Volkswagen admits car ad racist, apologizes

jack_christie

Forum Addict
Last edited:
Oopsie!

That said, it's nice to hear someone say "Yes, we're aware from where we came, and we're trying to do better" instead of ignoring and blaming other people.

“We at Volkswagen are aware of the historical origins and the guilt of our company during the Nazi regime. That is precisely why we resolutely oppose all forms of hatred, slander/propaganda and discrimination.”

Even outside of the fact of the ad being racist or not, what even is it?

What's the concept, is it part of a bigger campaign or something?

Jeez i had to read the article to understand what the racism was. I looked at the clip and didn't think anything of it. I thought it was just a guy being pushed out of the way and not block the view of the car.
I guess some people look for negatives for the sake of it.

I just find it ironic that there's probably a focus group in their advertising department who say that for the sake of inclusion and anti-discrimination, they have to have a broad cross-section of people appear in their ads. Women, children, different family units, people of colour and various ethnicity. Then that very same advertising department produce this probably patting themselves on the back for having cast it, and conceptualised it and don't realise that it could be interpreted in this way.

Last edited:
Of course people see in it what they want to see, but the letters in the words DER NEUE GOLF had the letters N E G E and R displayed first...

I watched the video after reading the story. I don’t see it as racist but I guess it could be.