in my price range:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--VOXV9168R

Do you think that's preferable to the others I posted? The reviews are very positive from what I've seen. I also like the fact that it has an optional footswitch.

Last edited:
Hey, a guitar thread!

Of the list provided, I'll have to go with Jimmy "Led Wallet" Page. My favorite guitarists are David Gilmour, Rory Gallagher, Michael Schenker, Ritchie Blackmore, and even Yngwie Malmsteen.

I've been playing since age 15, been in a few bands, but don't play much anymore. Still have most of my stuff though.

Guitars:
1984 Fender Stratocaster (Got it new as a Japanese-made Squier, but I had the headstock label replaced when it was refretted)
1959 Fender Stratocaster (got is as a neck, body and bridge, had to build it back from there)
1991 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Fender Telecaster Highway 1
1986 Schecter Stratocaster (scalloped fingerboard)
1984 Charvel Model 2
199? Jackson replica of Amir Derakh's "Navy" Charvel (see below)
1992 Gibson Flying V
2004 Gibson Les Paul

Amps:
Fender Blues Jr.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Effects:
Too many to list them all, but favorites include the Danelectro "Daddy O" overdrive and the rack-mounted Line 6 echo/delay.

charvel_navy-01.jpg

Honestly, you can only tell so much about an amp by reading about 'em. I would never EVER think about buying an amp I haven't tried unless it's a Carvin, because I know I've got 10 days to try it out and am only out shipping.

Yeah, I'm planning to go and try them out. Just thought you guys may have some experience with some of these brands, if not the exact models.

After going to the guitar shop today, I think I decide to spend a little more and get this Marshall:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSHMG15CDR

Haven't got it yet though.......have to wait till I get paid.