Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: smaller wheels better ride? corolla 2015

  1. #1
    m102486's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2nd, 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    387
    Car(s)
    75' Ford Escort 1.6 Sport
    Rep Power
    25

    smaller wheels better ride? corolla 2015

    Hi folks,

    I have a 2015 red corolla with 16" x 6.5" rims 205/55r16 would changing to a 15"wheel provide a better ride? What rubber would be ideal? 195/65 or 205/65 or 215/60. Its my first time to change a tire size of a car, would the width also affect ride quality?

    Also do you guys think these wheels would look okay? I'm not really particular with looks but i don't want it to look like a total mismatch. Haha

    Btw these wheels are 15x6.5"

  2. #2
    Captain Volvo _HighVoltage_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 5th, 2006
    Posts
    9,849
    Car(s)
    1998 Volvo S70 T5M
    Rep Power
    202
    Taller sidewall=more comfortable ride. (not to be confused with better handling)

    For tire sizes:
    https://www.wheel-size.com/size/toyota/corolla/2015/
    ____________________________
    "It's the difference between watching great sex and having good sex." - Labcoatguy on the difference between an automatic and a manual gearbox.

  3. #3
    CraigB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14th, 2007
    Location
    SWMO
    Age
    36
    Posts
    10,667
    Car(s)
    2014 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & 2010 Nissan Altima
    Rep Power
    291
    A handy calculation for tire diameter:

    Example 205/55R16

    205x2=410
    410x55=22,550
    22,550/2540=8.878
    8.878+16=24.878

    So the overall diameter of your current tires is 24.878 inches. A 205/60R15 is 24.685, a 215/55R15 is 24.311 and a 215/60R15 is 25.157. Kind of a tossup then between 205/60 and 215/60. It would depend which would fit better on a 6.5" wide rim. For that I tend to use Tirerack.com to view tires in the size I'm interested in and see which one is closest to the "measured rim" in the specifications.

    The other thing to think of here? Will a 15" rim clear the brake caliper on your Corolla?
    ____________________________

  4. #4
    "bangle for president" bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14th, 2004
    Location
    belgium!!
    Age
    32
    Posts
    15,444
    Car(s)
    Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
    Rep Power
    192
    also, do they have the same ET value?
    if not they might hit the strut or be rubbing the wheelarch

  5. #5
    m102486's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2nd, 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    387
    Car(s)
    75' Ford Escort 1.6 Sport
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    A handy calculation for tire diameter:

    Example 205/55R16

    205x2=410
    410x55=22,550
    22,550/2540=8.878
    8.878+16=24.878

    So the overall diameter of your current tires is 24.878 inches. A 205/60R15 is 24.685, a 215/55R15 is 24.311 and a 215/60R15 is 25.157. Kind of a tossup then between 205/60 and 215/60. It would depend which would fit better on a 6.5" wide rim. For that I tend to use Tirerack.com to view tires in the size I'm interested in and see which one is closest to the "measured rim" in the specifications.

    The other thing to think of here? Will a 15" rim clear the brake caliper on your Corolla?

    I'm quite sure it will fit as they offer a 15" in other countries. I checked the website. I really want to fit 205/65 in a 15" wheel. but its 2.5% larger. is it true that it might create problems with the transmission or computer. does it mean the speed indicated would be off by 2.5%?

  6. #6
    CraigB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14th, 2007
    Location
    SWMO
    Age
    36
    Posts
    10,667
    Car(s)
    2014 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & 2010 Nissan Altima
    Rep Power
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    also, do they have the same ET value?
    if not they might hit the strut or be rubbing the wheelarch
    Good point, backspacing/offset needs to be close or you could run into issues.


    Quote Originally Posted by m102486 View Post
    I'm quite sure it will fit as they offer a 15" in other countries. I checked the website. I really want to fit 205/65 in a 15" wheel. but its 2.5% larger. is it true that it might create problems with the transmission or computer. does it mean the speed indicated would be off by 2.5%?
    This site says at a 65 mph reading on the speedometer you'll actually be going 66.6 mph.

    https://tiresize.com/speedometer-calibration/
    ____________________________

  7. #7
    "bangle for president" bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14th, 2004
    Location
    belgium!!
    Age
    32
    Posts
    15,444
    Car(s)
    Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
    Rep Power
    192
    And in that case your odo will also rise to fast
    For every 50 miles driven, about 51 will be added
    Great for devaluating your car

    Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    The Deported Spectre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 1st, 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Age
    40
    Posts
    34,290
    Car(s)
    87 XJ6 | 89 Bronco | 86 CB700SC | 02 919
    Rep Power
    783
    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    And in that case your odo will also rise to fast
    For every 50 miles driven, about 51 will be added
    Great for devaluating your car

    Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    Other way around - the odometer will read less miles than the car has actually done.
    ____________________________

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Even smaller FG mini meet
    By IceBone in forum FinalGear Meets
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: May 13th, 2008, 10:16 AM
  2. 2009 Toyota Corolla and Matrix debut at SEMA (suprise, the Corolla is still boring)
    By Elmo187 in forum Automotive News / Spy Shots / Concepts / Rumor Mill
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: November 3rd, 2007, 7:44 AM
  3. Big Brother Gets Smaller
    By zenkidori in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: February 13th, 2006, 7:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •