Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Yes, we need more pulse jets.

My car has keyless entry and start. Three mornings in a row I've had to dig my keys out and unlock the car via the remote (like a caveman) because the keyless buttons on the door handles haven't worked. Nothing happens, as if the key isn't present. Once I get in to the car, however, the engine start button works as well as it always has.

And it's just been in the mornings as I've been heading to work. It's been fine at work 15 minutes later, at the shops, and when I get home that evening and park in the exact same spot.

I put a new CR2032 in the key today so we'll see tomorrow morning, but I can't see why it would help. Remote lock/unlock works fine and the range is as good as it ever has been. I'm not even sure that the CR2032 has anything to do with the keyless.

My car has keyless entry and start. Three mornings in a row I've had to dig my keys out and unlock the car via the remote (like a caveman) because the keyless buttons on the door handles haven't worked. Nothing happens, as if the key isn't present. Once I get in to the car, however, the engine start button works as well as it always has.

And it's just been in the mornings as I've been heading to work. It's been fine at work 15 minutes later, at the shops, and when I get home that evening and park in the exact same spot.

I put a new CR2032 in the key today so we'll see tomorrow morning, but I can't see why it would help. Remote lock/unlock works fine and the range is as good as it ever has been. I'm not even sure that the CR2032 has anything to do with the keyless.

To unlock my car keylessly, I need to touch the inside of the door handle. It sometimes has issues if there is water or snow on the sensor.

Is it possible a similar thing is happening? Morning dew screwing with a sensor?

To unlock my car keylessly, I need to touch the inside of the door handle. It sometimes has issues if there is water or snow on the sensor.

Is it possible a similar thing is happening? Morning dew screwing with a sensor?

No, there's an actual physical button on all the door handles and all of them are dead when this happens. It worked fine this morning, though. No idea if it has to do with the new CR2032 I put in yesterday.

I don't think this car has had a single winter/weather related issue yet, btw. Not even a malfunctioning door lock or a frozen folding mirror motor, unlike the Skoda I had from new that started having these kinds of issues after only a couple of years.

My wife's Hyundai does the same thing. In her purse, it works flawlessly, but in my pocket, it sometimes wont open unless I press the actual button on the keyfob. No idea why, the dealer doesn't either. I'm not wearing lead pants or anything so I don't know why the signal won't get through.

Also, keyless go is the worst possible purchase my wife has ever made, since now she never knows where her key is. Her purse? Good luck finding it (I usually just take the whole thing). Or maybe in the other purse. Or maybe in my jacket pocket. Or maybe I put it somewhere in the hallway.

Drives me nucking futs!

I love to just get in, push start and put my seatbelt on while the engine fires up.

I love to just get in, push start and put my seatbelt on while the engine fires up.

I don't need to wait for the engine to fire up. Turn key, put in D, off. :p

I don't need to wait for the engine to fire up. Turn key, put in D, off. :p

I don't need to wait either, because I'm busy putting my seatbelt on while it's happening.

We don't have a WTAF auto thread, so I will put it here.

Thanks to the last second application of $200 in FedEx overnight fees, I am in possession of... MAYBE all the paperwork necessary to own and operate a Subaru WRX. It will be turned in to the Maryland MVA on Tuesday morning, whereupon they will tell me whether I have actually succeeded in my task (they will consider the car a new car and thus I don't need a safety inspection) or whether they consider it a used car and I will only walk away with 30-day transit tags and get to make the funniest appointment at a Subaru dealership ever.

Either way, the end of Chapter 1 is in sight.

As to what the hell required emergency FedExing, apparently I am literally the only person who saw any problem with "uh hey the previous owner's signature isn't on this title". At 3PM on Thursday before a holiday weekend with a 'must be in my posession before 8AM Tuesday' deadline.

So during our roadtip this holiday weekend @Der Stig had a foot peg fall off his motorcycle while I was following him.

About 4 seconds in as the Chevy is alongside him you can see the peg fall off on his right side before making a couple small bounces and then flying up and off to the right. At the time I thought it was just a water bottle laying in the road that got kicked up, you can see me sort of swerve away to the left as it flies by. Later on at the next fuel stop he mentioned he lost a peg and I then realized what it actually was. Glad it didn't actually hit me.

So during our roadtip this holiday weekend @Der Stig had a foot peg fall off his motorcycle while I was following him.

About 4 seconds in as the Chevy is alongside him you can see the peg fall off on his right side before making a couple small bounces and then flying up and off to the right. At the time I thought it was just a water bottle laying in the road that got kicked up, you can see me sort of swerve away to the left as it flies by. Later on at the next fuel stop he mentioned he lost a peg and I then realized what it actually was. Glad it didn't actually hit me.
I was on the receiving end of that a few years back- obliterated my windshield, bit of debris on the dashboard. Luckily the glass was strong enough to deflect the blow and send it into the median versus allowing a entry-point at my cranium.

Yeah the next few maintenance sessions with him on that bike will involve threadlocker on all the ancillary bits. I think there's been enough history of loose bolts with his bikes :-D

Yikes! Good thing you were able to avoid it.

I only lost two bolts over 2000 miles, but managed to grind that right highway peg with enthusiastic cornering being the culprit. I heard it skipping off the pavement mid corner and made a mental note to back off. I looked down and it was bent at a weird angle.

Next thing I knew, it was gone ?

E2549E17-8711-46CC-B48C-CE97B57C3534.jpeg

Bah grinding. Last time I broke a peg I did so by snapping it on a pot hole.

It must have looked pretty bad ass as everyone at the intersection were honking their horns as I picked up my bike. :cool:

Grinding pegs is a bad thing, it usually means the rider's body position needs to be improved to reduce lean angle.