Random Thoughts....

Drove to work today in a dry car, so apparently I DID close the sunroof! Success!!

I was hoping to see pictures of your wet seat. 😛

I was hoping to see pictures of your wet seat. 😛
...and for no reason at all I now got Susan Sarandon's voice in my head...

120867652_3163876913717351_7251606707263933503_o.jpg

my 1960s precursor, thinking long and hard about throwing the 1960s version of a Bird scooter into the lake

Apparently I work for Dunder Mifflin, today they opened up a vacancy for a job that would translate to "assistent regional manager", but the job itself would be more like "assistent to the regional manager". 🤣

the job itself would be more like "assistent to the regional manager". 🤣
So you mean like a PA/secretary? I've seen job titles padded before but that's pretty misleading. I guess the wages offered will be pretty awful.

So you mean like a PA/secretary? I've seen job titles padded before but that's pretty misleading. I guess the wages offered will be pretty awful.
Most of us know it is actually a tailormade function for an asskisser that lacks the experience and knowhow for an actual promotion. They allready gave him the job, but higher management said everyone should get the opportunity to apply for that job. Knowing very well that the few of us with more experience don't even want that job + the fact that the people who will decide who will be getting the job are the same people that gave it to him in the first place there is only one person who will end up getting that job.

And I know for sure he will be going full Dwight Schrute in both constantly and randomly reminding people of his title and thinking that said title gives him power.

And since I now know what they pay a project leader, I'm quite sure the wage will be terrible yeah.

Probably a good point to admit I've never watched The Office. :p

I love how lazy this Instagram ad is for this super huge, very heavy cleaver. It's a mother's day ad, but there's not one woman's arm in the whole video ad, and then it ends with "get him the gift he's secretly been wishing for"

Screenshot_20230510-203057_Instagram.jpg

Something, something.... patriarchy?:think:

(I'm joking, just in case that's not clear in text...)

Just released a starling from the loft. Cute little fucker, no idea how it got in. Today is weird.

Edit: I was looking at 997.2s and found an ad with two side images, I wanted to see if I could merge them in panorama software.

8c814f86-8286-4d9c-8532-115f858ac59c.jpg

The result wasn't what I expected

Even the software thinks that the engine is at the wrong end!
f5bb46a2-5247-4b7e-a6c4-65c1a719ffc3.jpg

Last edited:
I needed to find an 8ft folding round table, and stumbled upon this listing on Alibaba.

So, they offer volume discounts, like so many manufacturers, which makes sense. I think their volume tiers are a bit...optimistic, though.

The highest tier, to get the cheapest price, is ">=999999999 pieces". That means 1 billion tables.

Assuming each table can seat 12-13 people, that means to get the cheapest price, you have to buy enough tables so that every single living man, woman, and child on planet earth could sit at a table, and then half could decide to move to a different empty seat, without any seat being sat in twice.

I hope whoever that customer is, is also budgeting for 12-13 billion chairs. Though I bet there's a good volume discount for that.

It reminds me a bit of something I learned a few months ago. I'm sure I've posted it here already, but you know the USPS flat rate boxes? Well, they have a maximum weight limit. It's 70lbs. What makes that interesting, is that even if you had a solid billet of osmium, the heaviest naturally-occuring element, sized to fit into the smallest flat-rate box, you'd only be able to hit about 61.5lbs. That means it's physically impossible to exceed the weight limit of the Small USPS flat rate box (on earth, at normal atmospheric pressure). So if you had a billet of $360,000 worth of osmium to ship, you could ship it anywhere in the us, priority, for $10.20.

Last edited:
It reminds me a bit of something I learned a few months ago. I'm sure I've posted it here already, but you know the USPS flat rate boxes? Well, they have a maximum weight limit. It's 70lbs. What makes that interesting, is that even if you had a solid billet of osmium, the heaviest naturally-occuring element, sized to fit into the smallest flat-rate box, you'd only be able to hit about 61.5lbs. That means it's physically impossible to exceed the weight limit of the Small USPS flat rate box (on earth, at normal atmospheric pressure). So if you had a billet of $360,000 worth of osmium to ship, you could ship it anywhere in the us, priority, for $10.20.
Would USPS insure osmium?

Would USPS insure osmium?
From what i can tell, it's not considered a hazardous substance (not radioactive or liquid at room temperature, for example) so shipping shouldn't be an issue. With Priority, you get the first $100 is included, but the max value you can buy for a shipment is $5000. Then you can get another $10k from Shipsurance. So then you'd be approximately 4% of the total of the cost of the osmium. 😅

Apparently, to get enough osmium to fill this box, you'd have to basically buy about 20% of an entire year's worth of US osmium imports.

A pretty interesting element. The "applications" section of the Wikipedia page is interesting...from early LP players, lightbulbs, and fountain pens, to electron microscopy and space-based telescope mirrors.

1280px-Osmium_cluster.jpg

Last edited: