Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I'm just worried since its an old PSU. At least its an Antec though.

Last thing I want is my computer self-destructing...
If for some reason the PSU can't handle the load your PC either won't start up or will crash randomly when the power draw gets beyond what it can handle. It wouldn't destroy your PC, also considering its a brand it likely has decent protection that will kill the PSU w/o killing your board if things go wrong.

Had a nightmare 24 hours. Barely even slept. Basically, I decided to upgrade my win xp PC to win 7. I use the PC for monitoring 4 security cameras. Anyway, I went ahead and bought a new hard drive to put the OS on so that I didn't interfere with what was working (Although not too well). First problem, update media told me some files were missing. Noticed scratches on the disc (from microsoft). Went ahead and used an .exe and installed the OS. Yet for some reason after installing the system kept freezing. No errors, the screen just went static. Figured there must be some compatibility issue with either the hardware or software (for the cameras).

So I figured I would just use the system recovery disc for the PC and install XP. Unfortunately, I never got an option for where to install and it ended up wiping the older hard drive. Lost all the data etc....It sucked, but I thought forget it...and waited for it to install. Near the end (After some hours), it encountered an error...I think the recovery disc is faulty as well. Was left with 2 hard drives, and no OS on either. Basically I was fucked. Yes, the problem can be resolved...but the following day I am leaving for a couple of weeks overseas and wouldn't have the time to get it up and running and it had to be running before I left. Ended up going to costco and buying a computer and will return when I get back. The software for the camera, although not windows 7 compatible, is working. Thankfully. What I don't get is that it came with a DVI cable, yet the only port on the PC is for a VGA (had to use my own cable) and it wasn't wireless ready (which I had no idea when I purchased) so I also had to use my wireless PCI card from my other PC.

I never intended on messing with the older hard drive, otherwise I would have created a backup. Just had to vent this all out....I shouldn't undergo such tasks prior to leaving for a trip, too much can go wrong with little time to correct. New Recovery discs have been ordered now and I was able to get an ISO from the store I ordered Win 7 from to download.

Oh man, hearing of all of these computer issues makes me concerned. @_@ My laptop is about 3 years old now and all of the other models (made CTO instead of Pre-Config, Sony) seem to be having issues whereas mine hasn't.

Also, I like Firefox 4 as well. It looks nice, but the menu tab thing is a little strange. It reminds me of Office 2010, which is weird.

Had a nightmare 24 hours. Barely even slept. Basically, I decided to upgrade my win xp PC to win 7. I use the PC for monitoring 4 security cameras. Anyway, I went ahead and bought a new hard drive to put the OS on so that I didn't interfere with what was working (Although not too well). First problem, update media told me some files were missing. Noticed scratches on the disc (from microsoft). Went ahead and used an .exe and installed the OS. Yet for some reason after installing the system kept freezing. No errors, the screen just went static. Figured there must be some compatibility issue with either the hardware or software (for the cameras).

So I figured I would just use the system recovery disc for the PC and install XP. Unfortunately, I never got an option for where to install and it ended up wiping the older hard drive. Lost all the data etc....It sucked, but I thought forget it...and waited for it to install. Near the end (After some hours), it encountered an error...I think the recovery disc is faulty as well. Was left with 2 hard drives, and no OS on either. Basically I was fucked. Yes, the problem can be resolved...but the following day I am leaving for a couple of weeks overseas and wouldn't have the time to get it up and running and it had to be running before I left. Ended up going to costco and buying a computer and will return when I get back. The software for the camera, although not windows 7 compatible, is working. Thankfully. What I don't get is that it came with a DVI cable, yet the only port on the PC is for a VGA (had to use my own cable) and it wasn't wireless ready (which I had no idea when I purchased) so I also had to use my wireless PCI card from my other PC.

I never intended on messing with the older hard drive, otherwise I would have created a backup. Just had to vent this all out....I shouldn't undergo such tasks prior to leaving for a trip, too much can go wrong with little time to correct. New Recovery discs have been ordered now and I was able to get an ISO from the store I ordered Win 7 from to download.
Oh man that sux. Glad you managed to band-aid it at least. I tend to remove data drives from the system when messing with them just in case...
Oh man, hearing of all of these computer issues makes me concerned. @_@ My laptop is about 3 years old now and all of the other models (made CTO instead of Pre-Config, seem to be having issues whereas mine hasn't.
Way I see it if you want a quality laptop you got two choices. ThinkPad for Windows and MacBook for OS X, rest of the hardware on the market is hit or miss.

Business Dells seem to be good as well, and Viper loves his Vaio. I love ThinkPads though, except for the misplacement of the CTRL key.

So I ran Memtest again last night, and it reported no errors.

At this point, what I've figured out is that the video card is kaput and the HDD and RAM are not faulty.

Where do I go from here? Do motherboards or CPUs go bad? Are there any tests I could run for them?

I'd appreciate any input because I think I've finally gotten to the point of cutting my losses on this and looking into a new build.

And only T-series.
Far as I'm concerned there are no others :)
Business Dells seem to be good as well, and Viper loves his Vaio. I love ThinkPads though, except for the misplacement of the CTRL key.
Old Latitudes were pretty good new ones don't seem as sturdy. Viper's Vaio is new though, he only had it for like 2 months, I was talking brands with proven long term quality. Yes the CTRL key being in the wrong place is hella annoying.
Where do I go from here? Do motherboards or CPUs go bad? Are there any tests I could run for them?

I'd appreciate any input because I think I've finally gotten to the point of cutting my losses on this and looking into a new build.
Yes both can go bad, for CPU look at ultimate boot cd, I believe it has some burn in utilities (if CPU is faulty it will likely crash under burn in) motherboard is way harder to diagnose there are a million different things that could go wrong on it (simply due to size) check your capacitors see if they are blown (they will be "puffy" if they are).

Last edited:
I'm getting weird little clicking noises from my laptop. I've pretty much ruled out the cooling fans and it can't be the optical drive, so the only explanation would be the hard drive. However, I've got a little monitor application for its SMART status and that shows "drive OK". On top of that, the drive is protected by a motion sensor which, as I've accidentally tried several times, does work nicely.

Does anyone have an idea what else it could possibly be? I'm a bit uneasy about this because I made my latest backup on the 23rd March and forgot to make one the last time I had the opportunity; which I'll have again starting on Sunday. :idiot:

Well, a constant noise has to be caused by a moving part. That pretty much narrows it down to the fans or HDD. Unless it's coming from the speakers?

EDIT: Try a LiveCD/Flash drive/some OS that doesn't use the HDD and see if it still makes the noise. Also that reminds me, do you have a disc in the drive?

It's very intermittent, but I think it has occured with the speakers switched off as well.

edit: Yes, it has.

Last edited:
Oh man that sux. Glad you managed to band-aid it at least. I tend to remove data drives from the system when messing with them just in case...

Way I see it if you want a quality laptop you got two choices. ThinkPad for Windows and MacBook for OS X, rest of the hardware on the market is hit or miss.

Ahem you forgot another business laptop line :p

http://img856.imageshack.**/img856/4917/laude.png

Yes...I'm an admitted Latitude fanboy. 5 years with this D630 and nary an issue. Only problem was a bad memory module that cropped up. The ThinkPad's are good, and I know their reputation, but they never felt quite as solid as my D630. I'll admit that the pre redesign E-family (E6400/6410) was a bit lackluster to me. While solid they just felt a tad cheaper than the D-family systems. Luckily, it appear's that Dell's got their groove back with the new E6x20 line (shown in the image) as those systems have gotten pretty good user reviews so far on the forum I frequent. :)

The HP EliteBook's though. :drool: Those are stunning looking. :)

Last edited:
DealExtreme branded flash drive doesn't suck as a flash drive. It's not great, but speeds were acceptable and the all metal fancy-flippy construction is quite nice.

Eh, for $2 more I can buy one in a store or locally online and not wait 6 months for shipping.

Fuckit. I'm just going to sell my Dell Studio XPS 1340 (just got a free replacement screen and keyboard in preparation) and get a macbook.

:hmm:

Ahem you forgot another business laptop line :p

http://img856.imageshack.**/img856/4917/laude.png

Yes...I'm an admitted Latitude fanboy. 5 years with this D630 and nary an issue. Only problem was a bad memory module that cropped up. The ThinkPad's are good, and I know their reputation, but they never felt quite as solid as my D630. I'll admit that the pre redesign E-family (E6400/6410) was a bit lackluster to me. While solid they just felt a tad cheaper than the D-family systems. Luckily, it appear's that Dell's got their groove back with the new E6x20 line (shown in the image) as those systems have gotten pretty good user reviews so far on the forum I frequent. :)

The HP EliteBook's though. :drool: Those are stunning looking. :)

I didn't I mentioned all the good hardware :D

Like I said above older Latitudes were great, my dad has a new one from work, not impressed so far. Also problem with business lines is they rarely get good GPUs. That's actually one of the main things that pushed me over to Macs, shitload of power (GPU and CPU) and massive battery life.