Cancer Sucks

JC has also tweeted his condolences and acknowledged how much an influence FinalGear was on TopGear.

That's a very classy move from Jeeza.

RIP Alex, I'm really sad I never got the chance to meet you in person.

Lots of respect for Clarkson for doing that, a nice gesture. We always knew FG had an influence on the global success of TG, can’t remember if it has been acknowledged like this before.

Clarkson breaking the news. I don't know what to say, I wasn't expecting this.

Damn, it's taken me two days to even work out what to say. Needless to say I've not yet actually managed to formulate anything that's not already been said.

RIP Alex, and thank you for all you did. Congratulations on being able to leave behind such a huge group of people with such admiration for you, reading the messages here and elsewhere it's clear your actions have brought people together who would not otherwise have met and helped people out of grim situations.

I know that all the posts on the "news" and twitter don't help Alex in any way, but if it makes some people realize how short life can be, still worthwhile.

Weirdly enough I looked into contacting them earlier this week. The only option would be to write a letter to W Chump & Sons' office in London and hope that it would be read at some point. I was planning to do that this weekend before we got the news but I think it's a fitting thing to do anyway.

If Alex's family do any kind of fundraising in his memory then I would drop the hint that they may wish to make a donation so if anyone hears news on that or has a link please let me know.

I tweeted at the three on the 20th but didn't get through. I am very thankful for Jeremy's post today.

Still don't really know what to say. FG saved me during a huge crisis when I was still in college. First Top Gear, then learning to know this community. FG, ans thus Alex' work, has seen me through College, Grad School, divorce, and into middle management... I can't thank Alex enough for what he created - sometimes people create greatness without even realizing it...

Christ, I stay off the forums for a couple of days to get a work project done and this happens. This is just awful. I knew he was still battling but had missed the latest update about his liver.

It's a small, extremely exclusive group of people that can say they brought together as many people from around the world as Alex did - I hope his family that survives him understands that. His loss is a big one.

May his final place of rest be deep and remain safely undisturbed by construction workers. RIP.

I've made a few lifelong friends from different parts of the world, and it was finalgear.com that brought us together.
May he rest in peace.

And fuck cancer.

I just read about it. There are no words, except for

Thank you, Alex, for how you improved all our lives. A positive, bright mark we will keep with us forever. This is a fantastic achievement, and in just 35 years!

We will all miss you. I like to think there is something after this; in other forms, in other ways, and you are now walking - or maybe driving - somewhere else, just on a different stretch of road.

I was fortunate enough to call Alex a personal friend. He will always be one of the greatest persons I've ever known... this world did not deserve someone like him. Reading through your many comments and appreciation speaks volumes about his character.

Going through the years of pictures we had together has been hard, but there are so many amazing moments we shared together. I smiled looking back and hope by sharing these moments, others will smile too. Just watching the videos of him and his Viper are comforting.

-Robert

EDIT: I see Alex changed my user tag line at some point. He has to be laughing at me wherever he is...

Last edited:
Rest In Peace buddy. I owe you all my happiness from my uni years. Thanks for bringing Top Gear to us!!!!!

I just saw the tweet from Jeremy. Haven’t been on the forums for years, but did know Viper had been really unwell for some time. I hadn’t seen his most recent blog posts so wasn’t expecting this at all. I’m in tears- like so many here I came here for the Top Gear episodes and chat, and left with friends, advice, support and honestly was saved in so many hard times by the people here. I hope Alex could see that part of his amazing legacy too. Thoughts and love with his family and friends.

Not many can steal attention from a V10 sports car, but whenever somebody mentions the name Viper, I'll remember you Alex.

As it seems everything that needed to be said has already been put into coherent words better than I could manage to put it, I felt this needed to be quoted, although it was being posted before the very last blog post with its tragic news arrived.

I profoundly hope the world realised the magnitude of his work and how it has influenced an almost unillustratable number of people over about one and a half decades (so far!). I am also severly happy Jeremy Clarkson acknowledges this openly on his Twitter in a very respectable manner.

I know that this weird place in a virtual online world has shown me that there are more absolute nutters out there in the real one - with the same attitudes, opinions, tastes, problems, experiences, stories, and, of course, lifes centered or focussed on cars. Whereever I may go and end up in my life, it and the people connected to this place have made an impact on the way I think - not just about cars and all around this topic, but to quite a big extent also on the way I see and feel about a lot of things in this world and life in general. This place and its people is something that's gonna stick with me for the end of time. No matter what happens, I will never forget it. As with many others on this place, I joined it after lurking for quite a while in a time where nothing seemed to be going in right the right direction. Realising this is one of the cures to what helped me overcome a lot of hurdles in the past of my so far not-so-long life is a feeling I have barely any kind of expression for; even more so for knowing that it actually did and worked. And for that, I am and always will be forever deeply and utterly grateful.