2020 F1 season thread

mercedes painted the safteycar ferrari red in recognition of ferrari's (not realy) 1000th F1 race this weekend
5304039_HiRes.jpg

and ferrari themselves reapplied the red from their early days:
ferrari.jpg

That’s a really nice gesture by Mercedes. Also, Seb has officially signed with Racing Point/Aston Martin.

A nice graphic there to show seats that are currently open. Mercedes has an open seat, but that’s just because nothing has been announced regarding Hamilton yet. Red Bull and Alpha Tauri have open seats, but they’ll be filled from within. The second Racing Point seat is open, but no way anybody other than Lance Stroll takes it. That leaves Haas and Alfa Romeo with both seats open. My dad said he heard rumors that Ferrari has claims on one of the seats at Alfa and that they want Mick Shumi in there getting F1 experience. I don’t see Checo going there, because I think Antonio stays around too. But I could easily see Haas dunk both their drivers and hire Hulkenberg and Perez, which would be a double upgrade for them.

mercedes painted the safteycar ferrari red in recognition of ferrari's (not realy) 1000th F1 race this weekend

ferrari.jpg

With Seb's 5 on the engine cover and LeGreg's 16 on the nose. :)

5304039_HiRes.jpg

ferrari.jpg
Is that the right Ferrari red and not the Marlboro red they've been in for a quite long time now?

Mercedes has taken every pole position so far this season.

Good to see a Ferrari make it through qualifying.

I don't even wanna see Albon in RB's cockpit now.
RBR should seriously think about how they treat racers and what's doing with them.

Just switch Gasly back with Albon. Job done.
If he'll even want to, that is

So, new rumors are the Russian kid in F2 will be going to Haas as Williams try to sign Perez and give Russel the boot. Which has Mercedes all sorts of angry at Williams. Interesting development; not sure if I were Perez I'd sign with the only team that is routinely slower than Haas even though it's got the best engine on the paddock behind the driver.

So, new rumors are the Russian kid in F2 will be going to Haas as Williams try to sign Perez and give Russel the boot. Which has Mercedes all sorts of angry at Williams. Interesting development; not sure if I were Perez I'd sign with the only team that is routinely slower than Haas even though it's got the best engine on the paddock behind the driver.

Why is Merc in a tiff?

If thats true that's real sad for Russell.... Otoh it may mean with 2 paydrivers of sorts, Williams will finally have some money in the bank, so they can afford to be not shit?

What would Perez get out of this? Yes, an F1 drive, but does he really want one at Williams?

What would Perez get out of this? Yes, an F1 drive, but does he really want one at Williams?

A Merc engine instead of a Ferrari? I'm wondering the same thing, to be honest.

A Merc engine instead of a Ferrari? I'm wondering the same thing, to be honest.
True, but even then it's in a car that's a second slower than even a lowly Ferrari.

It physically pains me to write those 2 last words in the same sentence in a non funny way....

True, but even then it's in a car that's a second slower than even a lowly Ferrari.

It physically pains me to write those 2 last words in the same sentence in a non funny way....

How much slower is a Williams than even a Haas? It's gotta be a 0.3 to 0.5 seconds, no?

Some other rumours I read this week:
- schumacher & mazepin will go to haas because ferrari is afraid haas would team up with renault (who already confirmed they would be open to a deal), and ferrari hopes giving them someone with a great last name will give haas more sponsoring opportunities, and keep them happy that way. And the father of mazepin would buy shares of the team
- gasly will go to renault instead of ocon as part of an engine deal for red bull in 2022
- red bull is afraid to downgrade albon since the red bull recipe is thai-owned and licensed to them. Getting rid of the only thai driver might put that deal under pressure
- and Hulkenberg will drive for half the field: williams, alfa romeo, haas and red bull!

Red Bull back to Renault? I don't think that's likely... I feel like that bridge got burned and burned hard. I've been reading that Red Bull is looking to take the Honda engine in-house.

Maybe that will give them the wings they need to win.

they're trying to convice F1 to lock the engine development for the comming years.
if they do red bull will take over the honda engine department and maintain the engines themselves.

but they don't have the possibility to keep developing the engine.

merc has 4 teams, ferrari has 3 teams, if none of those agrees to supply engines to RB, FOM will force renault to supply RB with engines.
i think everyone wants to avoid that and both RB and renault prefer having an agreement over being forced to work together