Bicycles!

to crack 10tkm of cycling in 2021.
well... I just passed my rather arbitrarily set (I basically went 100km/week sounds good - minus 2 weeks for whatever, this year: corona) goal for this year of half that :mouse:
1636702458531.png

Quite alright, I feel, for 99.5% (or thereabouts) of purely excercise riding. Next year I'll do the office trip at least once (60km one way)...
Still: 700 km ahead you say? so higher goal next year yeeeees!

Oof. It's been a while since I've ridden my bike around. I stole a paddock bike for laughsies at Lemons last weekend, only to have a sore butt the next day.

Practice makes.......less butthurt, I think.

I have joined the dark side...

IMG_20211203_132541307_HDR.jpg

I'm afraid to tell you, but you have been ... framed... ?

I'm going to my friend's today to have him help me tune it correctly - so far it seems a lot like the Jeep. Slow and floaty.

And underpowered.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a cycling multitool/kit for trailside repairs and adjustments? Looking around online it's hard to tell what's good and what's junk.

I know I also need a spare tube, anything else I should be sure to take?

Can anyone recommend a cycling multitool/kit for trailside repairs and adjustments? Looking around online it's hard to tell what's good and what's junk.

I know I also need a spare tube, anything else I should be sure to take?

Preparation H? lol

An inflator. Pumps are for chumps.
Looking at the size of you guys tires there might be some truth to this ? I carry a mini pump, but then again my tires are skinny 25mm things.

I’ll add: depending on your tires, it may be smart to carry tire levers as well. Also some emergency cash.

There’s my kit here (see attachment. the tool is a specialized EMT12).
Anyone here ride with an emergency kit? Pictured below is mine (minus a quick link)… I feel like this kinda thing is also governed by the umbrella law: if you have it with you, you won’t need it. Knock on wood, throw some salt etc…

View attachment 3561225

Last edited:
Reactions: lip
Fat bike tires need to have the PSI adjusted as snow conditions change, so an inflator isn't going to work for that. Plus, the tires are run around 5 psi for flotation.

Cash won't help, since a long fat bike ride may be about 5 miles and it loops back to the car. There are no bike shops in the woods.

Well just to be clear, all of what I’m carrying really is emergency kit. I won’t reach 6 bar with my tiny pump. I won’t ever fix my chain with that tiny ass tool. Same for the cash. The only reason it’s there is to somehow get me home. If that means running low pressure or not having any gears anymore or having to take a cab. That’s all it is. It’s not there to make my trip more enjoyable (re: correct tire pressure) or anything. If your rides are that short, you might just skip the emergency kit and just walk out to the car - my 2cts.

Oh - not only did I cycle 10tkm this year, I just thought this figure should be roughly the amount I put on the Canyon Grail. Indeed, according to my cycling computer/satnav I did 10071 km on that bike which I received on May 29th 2020. Since I rode 75 km today I did break 10tkm on that bike today.

No more mud butt!
also no more less mud on that fire paintjob!
good name that.

I christened my bike Rackham the Red. Because it's red, duh. Also because strava wants some sort of moniker. The similarity is uncanny, isn't it? :hammer:
1642578912348.png
1642579472328.png

Since I rode 75 km today I did break 10tkm on that bike today.
Good shit! I'd love to know the actual mileage of my bike tbh... but I've simply had it for too long and not tracked the first 4 years of its life at all. Only really got into that over the last 2.5 years or so. Got it in Summer of 2015 - already 6.5 years :eek: Strava has some 8.500 km on the bike atm - so in total I should be somewhere around 12-14k I reckon. 2015-2019 I really didn't ride much.
That really should be more than enough excuse to get a fancy new bike, right? Which is frankly impossible atm :| Also because I'm an idiot who wants useless junk that just looks good (like an aero cockpit w/ at least partly-integrated cabling) or costs an arm and a leg (like electronic shifting) but isn't willing to spend crazy (that really depends, right?) amounts of money.

Last edited:
A while back, I asked about fancy bike computers.

After much consideration, the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt is my current favourite, mostly by virtue of costing €100 less than the Hammerhead Karoo. According to their support department, the device supports having multiple "bike profiles". Unfortunately, the support person was unable to understand my question if this means that each bike profile holds its own statistic (odometer mainly).
@altoid, @eizbaer - do you know anything here? I know back then you both didn't know...

I'm almost willing to try it out and send back if not suitable, but I haven't given up hope to find an answer before I buy...