SSC claims their Tuatara hit a top speed of 331 mph/532 kph

Eye-Q

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Mazda MX-5 NB ringmeet fashion accessory

Holy hell, now that's a mark which is insane. There are cars which don't go 0 to 100 kph in 10 seconds, and this thing just obliterates the former record of the Koenigsegg Agera RS which managed that 447 kph the Tuatara hit 10 seconds after it hit 347 kph... :blink:
:blowup:

Technically only the 316 mph run counts since it needs to be done both ways, but still GOD DAMN..

And here's me thinking 500 kph would not be attainable anytime soon

316 MPH is a 2-way average. It's the official record, but it still hit 331 MPH to do it.

I like how he basically spends 20 minutes avoiding to accuse the company of being a cheat.

Is it possible it was filmed at a different frame rate at which it was uploaded? 30fps vs 24fps? I've accidentally done that once. Only reason I noticed was I tried playing guitar along with it, and the pitch/tuning didn't match.

In regards to the engine RPM/gear ratio/speed question, could tire deformation at these high speeds cause a higher speed compared to what's indicated? I realize this is likely an incredibly naive question, and genuinely curious.

I like how he basically spends 20 minutes avoiding to accuse the company of being a cheat.

A lot of youtubers are like that, where they try to come across as neutral...by not taking a stance on anything.

They know they will immediately alienate half of their fanbase by taking one or another stance. The salacious title brings them in the "We don't know" nonsense keeps them through the ad breaks.

Is it possible it was filmed at a different frame rate at which it was uploaded? 30fps vs 24fps? I've accidentally done that once. Only reason I noticed was I tried playing guitar along with it, and the pitch/tuning didn't match.
Assuming the assessment of 270ish vs 330ish is accurate, you might get that by playing 30fps at 24fps or 25fps. YT plays 30fps for me, but could of course be back-and-forth messup in the editing... though the driver motions don't look slowed down to me :dunno:

Last edited:
Is it possible it was filmed at a different frame rate at which it was uploaded? 30fps vs 24fps?
That wouldn't explain the difference between speedo and telemetry, or between the calculated speed from the max rev and gear ratios - although it's entirely possible that the car had a different final drive ratio or whatever.

In regards to the engine RPM/gear ratio/speed question, could tire deformation at these high speeds cause a higher speed compared to what's indicated? I realize this is likely an incredibly naive question, and genuinely curious.
You mean that the tyres inflate at higher speeds due to temperature and centrifugal force? Well... I'm not a physicist. But assuming that's the case for the sake of argument, an increase of about 10% in radius would be needed to explain the 30 mph difference between the indicated 301 mph and the claimed 331 mph, or even more if we take the 285-ish mph that Shmee assumes. That seems quite a lot to me.

What I really don't get is: Why would SSC put out a fake video with such an outrageous record claim? They (claim to) have pulverized Koenigsegg's numbers. It's totally predictable that their video will be scrutenized very thoroughly, and the points Shmee makes are really not that difficult to find out.
On the other hand, it's Shmee. I totally possibly that he makes wild speculations just to have a clickbait video.

That seems quite a lot to me.
Mind you, it's a 10% increase in diameter for the wheel/tire assembly. Hopefully the wheel isn't stretching, so that means the tire is doing all the stretching and went from 103,5mm of sidewall to 141,25mm, a 34,5% increase. I am far from an engineer, but this seem like a lot.

How spectacularly stupid would SSC be if they faked their own video? I'm sure there's another explanation...

they wouldn't be the first
and it's not like many owners will try to achieve that speed on their own

they wouldn't be the first
and it's not like many owners will try to achieve that speed on their own
Sure, but if you claim 'fastest ever' some people from Guinness will want to verify that claim

They don't care. It's only when you ask for their recognition that they come down to check.
But everyone is free to claim what he wants...

They do care... And have indeed promised to do a rerun...