What's your latest [non-technology] purchase?

one+?

is that the same one+ from the phones?

one+?

is that the same one+ from the phones?

No, it's a Ryobi trade name for their extensive system of power tools and accessories that all use a specific form factor of 18V battery. There's some ludicrous number of tools that work with this system and the fact that everything except a couple of early chargers is backwards and forwards compatible means that as tech advances, your old tools can gain improvements by swapping in new-tech batteries.

https://www.ryobitools.ca/power-tools/products/list/family/one-plus

I like my Makita better, but these Ryobis are pretty good, especially for the money.

Last edited:
Some days I wish I had invested in Ryobi instead of Makita. Their tools are good but the price always hurts. I was concerned about the build quality of Ryobi but that doesn’t seem to be issue.

Regarding battery tech, my Makita to Bosch battery adapter is finally here from China to allow me to use the cordless Bosch Vacuum (GAS 18V-10L/3N) I picked up on sale a couple of weeks ago with my 4 and 5Ah batteries. It’s arguably better than the Makita equivalent while being half the price. Despite being a blue Bosch too it’s probably more cheaply made and lacks a brushless motor but that’s fine by me.

I’m quite pleased that I didn’t just throw money at Bosch batteries, AvE isn’t exactly impressed with their latest version.

Last edited:
Bought another kitchen.. Should ready to use in two weeks...

Bought another kitchen.. Should ready to use in two weeks...

As an american, it always amuses me when I see people talk about buying a kitchen, or a closet. It always takes me a few beats for my brain to stop imagining a whole room being ripped off of a house (walls, ceiling, and all), and whole new room being delivered and slapped into place by a huge hand playing with legos.

As far as power tools, I'm in three systems, and it works really well. I used to have 5 different battery systems, 4 chargers, etc. Never had enough of the batteries I needed.

Milwaukee 18V: the tools that I'm willing to spend a lot of money on to get a GOOD tool. Drill, impact driver, larger circular saw, and nail gun.

Milwaukee 12v: the Milwaukee charger has both the 18v and 12v sizes on it, so this seemed like a good option for more compact system like my small circuilar saw (I bring this to some job sites where the larger one would be cumbersome, and when going to the store to buy sheet goods (plywood) that are too large to fit into my car, that will need to be cot down to size later anyway), oscillating tool (the 18V would have been WAAAAAY too overkill, except for the toolless head change...), and small bit driver.

Ryobi: Lawn care (waaaaaay cheaper than Milwaukee), and tools that are nice to have, but not worth spending 2-4x as much for milwaukee (when milwaukee even has it). Jig saw, belt sander, tire inflater, water pump, 9' pole chainsaw, hedge trimmer, weed-whacker (aka line trimmer), caulk gun and the hot glue gun (which gets a suprising amount of use, what with it being cordless and all). I was going to go with the trim router, but unlike it's corporate trim from Ridgid, the Ryobi isn't brushless...and it's enough of a power difference that I might jump up to the milwaukee 18v version for that when the time comes. Ryobi is constantly doing rediculous black friday deals, though, where it's like..."buy this recip saw for $10 more than it normally is, and get $100 in batteries free".

As an american, it always amuses me when I see people talk about buying a kitchen, or a closet. It always takes me a few beats for my brain to stop imagining a whole room being ripped off of a house (walls, ceiling, and all), and whole new room being delivered and slapped into place by a huge hand playing with legos.

That would make is so much easier!!

Hi, I am really new here and I hope it's ok to post it here. Because the search didn't really give me a better thread to do so.

It's not a purchase, it's a gift I got from a friend (some time ago) who knew that I am a Top Gear Fan. And even if I really like The Stig and I love to collect Merch from my favorite Shows .. this gift is taking a lot of space and I don't really have the place to show it off in a way that would do it justice.

Sure I could sell it on eBay but tbh I want to sell it to someone with whom I can be sure that it will be appreciated for the right reasons. So my question is: Is anyone of you interested?

(Sorry if there are any mistake language-wise .. English is not my first language)

As it seems I am also too stupid to attach pictures here -__-, so the Merch in Question is a Bendy-Limbed, speaking The Stig Doll, still in its original packaging, I never took it out.

Edit: figured it out, i got the wrong links at first

83bd865070.jpg
22c8fedc22.jpg

The purchase itself wasn't recent but for his birthday Junior got two tickets (himself plus yours truly as chauffeur) to see Caravan Palace live, the added bonus of the venue being the stunning, Art Deco building that is the De La Warr (pronounced "Wear") in Bexhill.

All I can say is that if those guys are playing locally to you then go see them. One of the best gigs I've ever been to. Note perfect across the whole band, a unique and original sound and a performance full of great choreography, humour, grace, class and style.
6cedc6b407f2538470a5bfa8276ce2b1.jpg

The purchase itself wasn't recent but for his birthday Junior got two tickets (himself plus yours truly as chauffeur) to see Caravan Palace live, the added bonus of the venue being the stunning, Art Deco building that is the De La Warr (pronounced "Wear") in Bexhill.

All I can say is that if those guys are playing locally to you then go see them. One of the best gigs I've ever been to. Note perfect across the whole band, a unique and original sound and a performance full of great choreography, humour, grace, class and style.
6cedc6b407f2538470a5bfa8276ce2b1.jpg

Awesome! I've been a fan of Caravan Palace for a few years.

Reactions: MWF
Added bonus? Zoé Colotis is incredibly...

What's the French for "va-va-voom"?

Bonus points to anyone who gets that reference. A Brit, most likely.

Added bonus? Zoé Colotis is incredibly...

Oh, no doubt. I may have a thing for female vocalists as so many are so incredible with their talents. ;)

Sadly, I’ve failed to erase old Renault adverts from my memory. I’m sure I could remember something more useful.

Reactions: MWF
Yes, but don't forget that before Thierry Henry was cast, they used to feature the stunning Helene Mahieu...

Nice. I've got a tabletop Delta that's proven to be pretty OK.

At some point, I'd like to upgrade to one with a dial-controlled speed and display. If i can throw money at an annoyance with tools, I'll do it if I think it means that I'll actually be more motivated to use it...and the belts/pulleys is one of those annoyances. There's a Rikon and a jet that about $500 that have a lever control for speed, rather than having to manually move pulleys/belts, getting dirty hands so then either wasting rubber gloves or stopping work to go wash my hands, etc.

If you're feeling frisky, you can convert your existing press to a variable-speed control a couple of ways. A 3-phase motor and a VFD is a pretty common swap and can be done for ~$100USD, or if you are feeling extra-techy and extra-cheap, grab a free treadmill off of Craigslist and rip the DC motor and controller out of it. Replace the treadmill circuit board with a 5K pot and adapt the motor to your pulley set. Lots of guides out there for either route.

Personally, I don't mind swapping belts. Lots of the conversions are from guys whose drills don't have a low enough minimum RPM for metal or large wood bores - mine goes down to 150 RPM so that's not a concern for me.

See, since this hobby can only be done on weekends, during the day, when the weather cooperates (since my "shop" is the drivway,, I don't have the luxury of time for things like this. While I would actually probably find it interesting and would learn a lot, it would likely take me months...months which I wouldn't be doing the woodworking stuff I really love. So I'm OK with throwing some dollars at a "finished" solution. Same reason I keep replacing more tools with cordless. The time I'm not having to deal with extension cords, the more time I have for "doing". I know it probably seems silly, but if it's the difference between my worth-$200 drill press, $100 more in parts, and then 2 months of weekends, then I'd just sooner spend the additinal $200 on one with the adjustment lever and digital readout, and then have 2 months of use out of it. :)