The "Things that annoy me" thread

How much is that in percent? Because from what I've read, the charge point reads what it pumped out, while the car reports what went into the batteries. Losses in between may occur.
Expanding on this:
up until last year there was no certified DC meter anywhere to be found - because it simply wasn't needed (you can still measure DC energy fairly easily, but not necessarily correctly...). those were only developed and certified to conform to german EICHRECHT (metering law) requirements for DC charging stations (wohoo), and while the market for charging is growing rapidly, in the grand scheme of things this is still very much a niche case, so those meters are super expensive, in contrast to AC meters, as they're used on every level of the AC electricity grid. the metering law would not allow the losses inside the AC/DC conversion and the charger to be calculated against the customer when measuring the AC-energy going into the charger (which was mostly done up to this point, i.e. the customer would pay for all conversion losses).
I would very much expect, if for cost reasons alone, for most/all DC chargers outside of germany (and maybe austria) to still measure AC energy and bill based on that. in germany, an exemption that was granted for a certain grace period allowed AC measurement, but required a 20% (!) deduction in the amount billed to the customer.
The losses on the way to the battery are also a factor, of course, but to be fair to the CPO, why should they not be billed? The CPO bills whatever energy leaves their station (plus maybe 5m of cable, which is not too bad tbh) - everything behind that depends on the customers car and behavior (e.g. cold-ass battery will just dump huge amounts of energy into heating that thing).

to be fair: this very much also happens for me when I charge at a tesla supercharger. the amount billed (and counted up during the charge) is always higher by a considerable margin from the energy delivered as shown in the car multiplied by the charging tariff.

From what I hear this is a normal UK experience for nonTesla chargers. I have had one charger not work for me in nearly 4 years, all the others just work effortlessly.

Also, define ‘slow’. Depending on temperature and state of charge it may be the car limiting the speed, not the charger
Last week I started charging at 47%, 62kW and dropping. This week I started at 57% and it began charging at 64kW. I'll accept that these may have been the car. The two instances before that where I could only get 25kW from another BP charger, however...

According the Teslamate I put 22kWh into the battery last night, the charger said that was 26kWh. That's about 18% higher, at a cost of £0.42/0.49 EUR per kWh. I know that there are losses but I didn't expect them to be quite that bad. TeslaMate has two numbers for charging, one kWh added and one used. In all situations where I've previously fast charged the 'used' number is a little higher and the efficiency is calculated, most cases it's 98% or 99%. The numbers are the same for this charge but going by their numbers it would be 84%, which is very low.

I think it's the price I'm most insulted by and the fact that I don't have a choice.

Last edited:
According the Teslamate I put 22kWh into the battery last night, the charger said that was 26kWh. That's about 18% higher, ...
I'd suspect you were being billed AC energy entering the charging station in that case (and looking your added vs. used numbers)... those 20% deduction our regulation would've enforced in this case would've nicely covered it almost exactly here.

I think it's the price I'm most insulted by and the fact that I don't have a choice.
As you should be, really... tbh over here, 49ct for a 150+ kW HPC would actually be reasonable (and probably something no CPO would make any money on), but only if the damn thing were to actually deliver as promised. Stupidly, german EMPs seem to only distinguish between AC and DC - so even if you land at a 20 kW DC station, you'll still get shit prices. Ugh...
Second half of that might be the damn issue here: if there's no choice, why should the operators give a crap. If there's no competition, they can get away with chargers that don't work, don't work as advertised, or just generally offer a crap experience :|

All of the reasons why I'm just finished with EVs for now, until I can reliably charge at home.

All of the reasons why I'm just finished with EVs for now, until I can reliably charge at home.

Until we can get out of this mobile phone equivilant of "micro USB, Lightening, USB-C" bullshit, I don't see it making sense. Imagine driving an ICE car and finding out the fuel station filler won't work because it's a Shell fuel station who uses difference filler nozzles than BP.

Until we can get out of this mobile phone equivilant of "micro USB, Lightening, USB-C" bullshit, I don't see it making sense. Imagine driving an ICE car and finding out the fuel station filler won't work because it's a Shell fuel station who uses difference filler nozzles than BP.
That, at least in Europe, is very much not a reality anymore :|

edit: which, I will admit, sucks for everyone who has a chademo car :p

That, at least in Europe, is very much not a reality anymore :|

edit: which, I will admit, sucks for everyone who has a chademo car :p
FREE MARKET, BABY!

ICE drivers are also spoiled when it comes to pricing. Yes, fuel can be “expensive” in one part of town and “cheap” in another. The difference is a couple euros per tank at most. You can fill up wherever you want without worrying about getting shafted. EV charging, however…

0,49€/kwh is dirt cheap for fast chargers, especially 150kw+.

Even slow ish 50kw chargers are 0.50-0.60€/kwh here. I don’t care because I don’t take long trips very often so this happens maybe twice a year so the costs outweigh the convenience. But getting a fast and reliable home charger was for me a requisite for getting an EV….

Also also, your battery needs to preheat in order to get max temperature for optimal charging. I think it does this when navigating to a supercharger but not to a non tesla charger. I myself have never seen more than 110 kw on any tesla ( and that was supercharging) while theoretically you should be able to get 250 kw (very briefly) and 180 kw sustained from 10 to 40% battery

I think it does this when navigating to a supercharger but not to a non tesla charger. I myself have never seen more than 110 kw on any tesla ( and that was supercharging) while theoretically you should be able to get 250 kw (very briefly) and 180 kw sustained from 10 to 40% battery
Shortly after we got 3rd party chargers in the nav they also enabled preconditioning for those, I’m quite sure (but have never personally tried tbh).
Also yes 250 kW is real. I’ve seen 244 peak myself, so it’s not just a myth or YouTube specialty ?

I've had consistent 120kW up to 50% a couple of times, when the superchargers were practically empty. One of those continued to charge at 79kW while at 70% SOC.

That is entirely possible but also dependant on so many factors such as SoC, outside temperature, battery temperature etc that it’s impossible to predict a charge speed reliably

That is entirely possible but also dependant on so many factors such as SoC, outside temperature, battery temperature etc that it’s impossible to predict a charge speed reliably
Exactly - I only get really nice charging speeds if it's either warm/summer or I've been driving for more than at least an hour (or two if around freezing). And even then, I never really expect them, so I'm always pleasantly surprised :D top tip!

Things that annoy me: work is a rather large place (municipal utility), so depending on department / company (multiple) we have assigned parking lots. Mine has a construction site in front of it at the moment that slowly moves along the street. And while facility management have been very good about communicating things, posting and actively informing people "you can drive in from only this direction until October 8th, from 11th please only drive in from the other direction", of course this has lead to utter chaos. Driving in from the new direction today, I could see quite a few people still coming in from the wrong/old direction, actually going through an active construction site and then getting confused when there was no clear way into their parking garage. Ffs. Stop annoying the construction people and let them do their job. Just read your damn internal e-mails for once!

So, imagine algebra is a car driving down the highway. For decades, it's been way way of out in front of me. Started school in August, and for the first few weeks of class, I felt good, and felt like I was understanding it better than I ever did in 90s high school. So I've basically caught up to the algebra car in my own car, and I've been driving alongside it for a few weeks.

Since about last week, I started noticing that the algebra car driver's been, like...futzing with something inside their car. I couldn't tell what it was, but I was keeping up with the car, so I didn't think there was anything weird going on. I also have no idea how long that's been going on, I just noticed it last week.

However, as of about last Thursday, it feels like that other car's driver just flipped a switch, a rocket stuck out the back of the car, they stomped on the gas, and disappeared over the horizon, going off an exit I just missed...and I have no idea where I am, or what they did to go so fast. And I've been driving along that other car for 9 weeks, and have no idea how far back I was not seeing what they were doing...

So I went back spent the weekend re-watching every recorded class, and then re-re-watched the last 2 weeks, re-read the book chapters...and I feel like I understand less than when I started. The handouts the teacher provided, that he keeps referencing, don't seem like they have the full info, but based on the questions asked in class by other classmates, they all seem like they are right alongside the algebra car, wherever they are.

But everything talked about in today's class (the next chapter in the book) felt like it was in another language.

I can book short 20 minute tutoring sessions, but I don't even know what questions to ask. I feel like my steering wheel got disconnected, but I don't know how far back that happened, and I just lost control, on a collision course with an invisible wall, and wasted my time with trying to go back to school.

Last edited:
I normally don't care much about makeup styles at all, outside of weird fake eyebrows, but I can't explain why this one bugs me so much...

This lipstick trend of going straight across the philtrim ridges/cupid's bow. It's one thing if you don't *have* this biological characteristic, but it's just weird to fake it.

I've not seen anyone do this in person, only photos/video.

wp7610811.jpg
36c0c1859126ec9b29e4a702f8e86b.jpg

Same woman:
vogue_bella-poarch-beauty-secrets.jpeg

Same woman, and you can see the dark lipstick in that divot.
wp7500266-bella-poarch-wallpapers-1200x900.png

Things that annoy me : coworker who will be doing my job soon asks me about my wage… turns out she already makes more than me despite having less experience, less responsabilities, and has worked at the company for 2 years compared to my 11.

So they can fuck right off…

The difference isn’t massive but why would you do this as a company?

FYI this is Belgium where wages are generally the biggest secret in the world.

The difference isn’t massive but why would you do this as a company?

FYI this is Belgium where wages are generally the biggest secret in the world.
Yeah this crap needs to gtfo and why I’m happy to be working under a very nice and cozy union contract. Everything is nice and predefined, shit like that shouldn’t ever happen (it still does because people are still paid according to their education not their actual job, this is Germany after all), and best of all: there’s never any uncomfortable wage discussion as experience bonuses and inflation compensation are taken care of centrally.

BLOODY COMMUNIST I know… :|

I finally got a car new enough to have CarPlay. Waze in the infotainment screen! Awesome.

Too bad I learned there's a long-standing Waze bug that messes with the audio in various ways. Any audio prompt from Waze will pause Spotify, forcing me to manually hit Play again. What also happens is that it messes with the car stereo, making the volume knob and steering wheel controls adjust the volume of the voice prompts instead of the music. This happens even with Waze audio alerts set to OFF. The only way to get out of this seems to be to turn the car off and on again.... or to unplug the phone and plug it back in again, I'd imagine. Haven't actually tried the latter.

What the fuck, Waze? Google and Apple Maps handles this fine. The music source (Spotify etc) ducks to make way for the navigation voice and normal service is restored after the voice is done talking.