The "Things that annoy me" thread

No mom, you do not have to freak out after accidentally calling my brother on FaceTime. And when he calls you back a few moments later, that's no reason either.
I DIDN'T PRESS ANY BUTTON IT DID IT ALL BY ITSELF!!!111
yeah... if I ever hear that again, you're on your own :|

The HBO Max app.

Aside from being unstable and buggy, it recently served me an infuriatingly annoying slap in the face. Two days ago I came home from a holiday on Cabo Verde. It was lovely. The flight down there from OSL to SID takes just over 7 hours, which is substantial. So I had made sure to load up my iPad mini with lots of downloaded content through the HBO Max app. This worked fine previously, but not this time. None of the downloaded content would actually play. That was infuriating.

I figured that the reason was that previously I had travelled on planes with onboard wifi, that albeit slow, are good enough for the HBO max app to reach some sort of contact with the home server to let me watch the content I had downloaded. I had banked on this to work, so it was seven effing hours boredom. Spotify and it's downloaded content worked though. When I came to the hotell and logged on the wifi there, I asked Google about this, and It turs out I had to go into the app settings and disable "download over wifi only" to be able to watch the stuff I had already downloaded.

This makes no sense... :wall:

I DIDN'T PRESS ANY BUTTON IT DID IT ALL BY ITSELF!!!111
yeah... if I ever hear that again, you're on your own :|

I didn’t get that one this time around, which must count as a little win. She figured she had fat-fingered the FaceTime “button” while copying the postcode of his home address from her iPad.

Apparently I sold something on eBay last night that I posted in June.

What I sold no longer exists because I wanted to sell some shit before I left the country.

The buyer already paid. Now how do I sound legit that I actually left the country and don’t have the item because eBay stopped giving me updates? I assumed at some point eBay quits relisting items…

I bought a UV led keychain (to charge the glowing inlays on the side of my guitar fretboard), and finally got the chance to try something I've always wanted to try...

I took it to a dollar store, and checked the sunglasses to see if they actually block UV. About 1/3 did not. Wearing these sunglasses, then, is actually WORSE for your eyes than NOT wearing them. Since they darken the light, your pupils widen to allow in more light...and that "more light" includes "more UV light" which isn't filtered out by the sunglasses.

I dint drive my car enough to keep the battery charged apparently, or too many short trips. The battery is dead again, and our other car is an EV and can't jump start mine. 🤦‍♂️

I dont own a trickle charger, nor any sort of jump starter device.
It turns out the battery itself was shot. It was replaced in May of 2020, and when AAA came by to give me a jump, he ran a short diagnostic on it with this nifty little device. He hooked it up to the battery while the car was idling with two alligator clips, and after about 3 minutes, it spit out a QR code. He scanned the code with his phone, and it pulled up a whole page of stats from the performance of the battery. It showed a 86% charge, but "Battery Health: 0%". Thankfully since it was only 2-1/2 years old, it was still under warranty.

Is this white foam on the top of the battery, under the bracket, some sort of cushion that's melted, or is that some sort of leak or corrosion? If the latter, could that have been caused by my lack of driving? Like, is a drained battery more likely to have this issue?

1669068508155.png

Corrosion. Just went through cleaning the same junk off of the BRZ's battery. Careful, it can be quite nasty to skin and the like.

Baking soda and water will neutralize the acid. I spread the soda over the nasty stuff and get the brush I am using wet. Of course, use some rubber gloves!

Looking for better apartments in my area and what’s frustrating is how every one I come across is “no pets.” I assume that means no kids as well? Kids are just genetically connected expensive pets.

Looking for better apartments in my area and what’s frustrating is how every one I come across is “no pets.” I assume that means no kids as well? Kids are just genetically connected expensive pets.

I prefer adult only hotels for that reason

It's your choice to have a dog complicate your life.
I assume that means no kids as well?
Making that official would be illegal, I presume. But landlords can choose their tenants, so they can simply prefer f. e. singles over parents without stating the reason.

It’s also one’s choice to complicate their lives and have kids. Both are deliberate decisions.

It’s also one’s choice to complicate their lives and have kids. Both are deliberate decisions.
kids are deemed "beneficial to society", though, and are thus bestowed with certain advantages...

edit to clarify: and this is a good thing. in case that wasn't clear.

kids are deemed "beneficial to society", though, and are thus bestowed with certain advantages...

edit to clarify: and this is a good thing. in case that wasn't clear.

Have you met some people's kids?

😆

You know what dogs don't do? Stomp and scream, then hurt each other so there's crying, then stomp around some more.

In the Facebook marketplace listing for this ravioli roller, it included the description, "dowel for scale"... but didn't say what size the dowel was.

Screenshot_20221122-085126_Facebook.jpg

The instructor from the CAD course I'm currently doing one day per week makes these rather good instruction videos that go with every assignment we do in class, which is really handy when you are practicing at home and want to refresh what we saw in class. All those video's are 15-30min long. Last week at the end of the lesson he asked the class "Shall we stop a little earlier and you guys just try the next assignment at home using the instruction video?". We we're all expecting something similar to the other instruction video's so we all agreed.
Now I come to realise the video itself is 2h+ long and after those 2+hours I still need to do the actual assignment.
I try to practice as much as I can, but at this time with crazy times at work (suddenly they realised they promised a lot of customers things would get done by the end of the year without taking it in account throughout the year...) it's sometimes even hard to find time for my family and other responsibilities, where the F am I supposed to find 3h+ of spare time? It's not like watching an instruction video in 10 portions of 15min is really an option.
I don't mind instructors giving us homework, I'm just a little annoyed he didn't give us a heads up about the required time.

Dealing with any automated call center that makes you input the account number and then makea you repeat it when you talk to an actual person.

Now, let's get down to the actual company that is irksome today. It is my local power company. Ahh, yes, a utility company that refuses to accept the possibility that the computer is giving them incorrect information. This problem starts back in September when a neighbor moved and someone fat fingered a keyboard.

I didn't notice this at first, but in October I got 2 bills for September. I paid them and then in November I got a bill and that is when I caught it. The bill seemed about right as far as price, but it was to soon after the previous bill. So I went back over my previous bills and payments, and discovered the dual bills. So I called into the power co. and started the process of sorting out this mess.

That was almost 2 weeks ago. On the very first call, I told them that they were giving me what amounted to a second bill, and that it probably had something to do with my neighbor moving. On the sixth set of calls (I call them and they call back) they finally admitted that this is what is happening and will have to sort it out.

What really irks me, is when going over the bills and what was paid/ is due, nothing ever lined up. For instance, there was a bill for about $110. The old neighbor paid $60 on the bill, while I paid it all, and they couldn't see where that happened until I supplied them with copies of the check. But even with seeing the evidence, they would dispute the payment. This resulted in my latest bill being over $400. That is an insane amount, even with the refrigerator problem I recently had. I would have to run the heat and air conditioner at the same time to do that.

So after getting them to admit it was an extra bill being sent to the wrong address, it will still take them 2 or 3 weeks to sort this out because I insisted on an audit of the account to make sure I am not paying extra. So my billing is paused until then.

Bureaucracies are terrible.