Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I read that earlier and just have to ask what happened with due process? Does everything Home Land Security touch just become free on anything like due process or the scrutiny of the laws of the land?

And I found this a bit funny.

They sure don't make them like they used to. :)

You asked for it, so here you go :D

So, We need vocals Now. Say have you heard about Ri Khastly lately?

Last edited:
7066_28.jpg

7326_28.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2011/07/19/411835492_d804dc1106.jpg

Last edited:
Am I crazy for wanting a mid-late 90s Range Rover as a weekend use/occasional daily? I know all about the unreliability, but I'll have access to a shop and all the tools I'd ever need.

Avoid the P38- they're a nightmare. I know that Merc63 has one that's been fine, but he can attest that the older ones are better in the realm of reliability.

The '95 Classic, aka, the last of the old generation is the one to go for. Swap out air suspension for coils, seal all sunroofs (although this is primarily a Disco problem), check rear boot lid for rust, if something electronic doesn't work and isn't absolutely critical, don't bother fixing it :p

If the engine is the 3.5 Rover, it could/will have overheating problems, depending on whether or not you take it off road or operate it at higher temps. If the engine is shot, well, here's your solution.

I would love to have a classic Range Rover or a 5 speed V8 Disco like a certain member that I am very jealous of. Matt's shed is, well I can't say nice because it's a shed ( :p ), but SI-III LRs are great too, but needs moar powerrrrrr :jc: etc. But alas, running costs have kept me out of that game, but mainly lack of space and funds.

Last edited:
Check for rust as well especially up here (pull the carpets, it is fairly easy to do on these). Also look at the coolant, if there is a trace of oil in it run.

I'm currently pulled over from my commute home at sheetz hoping that the ticking sound I hear under the hood isn't too serious...

/buys more oil (I last checked/added 2 weeks ago...) and hopes that helps

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Hello? Is this the production office for Intervention? We've got a guy in an abusive relationship that he keeps pouring money into, but he is making no effort to get out of it. We need to get him help and a flamethrower, and fast.

I'm currently pulled over from my commute home at sheetz hoping that the ticking sound I hear under the hood isn't too serious...

Dude, seriously, you're going to enter a world of financial pain if you can't at least make some money off of it while it is still capable of movement.

Use that money to take an MSF course and get a cheap bike and gear. Done. Or get an AE101 Corolla with a five speed- that seems more rickhamilton-y.

I won?t even bother...

Depending on how much I can talk them down, I might end up buying this next week.

Give it about 3 months and it'll sound like this, only bigger cam with LS3 heads. :mrgreen:

God I could sleep to that lope.

We'll see though, don't really want to pay more than 17.

Last edited:
I have started doing research on selling my car. I was expecting and hoping to advertise it for around $1000.

I looked around the Denver area and found that a dealer is selling a 1993 Volvo 850 GLT (worst year possible, parts are a real bitch to find for that specific model), 192k miles and it is listed at $3,995.

Seriously???

If that car sells like this, mine should surely fetch at least $2,000!

{clicks off the stopwatch} Well, that didn't take long.

Normally I hate to say this, but - told you so. You are being an idiot. Post it for sale on Craigslist tonight before it strands you and you have to pay for a tow or impound fees.

Avoid the P38- they're a nightmare. I know that Merc63 has one that's been fine, but he can attest that the older ones are better in the realm of reliability.

The '95 Classic, aka, the last of the old generation is the one to go for. Swap out air suspension for coils, seal all sunroofs (although this is primarily a Disco problem), check rear boot lid for rust, if something electronic doesn't work and isn't absolutely critical, don't bother fixing it :p

If the engine is the 3.5 Rover, it could/will have overheating problems, depending on whether or not you take it off road or operate it at higher temps. If the engine is shot, well, here's your solution.

I would love to have a classic Range Rover or a 5 speed V8 Disco like a certain member that I am very jealous of. Matt's shed is, well I can't say nice because it's a shed ( :p ), but SI-III LRs are great too, but needs moar powerrrrrr :jc: etc. But alas, running costs have kept me out of that game, but mainly lack of space and funds.

The Rover V8 also has a distressing tendency to drop cylinder liners for no apparent reason. Budget for a rebuild if you get one or get an aftermarket warranty to cover it.

I have started doing research on selling my car. I was expecting and hoping to advertise it for around $1000.

I looked around the Denver area and found that a dealer is selling a 1993 Volvo 850 GLT (worst year possible, parts are a real bitch to find for that specific model), 192k miles and it is listed at $3,995.

Seriously???

If that car sells like this, mine should surely fetch at least $2,000!

Denver and the snow country areas out west have an overinflated opinion of Volvos so resale values are higher there.

Last edited:
Shouldn't be bad. The last time I heard that noise, it ended in disintegrating engine parts and a small fire. Nothing to worry about.

Shouldn't be bad. The last time I heard that noise, it ended in disintegrating engine parts and a small fire. Nothing to worry about.

True, that will result in the destruction of the car (as a car but the advent of Saturn-as-boulder) and thus the end of the problem.

A quick glance through his local CL shows these options:

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/ctd/2457468658.html
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/ctd/2461880733.html
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/2500964950.html
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/2493747341.html
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/2497672916.html

Any/all of these would be better than the Saturn. Yes, including the Geo Metro.

This is a good value but NOT a good choice for immediate use: http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/2470964940.html This car has 105K, which means it's time to change the spark plugs... which means you get to remove the engine.

Last edited:
1996 geo metro 2 door hatch back, 3 cylinder / 5 speed, 135,000 miles. but engine replaced with remanufactured one @ 131,000, transmission was rebiult at about 125000. new brakes, windshield, clutch. needs inspected and probably a gas tank($65 at autozone). has a few dents but it gets 40-45 miles per gallon. $700 obo have too many vehicles must go!

I've never understood this.

So you basically just put a new engine and a new transmission in a car. That probably cost you AT LEAST $2000. And now just 4k miles later you decide to sell it? Really?