Covid 19 CRISIS

^ :rolleyes:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...se-coronavirus-powers-charge-shoppers-buying/

How about the shops stop selling alcohol aswell, as this is not an essential either? Bet those c*nts wouldn't be as cheerful about that.

This is going to sound strange, but alcohol is essential for alcoholics. If you cut them off cold-turkey with no access to medical supervision they can seize and even die. The other reason to keep the alcohol flowing is because it can help placate the masses; try to take it away and you are more likely to have a lot of grumbling and eventual unrest.

^ :rolleyes:

This is going to sound strange, but alcohol is essential for alcoholics. If you cut them off cold-turkey with no access to medical supervision they can seize and even die. The other reason to keep the alcohol flowing is because it can help placate the masses; try to take it away and you are more likely to have a lot of grumbling and eventual unrest.
And as someone who is a self-confessed but high functioning alcoholic I couldn't agree more.

Perhaps I could do a Facebook plea like this lady for her disabled son.

Warning: Heart warming story incoming!

BBC News - Coronavirus: Mum's search for chicken nuggets for disabled son
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52098096

4)The situation in Italy

I agree with most of your analysis but what is your take on the number of newly reported cases? It seems that we're finally seeing the effects of the quarantine there as the number of new cases has started to stabilize and in the case of Lombardy, decline.

Agreed as a staunch teetotaler.

I agree with most of your analysis but what is your take on the number of newly reported cases? It seems that we're finally seeing the effects of the quarantine there as the number of new cases has started to stabilize and in the case of Lombardy, decline.

So it seems, but one swallow doesn't make a summer. Emilia-Romagna, my Region, saw today a 40% drop in new cases, and it had clearly stabilized in the past days. However, such a drop is way too much for a single day, and maybe there are uncounted cases that tomorrow will be added back (it has already happened with some figures). Or maybe it is actually very good data. Who knows, today. A 300-cases difference can also modify the national figures, so...

At least a three-four days of downward trend would be necessary to understand if the peak has passed. The good news is that the reduction has been observed in more than one area, and in the total figures.

Let's hope tomorrow will confirm the downward trend.

A nearby county (across the boarder in Kansas) recorded their first death today. A 40 year old woman that was not known to be positive until after her death.

Meanwhile a trip to the grocery store today and most things were returning to normal. Beef was gone, but plenty of chicken and pork. Eggs were mostly gone. Baking supplies, flour, sugar, etc. were almost non-existent. However, there were no toilet paper or paper towels to be had.

Today's numbers: 903 cases (+65) / 12 deaths (+2)

Today's update: 1031 cases (+128) / 13 deaths (+1)

Stores here are returning to normal. There are canned goods on the shelves again, meat and dairy have been well stocked for about a week. Rice, flour, and pasta are still in short supply.

Cleaning supplies and disinfectants are like gold and still going fast. Cold and flu medications are also nowhere to be found.
Gun stores are seeing a huge spike in sales, often first-time buyers and a lot of Asian buyers. Ammunition disappeared and is on backorder at high prices. When people can't get what they need at the grocer, their next stop is the gun store.

Today's update: 1031 cases (+128) / 13 deaths (+1)

Oh damn, more than Full HD, we rocking now! /s

Regarding the gun thing, it's worrying and more so as it sounds like those of the Asian stereotype are now worried for their lives. What the fuck?

I don't get the "we must buy all the rice" when you can just as easily make something with meat in it. Making rice will still need heat...

So it seems, but one swallow doesn't make a summer. Emilia-Romagna, my Region, saw today a 40% drop in new cases, and it had clearly stabilized in the past days. However, such a drop is way too much for a single day, and maybe there are uncounted cases that tomorrow will be added back (it has already happened with some figures). Or maybe it is actually very good data. Who knows, today. A 300-cases difference can also modify the national figures, so...

At least a three-four days of downward trend would be necessary to understand if the peak has passed. The good news is that the reduction has been observed in more than one area, and in the total figures.

Let's hope tomorrow will confirm the downward trend.

I agree that it is early days. I was mainly going by the stability we saw in the number of new cases over the past 5 or so days. It seems to hover around ~5500 new cases/day.

I agree that it is early days. I was mainly going by the stability we saw in the number of new cases over the past 5 or so days. It seems to hover around ~5500 new cases/day.

Last weekend Germany had a similar thing, a significant dip during/after the weekend that eventually was amended with reports coming in late. We'll need several days of lower numbers to know.

Regarding the gun thing, it's worrying and more so as it sounds like those of the Asian stereotype are now worried for their lives. What the fuck?
There's a run on guns every time something bad happens, just like we New Englanders buy a ton of bread and milk every time it's supposed to snow.

Professor Kim Woo-joo from Korea University Guro Hospital

Oh damn, more than Full HD, we rocking now! /s

I don't get the "we must buy all the rice" when you can just as easily make something with meat in it. Making rice will still need heat...
Minorities have been buying guns here at an increased rate for the last couple of years due to some of the rhetoric coming from the White House and an increased number of White Nationalist motivated attacks and marches. This is adding more stress to an already volatile situation; it's also not the first time this has happened. Remember the 1992 LA riots and the Korean business owners on their roofs with automatic weapons?

Rice is shelf stable and energy-dense. It's also cheap to buy when you are trying to stock up for an unknown time and you still have your typical food budget. Meat spoils and it's more expensive, for the price of 2 pounds of boneless chicken breast you can buy 10 pounds of rice.

Rice is shelf stable and energy-dense. It's also cheap to buy when you are trying to stock up for an unknown time and you still have your typical food budget. Meat spoils and it's more expensive, for the price of 2 pounds of boneless chicken breast you can buy 10 pounds of rice.
All the grains pretty much, rice, buckwheat, various types of pasta, oatmeal, all of that stuff is cheap nutritious and can last for years. Meat is great if you can freeze it, but most people don't necessarily have the freezer space for that and you are spot on on the price.

I wanna know how many gun control folks are lining up to get themselves a scary assault weapon in light of all of this.

That's a good question. Most of what I've seen from liberal gun owners has been pistols or defensive shotguns, but that's only what I've seen posted online - so not exactly a large or representative sample. I doubt many would advertise that they are new AR or AK owners.

Summer sausages, or other dried/smoked meats can last awhile unrefrigerated without spoiling. They'll also provide a lot more nutrition than rice.

I can't comment on the price difference.

I don't get why anyone would buy a gun because of Covid19. I see that people are buying them but it looks like the same bunch of people who run out to buy guns when they hear that halftime will feature Spanish lyrics. If you think the civil society is that fragile you must not have that much faith in your current government.

That said I bought over $350 in pillows today.