Covid 19 CRISIS

I mean, at least they are getting the vaccine, even if it's sort of in the wrong way.
When you make it political, this is what happens.

This is why I think it will end up spiraling up in deaths, after spiraling up in infections. We gave people vaccines for free, we gave out donuts if they got vaccinated, we gave beer, we had a lottery if you were vaccinated, we gave money, we gave free rides, free ice cream... We are going to see them do every step between here to requiring vaccination.

Americans Will Always Do the Right Thing — After Exhausting All the Alternatives​

My sister wasn't able to get tested today, though she hasn't told me what the fuck happened, so dunno anymore about that. But locally, this happened.

tenor.gif

177 new infections in Sydney in the last 24 hours. Lockdown extended another 4 weeks.

Missouri had over 5000 new cases in the last three days. There's no talk of anything changing to alleviate the problem.

I know it's not great, but at least your government takes this serious enough to try and contain it and to not let it spread like wildfire.

Last edited:
Unfortunately not available in my country. The news article.
TLDR version, the day after a county wide mask mandate went back into effect, it was repealed by the county council 5-2 BECUZ MAH FREEDUMSSS! This is after several places flagrantly said they wouldn't enforce it and the shitwad attorney general filed a lawsuit BECUZ MAH FREEDUMSSS!

Reactions: Hok
*looks at news as mask mandate comes*

1627487335436.png

1627487400341.png

Oh, there are loads of dumbasses fighting to "make it optional" which means "let me never wear one again." This is so frustrating.

Our illustrious (/s) governor won't even consider one. Any local one has always been very poorly enforced and voted down a week later or allowed to expire in a couple weeks.

Is it to early to move into a van down by the river? (Preferably in a northern latitude where it's cooler as we have already discussed today.)

I get why people don't want mask or really being required to be an adult about it. Though that's what covid requires of all of us to be responsible adults. I get I've been the most pessimistic in regards to covid but I feel Ive been more right than wrong. Covid Delta... It's like:
220px-Jaws_the_revenge.jpg

It's the sequel nobody wants. And while it comes out durring the summer it takes place during Christmas.

Attachments

• 220px-Jaws_the_revenge.jpg
    220px-Jaws_the_revenge.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 39

Nearly my entire state is red, except for those counties where there are no people (and they are probably under-reporting). Now I wait to see if my director lets us go back to working from home, or if he insists we keep seeing people in the office. I hope he at least changes the signage to take away the "honor system" approach to vaccinations.

Missouri had over 5000 new cases in the last three days. That's no talk of anything changing to alleviate the problem.

I know it's not great, but at least your government takes this serious enough to try and contain it and to not let it spread like wildfire.

239 new cases in the last 24 hours. 126 cases where transmission has not yet been traced, over half the total were infectious in the community.
Masks are now mandatory the second you step outside your door, and those of us in 8 local government areas where it’s particularly prevalent, are now not allowed more than 5km from home. (Work for us is 8km, but we fall under essential category in transport).

Final year high school kids are allowed to return to school for exams, and will be pushed ahead in the vaccination program, and construction workers whinged so loudly about losing money like the rest of us, that they’re now allowed back to work in “uninhabited” worksites. So next door have started back up building their childcare centre in the backyard, though they clearly live in the house.
Modelling now shows us as having to stay in lockdown until November, assuming today is the peak (I’m sure it won’t be).

Sure, we've only had 6000 infections in the country since the whole thing began, but this time, despite seeing it work down in Melbourne and Brisbane, Sydney were too slow in enforcing a hard lockdown - the leader didn't even want to use the word lockdown - 5 weeks ago. With an average incubation period of 10 days or so, we're getting worse 5 weeks in, when we should be seeing numbers drop off.

Wouldn't clarify what was essential, and what wasn't, so everything retail stayed open. People went out wandering the shops, cafes. Households drove across Sydney to go for a walk by the beach, using the excuse of "exercise", because there wasn't any limit on how far you could go.

Plus our federal government put all their faith in AstraZeneca as the vaccine the majority of us would get. Now it's not recommended for anyone under 60, and we don't have enough supply of Pfizer to go around, while they still haven't given final approval to any of the other vaccines for use here. "It's not a race" we were told. They’ll just keep the borders shut until whenever, but we're now SO FAR behind, we're still only at 13% fully covered. 17% partially covered.

I'm trying to make an appointment for my Dad to get it, and there are NO appointments available before October. Even then you must book both shots at the same time, to make sure there is enough supply, I was told yesterday.
So the second dose would be in November/December, and that's booked out too.
Surely one dose is preferable to none…

I am not sure there is a good scientific case for a mask mandate among those vaccinated (I still comply of course, though). There was a good article on Stat a few days ago that among other things mentioned re-introducing a mask mandate for the vaccinated may even have negative public health impact, since it would only reach (and annoy) those that already got a shot anyways: https://www.statnews.com/2021/07/22...ack-covid-again-does-anyone-want-to-use-them/

I think there is a stronger case for harsh public health measures in countries that have a good chance to reach a significant (80+% of adults) vaccine coverage soon or who don't even have widespread access to vaccines yet: They have to bridge a gap towards getting the vaccine out into people. Finland for example has another 14 to 16 weeks ahead until everyone who wants a shot got their second one. In fact, a small wave of people postponing their first shot until after summer vacation is expected within the next weeks as well, not to mention 75% of parents saying they want a shot for their 12-18 years olds as soon as it's available.
But for those countries torn up by covid denial and vaccine scepticism like large parts of the US and, sadly, Germany, I believe any even minor limitations on the rightsof those vaccinated (including mask mandates, capacity limits and venues, etc) can only be justified if a mandatory vaccination is introduced at the same time. Anyone who wants a shot could get one right now and be fully protected within eight weeks. If we ignore this fact and put in place blanket restrictions, we hand the vaccine refusers the key to society: Their vaccine refusal takes away the liberties of the vast majority that is vaccinated.

With a positive trial readout on vaccinating children between 3 and 12 expected within the next two months as well, one could argue that giving them access to a shot could be another requirement to lift restrictions - but let's face it, this would only benefit the kids of those already vaccinated once again.

Last edited:
Good luck, @Misrabelle , I'm sure you can get your dad in somewhere.
Finally managed to get two appointments in the allowed timeframe. 7th and 29th of October. So looks like I'll keep running the business and keeping Dad at home until then at least.