iPhone / iOS Thread

I’m at 95 % battery health on my 12 mini, which is soon one year old. I have charged it inductively almost all the time, mostly with MagSafe. Also, one charge to 85-90 % per day, so heavy-ish user.

To put something in here I've only really noticed once I held the phone in my hand: dear god the the camera bump on the 13 (pro) is huge... it's not really annoying in any way to me or anything, it's just really noticeable if you pay attention to it (and realize it's also more than half the width of the phone):

Attachments

• 1634123709191.png
    1634123709191.png
    125.6 KB · Views: 110
Interesting combination that... the X that I replaced just now gave me 81% capacity but still high power or whatever the equivalent english term is.

I agree, but where we are.

F8114C37-5059-404D-B57F-10B7FC239F0A.jpeg

Is that already considered unwanted advertising, I wonder? :D

I am curious about that. I had the screen replaced in September after chucking it into the grass after a rough morning with a customer. So after booking time at an apple store, maybe it threw something up like that?

I mainly charge wirelessly though, does that wear the battery more than wired? I’m just trying to save the chargeport from daily plugging/unplugging

The Lightning port is very durable, you have nothing to worry about.

I charge wirelessly on my nightstand because I like just hovering the phone over the magsafe puck until it grabs with a clonk. Way nicer than a normal Qi charger.

That's a valid reason. It brightens your day slightly. :) I charge wirelessly on my nightstand because I have an upright charger stand, so I can watch a video in bed when my better half's sleeping. ?

Company phone is up for renewal, got an email a few days ago. Coincidentally the iPhone 13s have been added to the available list.

So of course I ordered the Pro, despite the *slightly* higher out-of-pocket co-pay. Zoom lens, LIDAR and 120Hz screen are too good to pass up, especially after I went for the "base" 11 last time instead of the Pro and was frankly a bit disappointed. Base 128GB version will do though - current 11 also has 128, and I only use like 40, so that saves a bit of cost.

6-10 weeks expected delivery time, settling in for the wait...

I spend a lot of my day, on and off work, with the phone in my hand so to me a premium phone is a no-brainer if the budget allows for it.

Really happy with my 12 Pro still.

A work colleague just ordered a 13 Pro Max, estimated 4-6 weeks which isn't bad. Very happy with my 12 Pro Max especially now I'm finally exploring my options with MagSafe, need a good MagSafe mount/charger actually but the air vent mounted ones seem stupid. Why would you block the air flow and potentially have hot air blowing at the phone constantly?

A work colleague just ordered a 13 Pro Max, estimated 4-6 weeks which isn't bad. Very happy with my 12 Pro Max especially now I'm finally exploring my options with MagSafe, need a good MagSafe mount/charger actually but the air vent mounted ones seem stupid. Why would you block the air flow and potentially have hot air blowing at the phone constantly?

It feels like the entire car mount market is catering towards people unable or unwilling to fit a proper car mount to their dashboard. It's all suction cups, cup holder things and vent mounts that fall off when you hit a bump.

https://brodit.se/brodit.html?locale=en&pn=home is what you want.

Typing this on a shiny new 13 Pro, that was supposed to arrive in 6-10 weeks, but only took a bit over one week since ordering. It’s completely awesome! Just a tiny bit smaller than the 11, size is great, and damn the ProMotion screen is amazingly smooth. I didn’t think it’d make this much difference, but it does. All doubts about the higher co-pay vs the „base“ 13 are straight out the window.

Nice - what color? The grey is a bit boring, I’ll admit, but I was too chicken to go for the blue… :|

Nice - what color? The grey is a bit boring, I’ll admit, but I was too chicken to go for the blue… :|
When I got my 12 Pro Max I fancied the blue, I knew I would be covering it with a case anyway. My Moment Magsafe case is blue. :neutral:

Really nice case, by the way.

Same, I was boring. If the blue was darker I'd've gone for it probably. But it will have a case anyway, this is one of those phones that actively try to slip from your hand constantly, and the camera bump is stupidly huge - can go with a color there.

the text-recognition feature* came in really handy today... some stupid supplier doesn't send key-material for their lorawan devices in a digital format, but rather prints those out on individual little stickers that they then package with the devices. utter nightmare, luckily I only had like 10 of them or sht. text recognition was able to read the bloody things even through the slightly opaque anti static bag, so i could just copy paste them over rather than having to manually type in the damn things.

*it seems to be only available on A15 devices? anyway, same deal as with QR code recognition really - it'll find a text, put a yellow boxy thing around it and allow you to select and copy whatever you need of the text it was able to read.

this is one of those phones that actively try to slip from your hand constantly, and the camera bump is stupidly huge
huh... weird how perceptions are different, I have zero slippage worries myself. also yes, the bump is insane. still, I hate having a case on my phone, so... NO!

Last edited:
I'm pretty peculiar with my phone cases. Leather gives the perfect combination of grip and slippage (so it slips easily in and out of pockets) and it needs to be made by Apple because everything else I've tried is shit. This is why I disliked my XR. There were no Apple leather cases available for it, only the silly clear one.

And no, I can't imagine using my 12 Pro commando. Way too slippery. I know I'll get used to it (I did with my 6+ back in the day) but I still like leather. It's too bad because it's a very nice piece of design that nobody ever gets to see because it's covered by a case all the time.

I'm pretty peculiar with my phone cases. Leather gives the perfect combination of grip and slippage (so it slips easily in and out of pockets) and it needs to be made by Apple because everything else I've tried is shit. This is why I disliked my XR. There were no Apple leather cases available for it, only the silly clear one.

And no, I can't imagine using my 12 Pro commando. Way too slippery. I know I'll get used to it (I did with my 6+ back in the day) but I still like leather. It's too bad because it's a very nice piece of design that nobody ever gets to see because it's covered by a case all the time.
You could use the leather case from the iPhone 11 on the XR... ;)

I used a cheap thin case on the 11, and while it did the job, it really wasn't very good.

Just got my Spigen Mag Armor for the 13P. It's really good - no leather, but high-quality TPU, just enough thickness to protect in a fall and cover both the camera bump and display edges, and very grippy and comfy in hand. Only downside is, it was only available in black when I ordered... may get some color variant later down the line to not be quite as boring :)

Also damn, I just can't get over how awesome the ProMotion screen is. It may actually become a very 1st world problem here :D the Macbook will also have one when it arrives some time in the next month, and if it's anywhere near as good, I may just be forced to upgrade my desktop monitors to 120/144Hz as well. Never thought the difference would be this noticeable in normal day-to-day app usage.