Ownership Verified: Summer car of 2020, Toyota Soarer 2005

Very cool. I must say I'm not a big fan of the exterior - the shape of the rear with the roof up just seems off to me, the slope is too far forward, similar as on some other power hardtops (the NC PRHT comes to mind) vs. soft tops. But the details on the car are exquisit, and I imagine it's an extremely nice place to be in and cruise for long distances. Having the only one in the country also definitely adds a certain flair :)

Seems there’s some that do and some that still don’t. It appears to be really expensive still. Spotty at best, not sure actually.
Starlink, OneWeb and similar constellations will fix that completely once operational. Will take a little while still though.

Starlink, OneWeb and similar constellations will fix that completely once operational. Will take a little while still though.

Yeah, and then we’ll have texting while boating. ?

Trip has been planned, estimated departure from Nagoya 27th of March, and arrival in Hanko 15th of May. Sooner than I originally expected!

Now I got the export certificate, which shows mileage on the two previous inspections. The car has done 1300 km since September 2016. 72600 km then, 25 months later 73400 km, and now just under 74. A bit worryingly low accumulation, I don't think it is good for the car. But anyhow, a complete service is in order anyway. At least all the fluids, filters, cam belt need to be replaced asap.

Trip has been planned, estimated departure from Nagoya 27th of March, and arrival in Hanko 15th of May. Sooner than I originally expected!
A Toyota Soarer arrived today!

The big one just left the east coast of US, so schedule is a bit delayed.

Attachments

• 15894794264773062677473662586645.jpg
    15894794264773062677473662586645.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 83
Finally here! Battery seems to be quite shot, but otherwise simply excellent! I so love the color.
20200622_185552.jpg
20200622_190701.jpg
20200622_193655.jpg

20200622_184054.jpg

Attachments

• 20200622_183743.jpg
    20200622_183743.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 82
Brilliant! Can't wait for pic spam and drivability updates!

The colour seems gorgeous! Congrats and good luck with the import process!

The light pattern seems to be quite flat, so registering with zero changes should be doable...
20200622_193813.jpg

Amazing, you bought yet again blindly an immaculate car from Japan ... and the colour is amazing. Remember, Top Gear said this was the worst car ever, so feel free to prove that right or wrong!
Maybe one day I need to hire you to buy some car for me from Japan ...

The colour is spot on, so much richer and sumptuous than on those listing photos. I also like how it's a 4.3-liter V8 but the font choice on the engine cover is as generic as if it was a 2.4 commonrail diesel :D

Agreed that the colour is really nice, looks like it's been well cared for too. It really does look like a Japanese Jaaaag XK with cream leather and shaped wood panels.

I drove the car for about an hour with no problems, got home, turned the car off, and it went dead. Battery quickly dropped down to 6 volts and would not get any charge.

No problem, this was expected. I bought a new battery, plugged it in, but nothing. It is like there is no battery at all. Battery has juice just fine, and it does not consume at all. Main fuses right next to the battery look all good.

As JDM cars often have aftermarket systems installed, I am leaning towards it having some sort of kill switch somewhere, but I just cannot find it...

We have super short summer, so I would like to get to drive this thing before it ends ?

Surprise, there was nothing wrong in the car, as it is a Toyota. The reason is in my mirror. There are actually two positive cables, one of which managed to hide from me. Connected it to the battery, and world is good again. Gave her a quick wash, so a picdump:

waDXfDs.jpg

0pmXKyB.jpg

XzxHjco.jpg

JceatlW.jpg

aPUu9bn.jpg

1ufQSji.jpg

vM0KQi7.jpg

4ogaA38.jpg

vY78W0F.jpg

4Xf3Gpv.jpg

I wasn't aware it has a Griffin in the grill. Cool!

Neat!

Not that I doubt you, but the traditional proof pic is needed. ;)