Covid 19 CRISIS

I've been away for a while, but heard about this thread on the grapevice. It's been a pleasure reading the past dozen or so pages.

After spending too much time listening to the fear mongering populist crap on public news, and having too many of my daily contacts turn to paranoid conspiracy theorists, it's been a damn pleasure seeing some quality discourse on the topic.

Hear hear.

With at least three mRNA players, competition will hopefully lead to a stable-ish price. Economic theory calls this kind of situation a "stable oligopoly".

Also - good news, pharma investors are already planning post-pandemic price gauging. We got this in the bag.

In positive EU vaccination news, not only, as mentioned, has
So, while we are waiting for word not only on the AZ blood clodding debacle, but also on AZ's US and CureVac's EU/SA phase III trials any day now, the EU supply chains for non-AZ vaccines increasingly look super solid.
This means even without any further AZ doses, the EU we will be done with first doses within August (German press of course framed this as "Experts warn of further vaccination delay" - but the timeline does not care about framing).

Last edited:
Teslabjørn has it. 11 days in and he’s still in really rough shape. Being the YouTuber that he is he’s documenting it for posterity.

Time for good vaccination news? :nod:

1616092839048.png

(RKI)

Observe the pink line.

Around Christmas, over 20% of all tests done on 80+-year-olds in Germany were positive, topping all other age groups' rates.
By now, 80+ is the age group with the lowest test positivity rate :clap:?

For context, noone was vaccinated around Christmas, by now a majority of all 80+ people here are single-or-double-vaccinated.

Just booked an appointment for my 2nd shot for this saturday, same time and place, I do hope it won't be another 3 hours of waiting in the car though.

From an email today from Icelandair.

I want to, but I shouldn’t. :/

395C83E2-7043-49AE-ADB6-99C801C31B77.jpeg

I also would need to get vaccinated first.

If you haven't been to Iceland, it's worth getting stabbed in the arm for!

If you haven't been to Iceland, it's worth getting stabbed in the arm for!
Tell me about it, I checked online and local places are still saying "none available."

Dr. Scott Atlas now advising Gov DeSantos :eek:

In more good vaccination news, the AZ vaccine is back in use in the EU, which means we can get back to fighting them over supply. I am still confident of getting my first shot within Q2, but yeah, all things considered, in late 2020 I had assumed to already have had it now.

Last edited:
Another minor point on AZ: Researchers in several countries (at least in Norway and Germany - reporting in Norwegian and German, respectively) claim to have identified the mechanism that leads to the blood clodding. The good news is, as the mechanism is simple, they also identified a treatment for those rare cases.
Lancet paper forthcoming.

Last edited:
(Yes, I saw the pun)

I guess it's what happens when everyone involved realizes this is serious business and nothing that should be delayed while shuffling it around between different bureaucrats.