The Apple Silicon discussion and experience thread

I took a look at the new MacBook Air at a store yesterday, and I have to say damn its nice. However, it is expensive, so like the previous generation, give it a couple of update cycles, and it will be down to the $999 starting price that the M1 MBA is currently at. Besides the price I think that having both of the USB-C ports are on the same side is unpractical, I was hoping for them to be on opposite sides.

Except, that's just what Apple does sometimes.

1658073198950.png

iPad with a keyboard?

I met my sister for lunch near a mall and we wandered through the apple store for shiggles. I don't know what it was, but I wanted to tap a macbook screen like a tablet or phone. I have an HP x360 laptop to which has a touchscreen, so maybe that's why. Mainly because of simple things like a warning message, or to close a window, I would tap the button on my laptop, or pinch and spread apart my fingers for zooming. I guess my habits for a laptop have changed these days. My only niggle would be the need to plug in a phone or other type of a device to offload photos or use an SD card. That's all that would be holding me back honestly.

I mostly keep fawning over macs because I want to be able to text and deal with calls through my computer instead of a device like my phone.

I mostly keep fawning over macs because I want to be able to text and deal with calls through my computer instead of a device like my phone.

Samsung Galaxy Link to Windows

Maybe apple will catch up to this feature in 5-8 years or like widgets 20?

oh, they already have that feature. It's just that I don't like the idea of not being able to replace a dead storage drive or upgrade memory. I've done both to my HP x360.

... the Mac already does calling and texting via your iPhone, and have done so for many years. And the Mac had widgets before iOS or Android even existed.

Phone calls on other devices is the first thing I turn off. I don't need all my devices to ring when a call comes in.

... the Mac already does calling and texting via your iPhone, and have done so for many years. And the Mac had widgets before iOS or Android even existed.

Phone calls on other devices is the first thing I turn off. I don't need all my devices to ring when a call comes in.

Iphones only got widgets ios 12.

They can't make calls on his computer. With Samsung you don't need a Samsung computer. It's why Verizon sells a corporate product called OneTalk. Maybe I'm wrong, show me the interface for taking or making calls in Linux or Windows or Android since you don't need a Mac.

I never said you didn't need a mac, but since you're in a Mac thread I blindly assumed you have one.

I never said you didn't need a mac, but since you're in a Mac thread I blindly assumed you have one.

I do but we arent talking about me we are talking about 93Flairside.

I own an iPhone too I just don't like Apple products

As long as my phone is on my home Wi-Fi, I can text and call from my PC, view and save photos from my phone, interect with apps in a screen share window, and other stuff i never use. Itxs a Note 9, and the windows program is called Phone Link. I dont believe it's Samsung exclusive...but it is Android only, I think.

As long as my phone is on my home Wi-Fi, I can text and call from my PC, view and save photos from my phone, interect with apps in a screen share window, and other stuff i never use. Itxs a Note 9, and the windows program is called Phone Link. I dont believe it's Samsung exclusive...but it is Android only, I think.
Yeah, for reasons I’ve been apprehensive with android phones.

There is a huge difference in performance between the base model of the new M2 MacBook Air, and the upgraded one:

View: https://youtu.be/Ixxn0SUdKAQ
TLDW: If all you do with it is to browse the web, type documents, read and type e-mails, watch YouTube, Netflix, etc. and you really want this, you have nothing to worry about, go for it. If you don't have to have the latest style, just go for the base M1 MacBook Air. However, if you regularly handle big files, transferring them between the Mac and external drives, if you do photo editing, occasional video editing, coding, some music production etc. and you need the most compact machine possible, you should definitely go for the RAM upgrade and the 512 GB or more storage. If you don't need it to be the most compact size, go for the base 14" MacBook Pro.

This may sound obvious, but it wasn't so with the M1 MacBook Air. Apple screwed that one up for themselves and made the base model too good. It made the M1 MacBook Pro pointless, and there was little more performance to gain from upgrading RAM and/or storage.

This may sound obvious, but it wasn't so with the M1 MacBook Air. Apple screwed that one up for themselves and made the base model too good. It made the M1 MacBook Pro pointless, and there was little more performance to gain from upgrading RAM and/or storage.

Even if the M1 Pro had been cheaper than the M1 Air, I would have paid the premium to not have to have the :censored:ing touch bar.

Here is a comparison between an M2 MacBook Air and Dell XPS 13 Plus, which is a top-of-the-line windows laptop that uses the latest and most powerful Alder Lake Intel chip made for thin and light laptops, both of them are specced with 16 GB ram and 512 GB SSDs:

View: https://youtu.be/Lf9sjtv3LYs

One of these is more expensive, have less ports (and no headphone jack) and omitted the physical F keys in favour of touch diarrhea. And it isn't the Apple product.

How the tides have turned. :ROFLMAO:

Intel used to be the best thing to happen to the Mac, but now Apple Silicon is. I do wonder what the discussions are like in the boardrooms at intel/dell/etc right now and what they’ve got planned.

Intel used to be the best thing to happen to the Mac, but now Apple Silicon is. I do wonder what the discussions are like in the boardrooms at intel/dell/etc right now and what they’ve got planned.
Well, I guess they're probably still panicking, as going the way of Apple Silicon is definitely the future for thin and light notebooks. Intel has managed to match Apple Silicon laptops in therms of performance, but at the cost of everything else, and turning it into a fan-noisy furnace, drawing three times to power to achieve that. Even now, almost two years down the line there is nothing else that can touch the M2, or the M1 for that matter, when it comes to the balance of performance and efficiency in a notebook.

They are probably glad that Apple Silicon isn't running Windows natively, like the Intel Macs used to do through Boot Camp, and that MacBooks, despite everything are kind of expensive, as the cheapest Apple Silicon MacBook starts at $999.

The desperation that is on display in Intel's infamous YouTube marketing videos says all you need to know about this.

I just read an advertorial by Intel about the newest thin and light PC generation. The ad mentions how they’re fast and still power efficient etc and how well the operating system scales the UI to work on smaller and high-res screens.

I don’t know what they’re talking about but none of that sounds like Intel/Windows to me. :p