Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I like the new Opel Astra, it's a really sharp design and if I was in the market for a new small car it would be on my shortlist for usre.

But the Grandland. A frumpy looking crossover designed during the GM era but using PSA technology, before Stellantis was a thing. They recently facelifted it and glued the new Stellantis-era corporate face on it, and just used cheap plastic to fill in the blanks because they couldn't be bothered to change the actual body parts. I hate it. And them trying to market a powerful PHEV "GSe" version as "Autobahn proof" with Koni shock absorbers just makes things worse.

Skärmavbild 2023-05-14 kl. 11.54.45.png

Note to self: if every manual and guide says to remove an engine 1. from below and not lift it out from above and 2. together with the gearbox in one piece, then don't be the idiot to believe the 1% who say it can be done both from above and with the gearbox still in place. 😂
Yes it is/was possible, but I think I'll stick to the workshop manual when removing the engine from the donor car and refitting it 😅.

Yeah, the *only* reason to take an engine out from the top is if you do not have the equipment to lift the car off the engine cradle.

I think it's a FC generation Mazda RX-7, but the dashboard is from some other Mazda.

It looks like you told an AI to redo an 80s wedge TVR in a 90s style.

The problem with the initiative is that it seems to be based on conclusions drawn from only one part of a car’s operating life: what comes out of the exhaust pipe. [...] greenhouse gas emissions during production of an electric car are 70% higher than when manufacturing a petrol one.

The very reason for such a strong push with such a short timeline is exactly because of greenhouse gases , which despite needing to produce more to make an EV, are (on average depending on electricity source...some places like Norway in as little as 8k) neutralized by 15-20k miles of driving (IHS Markit, 2021) and then every mile after that is the benefit.

Last edited:
The very reason for such a strong push with such a short timeline is exactly because of greenhouse gases , which despite needing to produce more to make an EV, are (on average depending on electricity source...some places like Norway in as little as 8k) neutralized by 15-20k miles of driving (IHS Markit, 2021) and then every mile after that is the benefit.

I think Polestar is the only manufacturer giving more exact figures for this comparison in their sustainability report (Volvo XC40 vs. Polestar 2).

https://www.polestar.com/us/sustainability/climate-neutrality/

Life cycle assessment 2021 (PDF)

I'm glad to see that the article hit every beat I'd hope a rebuttle would, with many cited sources.

I'm glad to see that the article hit every beat I'd hope a rebuttle would, with many cited sources.

I do understand Mr. bean‘s side. We’re still in the „electric cars are special“ and showing off the tech like they’re prototypes. I want just a normal car…

I do understand Mr. bean‘s side. We’re still in the „electric cars are special“ and showing off the tech like they’re prototypes. I want just a normal car…

I don't really know what's so special about an e-Up or an e-Golf that makes them "not normal cars".

What we think of as a normal car is a car designed around the greasy bits needed for piston power, though. The bits that go into an EV are different and those cars I mentioned above are probably not as good as they could be because of that. But they look "normal", that's for sure.

I don't really know what's so special about an e-Up or an e-Golf that makes them "not normal cars".

What we think of as a normal car is a car designed around the greasy bits needed for piston power, though. The bits that go into an EV are different and those cars I mentioned above are probably not as good as they could be because of that. But they look "normal", that's for sure.

The e-Golf is no longer made, instead the id.3 which is the "holy shit, we made an electric golf" levels of silliness. The e-Up is in a class of... 1 or 2? 500e and, oh the fucking Zoe. so 3 total little cars that are just cars. We need more of that.

My automatic tailgate refused to close the other day after I had thrown my jacket in there, it tried to but stopped after an inch or so. I immediately started cursing modern cars and wondered to myself how expensive this is going to be. Then I realized that the car key was in the jacket pocket. Took it out and suddenly the thing started cooperating again.

That feeling when your car is smarter than you.