Rowan Atkinson smashed his McLaren F1

Ravenlord

Car(s)
Austin-Healey, Ducati, Land Rover, Range Rover
Poor Rowan crashed his F1 into a tree and lamppost, then it caught fire. He was able to walk away, suffering an injured shoulder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-14414889

It was the F1 Hammond drove and Stig raced (against a Veyron) in Abu Dhabi.

tg-13x02-rowan-atkinsons-mclaren-f1-4801.jpg

Last edited:
Why? WHY?
Ugh, that's another jewel down the drain, not to mention one of my favorite persons almost going along it.

This F1 had previously had an accident with another car, so it's not the first time it's had a major front-end remodelling job.

This F1 had previously had an accident with another car, so it's not the first time it's had a major front-end remodelling job.

Except this time it caught fire, etc. :(

I'm still trying to picture how you can hit a tree and a lamp post......

also thats sad :( unfortunately F1s dont reproduce so the number of them is ever shrinking...

I hope McLaren are able to fix it somehow despite the fact it's caught fire. At least so we can have one McLaren still around in the world and also because Rowan is clearly attached to that car, would be a shame for it to be beyond repair.

That said at least he's driving it rather than having it sat somewhere in a collection never being used.

i went on the internet and i found this:

Rowan-Atkinson-crash.jpg

not sure if this is the actual crash, but the color of the car is right.

so long ,

e-type

I'm sure Mclaren will fix her right up.

With enough money I am sure McLaren can repair the car. Whenever an F1 is sold these days doesnt it go back to Mclaren for a full refresh anyway? I remember reading in Evo about an official, dedicated workshop where clients can have their F1s tweaked to bring it up to modern standards (e.g. Headlights) and how they can remanufacture parts to carry out repairs.

Most of the parts were hand-made/low-production anyway so its not like its a difficult job for a small manufacturer like mclaren to remanufacture parts, especially with the type of clients they have.

Makes me happy that there are people like Rowan who actually drive their cars.

Last edited:
Yes, at least it was being driven and not stuffed in some humidity controlled garage with a dust cover on it as some "investment".

Even Rowan Atkinson who has a competition licence I think can loose control - was it driver error or something mechanical breaking? Road looks greasy/wet IMHO.

The pic (if it is related) looks like he "just" slided off the road. And I don't really see much of a fire-damage. I'm quite sure he'll get the car fixed quite soon.

He must have gotten a bit cocky after getting top spot of the board....

Thankfully it doesn't look Ferrari-burnt. Hopefully it'll buff right out and be back on the road.

rowan-4804.jpg

McLaren pretty much restore anything.

"I was doing 110 through the village, but it's OK officer, i'm the fastest star... why you looking angry at me?"

He must have gotten a bit cocky after getting top spot of the board....

I was thinking the same thing, but I don't know what he's like well enough to say for certain.

^:shock: that looks a lot worse than you would say on first sight!

i found this on another forum
I'm fairly certain that of the 106 that were built in total, including GTRs, LMs and GTs, that we've lost a total of 6.

XP1 - first prototype, crashed and burned in the Namibian desert during development testing
XP2 - MIRA crash test car, later crushed
Chassis #004 or #005 - crashed by a mechanic in Brunei, salvaged for parts only according to sources
Chassis #010 - crashed by Bernd Pischetsrieder, then President of BMW and "written off"
Chassis #017 - crashed by Christopher Dawes on a rain slicked road in Essex. He and his two passengers perished in the ensuing fire frown
Chassis #033 - crashed by its German owner on the Autobahn. He chose not to have McLaren repair the car and instead ordered a new one.

There are a lot of others that have been crashed, even a few multiple times like this one, but as far as I know the rest have been repaired leaving us with 100 total F1s in existence today.

They've restored a few.

and if random people can turn this,

article-1383824-0BEA6B0000000578-983_634x386.jpg

article-1383824-0BEA694A00000578-89_634x386.jpg

Into this

article-1383824-0BEA652400000578-554_634x402.jpg

McLaren aren't gonna have a problem with his F1.

Yes, really. That car will be running again in a year, I promise you. It's like Ferrari, as long as you bring them at least one piece of your Enzo they rebuild it.

8-car-crashes-funny-crashes-extreme-crashes.jpg

As well, the worth of this car by far exceeds the repair costs.....

Last edited by a moderator: