iPhone / iOS Thread

I also found out that if you use the Apple Watch to force lock the iPhone again after unlocking it with the watch, you have to reboot the phone and the watch in order for unlock with Apple Watch to work again. Dont know if it's a bug or a safety measure.

Supposed to be an update soon, as 14.5.1 has a negative effect on battery life

Please don't be wrong about this... Please, just please... :| He has a great track record when it comes to getting right actual products, just not their announcement/launch dates, so here's hoping.

Also, the iPad mini hasn't really received a visual update since it's launch in 2012, that's nine years. I know that it did eventually get a laminated display, Touch ID, and support for the Apple Pencil, but those didn't noticeably change the physical appearance of the device. As for the rumored redesign I think it makes a whole lot of sense, as it essentially is a smaller iPad Air with the flat side chassis, power button Touch ID, USB-C port, and even a smart connector, bringing more unity to the iPad range.

My iPad mini is the first generation from 2012 that is completely obsolete. If the new iPad mini turns out to be this rumored redesign, I will get one, the old one was small enough to fit in my (also very small) camera bag. With the Olympus E-M5 mk. III's built in WiFi and Bluetooth functionality it will be very convenient to transfer files wirelessly to the iPad, and do photo/raw editing on the go.

My new iPad mini 6 just arrived:
0E90122B-39AD-42B2-95DD-63AB30584E9D.jpeg

Compared to the original 2012 mini:
85097E3C-4497-499B-9AE2-935517B7F6F6.jpeg
BFAFACEF-40C8-468C-ABDA-33D9B810A59E.jpeg

Compared to 2016 iPad Pro 10,5”:
6170AE05-4E0D-4282-BDC3-C344947E3F61.jpeg

225A8CBC-9E79-43E8-B014-CC51508AC4C7.jpeg

The rumours were mostly true, the only thing missing is the Smart Connector, but that is no big deal, can’t really see how you could make a practical smart/folio keyboard for this small device.

I‘m also very happy with it so far, I really like this form factor, have been missing this since my old mini became unusable. This also adds a lot of capability, so it’s much more capable and useable than the old one ever was.

I posted this from the new mini.

Last edited:
I had a Mini Retina many years ago and it didn’t last long before it became infuriatingly slow. I guess the original Mini might have aged better since it had a lot less pixels to push, but using one in the 2020’s takes some dedication.

That looks like a really nice device.

Does the camera bump bother you at all?

Not really, haven’t noticed it much tbh. It still fits well in my small camera bag. Will be nice to use to edit Raw files from my camera on the go. It also helps that it has USB-C.

I had a Mini Retina many years ago and it didn’t last long before it became infuriatingly slow. I guess the original Mini might have aged better since it had a lot less pixels to push, but using one in the 2020’s takes some dedication.

That looks like a really nice device.

Actually, it’s really bad, it’s A5 chip is from the iPhone 4s and is only 32 bit, so way out of date and hopelessly incapable of running iOS 9.

The iPad Pro is a device I’m having on loan, so it’s going away soon.

Oh boy, I want one of those minis so bad, I also have a retina mini that's stuck on iOS 12 and super slow nowadays. I don't really have a use for a new one though. Maybe if there are some nice compact keyboard cases at some point.

I'd like one, but have no use for one. I bought an iPad 2 years ago, used for mixing audio with a Yamaha LS9-32 and then when that project was done the iPad sat on the charger for a year. It did let me use the ARD Mediathek app to watch german tv shows... Otherwise it wasted space so I sold it last April.

I am not planning to replace my iPhone 12 Pro Max, how was the new iPhone 13?

I am not planning to replace my iPhone 12 Pro Max, how was the new iPhone 13?

I feel I'm rarity here while I'm still on iPhone 6S as I have not found any reason to update yet.

No that's fine, the 6S is still perfectly capable these days, especially if you did a battery swap. I would totally still rock one had I not stumbled into the XS Max I am currently using.

especially if you did a battery swap

My 8 is really struggling. it's quite slow a lot of the time even though it shows 87% battery capacity, iOS also says battery is "service" and warning me to replace it.

Interesting combination that... the X that I replaced just now gave me 81% capacity but still high power or whatever the equivalent english term is.

9 months on and my XR is (already) down to 93%. Lots of BT use though since earbuds are crap. I mainly charge wirelessly though, does that wear the battery more than wired? I’m just trying to save the chargeport from daily plugging/unplugging

93% on my SE 2020 as well, although that one is just 5 months old. I guess smaller batteries wear out faster, when it comes to percentages. Mostly charged overnight, though, as you need it to be fully charged in the morning, as the battery life on that thing utterly, utterly sucks.

91% on my XS Max which is about two years old now. though a lot of that use was as a corporate phone.