Random Thoughts....

This is when I went on a killing spree at a rental property where someone had left fruit in garbage. Apple cider vinegar and a couple drops of dishwashing liquid(I'll try the baking soda next time). Also, wash your produce very well and/or keep it in the fridge; the fruit flies show up because they lay eggs on your produce, you take them home, then the eggs hatch.

fruit.jpg

Last edited:
The drop of soap is key, they'll get attracted by the apple vinegar (honey sorta works too and doesn't stink as much) but then drown because of the lower surface tension.

The drop of soap is key, they'll get attracted by the apple vinegar (honey sorta works too and doesn't stink as much) but then drown because of the lower surface tension.
Dish soap also has degreaser and since bugs have an exoskeleton which have a moisture layer to stay flexible, the degreaser dries that out which allows excess water to come out and kill the bug. I guess by dehydration.

It always makes me laugh when I see a company or product name like this.
I bet it's a shit keyboard... 😐

I'll see myself out.

Edit: I see it uses 'brown' switches too, that's the cherry on the turd. :LOL:

Last edited:
Oh really Vernon why pretend we both know what it is you're talking about you want me to have an abortion!
Look, I try to do that scene with other people and we never make it past here without corpsing. Hell, it's hard to get past "Listen Betty, don't start up with your white zone shit again."

I should clean up the mess that is my desk and sort all the receipts, bills and other letters away more often than once or twice a year.
No, I didn't forget to pay a bill.

I really really like that all my bills are sent to my bank for quick approval via their excellent and very solid app. Recurring bills like my ISP get approved automatically as long as it isn't over an amount specified by me.

Paper bills, wtf's that?

On a related financial note:

I often buy things for other people and get reimbursed for it. There's been a lot of that this month. Putting these purchases on a credit card for the time being and getting reimbursed via bank transfer makes your bank balance look nice. You use up that money to buy groceries etc and then the credit card bill comes. :ROFLMAO:

On a related financial note:

I often buy things for other people and get reimbursed for it. There's been a lot of that this month. Putting these purchases on a credit card for the time being and getting reimbursed via bank transfer makes your bank balance look nice. You use up that money to buy groceries etc and then the credit card bill comes. :ROFLMAO:
I hope you have a cashback card! I have an Amazon points card rather than straight cashback, I made a payment for over half the price of my new camera on that so I'll be getting a decent voucher when the statement comes!

I really really like that all my bills are sent to my bank for quick approval via their excellent and very solid app. Recurring bills like my ISP get approved automatically as long as it isn't over an amount specified by me.

Paper bills, wtf's that?

Wait, they CHECK your account before sending bill payment?! I want that.

I should clean up the mess that is my desk and sort all the receipts, bills and other letters away more often than once or twice a year.
No, I didn't forget to pay a bill.

1658468230709.png

My desk frequently ends up looking like an explosion after a couple of months. Mercifully, MacOS now has this thing in preview where you can just scan stuff by taking a picture of it. Now I just need to figure out how to file it.

I'm thinking a very small, extremely power efficient server. but I'm not sure about the best way to go about that and I have a very small power envelope (not actually limited by power, but by the location where I will put the server. In my un A/C'd house, which is also uninsulated, in Honduras, In the summer).

Last edited:
I'm thinking a very small, extremely power efficient server. but I'm not sure about the best way to go about that and I have a very small power envelope (not actually limited by power, but by the location where I will put the server. In my un A/C'd house, which is also uninsulated, in Honduras, In the summer).
Maybe best for the tech random thoughts but what kind of storage capacity are you thinking of? If money is no object, stuff like the Radxa Taco exists and would be extremely efficient at the expense of raw power. If you're just storing small files and don't care about speed then this will be fine.

Alternatively a Pi or Intel NUC with desktop USB drives could work, only the ones with a full size hard drive and external power though. I don't recommend portable external hard drives because the USB controller is often integrated on the hard drive controller board and that's the weakest point, if it dies your data is unrecoverable without professional help. With a desktop drive you just take the disk out and connect it up.

Cheapest would probably be an old HP Microserver with internal disks or a small form factor Dell PC with the USB drives.

Edit: I rarely get anything through the post/mail unless it has a card attached to it. Companies like to send me reminders for insurance but those get shredded as do car tax reminders once I've paid.

Last edited:
Wait, they CHECK your account before sending bill payment?! I want that.

My ISP bills me electronically instead of sending a silly piece of paper through the mail. I've configured my bank to just approve it without bugging me unless it goes over a certain amount, ie my monthly internet bill +1€.

My ISP bills me electronically instead of sending a silly piece of paper through the mail. I've configured my bank to just approve it without bugging me unless it goes over a certain amount, ie my monthly internet bill +1€.

So you can limit the amount of a recurring direct debit? Neat!

That, too. I forgot to mention it, but it does improve the likelihood of the vinegar + CO2 trap working.

So you can limit the amount of a recurring direct debit? Neat!
It's not technically speaking direct debit since it's invoices being sent and then paid via bank transfer, technically speaking.

It's not technically speaking direct debit since it's invoices being sent and then paid via bank transfer, technically speaking.

Yes, this. It's like a paper invoice except there's no paper involved, it just comes straight into your bank.

edit: in related news, I just paid an invoice that arrived by mail today. It was dated the 15th of july, due today, the same day the post office decided to deliver it. Good thing I didn't wait a day or two until I decided to have an office day and open the mail etc.