Driver: The return of a great game?

Agreed. I want a city full of both great cars and shit boxes. I love getting into one of those rust buckets in GTA4 and cause havoc with it.

My favorite ride in GTA4 has been that Hummer H2 thing. It's not fast, but it's hilarious to plow into stopped cars at full speed and barely slow down.

I always like the Buick Grand National-esque car. Nice turbo sound. Fairly quick and fairly tough.

It's called the 'Sabre', any incarnation of Sabres have always been fun cars in GTA.

Vice city:
images

I love playing driver 3 in Nice because if you get into a hatchback, and drive on the beach you can jump the ramps connecting you from street to beach in such a way that you can get the car to do a wonderful barrel roll.

Plus I think its amazing you can take out a cop with a shotgun in one blow and then steal the police car. :D

It's called the 'Sabre', any incarnation of Sabres have always been fun cars in GTA.

Vice city:
images

Was actually referring to the Faction:

You should play Driver 1 and Driver 2. Both had boring cars. The 1st one you couldn't even get out of your car.

You make the bold assumption that I haven't played them :D

You make the bold assumption that I haven't played them :D

You made it sound like you haven't played them. :D

I hope the physics of this version are much better then Driver 3, I gave after three missions because I couldn't drive anything correctly because the cars keep oversteering way too much.

Yeah , it?s great :D

The driving is easy , but not NFS HP easy.

I think most people here have will be surprised about how good this game really is.

Fun ? It?s a fucking riot :D

In the must buy list for sure !

If you're buying it for PC, it isn't going to be for much longer...

Driver: San Francisco is putting on the brakes. Ubisoft has released word through the game's official Twitter feed that the mission-based racing game has been delayed until September 6, a week after its previously announced August 30 launch date. The delay is specific to North America, and the game's debut in other territories has not been affected.

No speeding tickets for this one.

In a follow-up tweet, the publisher explained the cause for the delay was not due to a need for extra development time. According to Ubisoft, "The delay has to do with shipping considerations and getting the best exposure in NA, not production of the game." Driver's old release date, August 30, is also the launch date for EA Sports' Madden NFL 12, which may receive a boost given the fact that the football season will actually take place this year. There had been concern about whether the season would start on time until a labor dispute and work stoppage was resolved earlier this week.

Last night, the same Twitter account also confirmed that the PC version of Driver: San Francisco will require a constant Internet connection, even for single-player modes. That's something of an about-face for the publisher, which has gone back and forth on the controversial digital rights management tactic. Afterdenial-of-service attacks rendered Assassin's Creed II and Silent Hunter 5 unplayable for legitimate customers last year, Ubisoft relaxed its stand on the issue, removing the requirement from some titles and not including it at all with others.

Developed by Ubisoft Reflections, Driver: San Francisco will be the first game in the series released under Ubisoft's auspices since the publisher acquired the franchise from Atari in 2006. The game is set to launch for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, and Mac. A Wii edition has also been announced.

Driver: San Francisco will be a throwback to previous installments in the franchise, featuring a matchup between original protagonist John Tanner and Driver 2 antagonist Charles Jericho. In terms of plot, Tanner, a hard-boiled detective behind the wheel of a 1970s-era Shelby GT500, is on the hunt for Jericho, and the two engage in vehicular duels on the streets of the titular hilly California city.

The game will include more than 100 licensed vehicles, all of which are subject to damage. The game will also feature a supernatural element as Tanner is pursuing his mark from the confines of a coma. Tanner's situation impacts gameplay, as players will be able to pause time to hop to a new vehicle on the fly, as well as get a bird's-eye view of the city to jump to various locations.

For more information, check out GameSpot's previous coverage.

Seriously, Ubi? You continue to use a DRM system that nobody likes, punishes the players who buy the game, while giving pirates a better experience when they circumvent it? And claim it to be a success? Just... I can't... but... Aaaarrgh. *shakefist*

downloaded the demo yesterday while playing Assassins Creed: Brotherhood. will give it a try later. heard good things about it and looking forward to giving it a go.

I enjoyed the demo as well. Have had the game on my radar, and now I want it, but I don't think I can pay full price for it, seems like something I will go through really quick. The dialogue is pretty funny, some of the enviornment graphics are bad, but the cars and some faces are good enough to offset those.

I still don't really get the shift mechanic though. If he "shifts" into a body in another car, what happens to his body in his car with his partner? Does it just become lifeless? And then the car wrecks? Maybe someone can explain that to me. Honestly, it's a pretty bad story element and very gimmicky, but comes as the reason for improved/different gameplay, and I'm willing to just ignore how ridiculous it is. Because I liked the Team Colors event. I wish it was harder actually. Ramp up the AI difficulty, but allow me to shift into the red cars too, and veer them away or something.

Oh, and I read somewhere we get a multiplayer demo next week too.

I enjoyed the demo as well. Have had the game on my radar, and now I want it, but I don't think I can pay full price for it, seems like something I will go through really quick. The dialogue is pretty funny, some of the enviornment graphics are bad, but the cars and some faces are good enough to offset those.

I still don't really get the shift mechanic though. If he "shifts" into a body in another car, what happens to his body in his car with his partner? Does it just become lifeless? And then the car wrecks? Maybe someone can explain that to me. Honestly, it's a pretty bad story element and very gimmicky, but comes as the reason for improved/different gameplay, and I'm willing to just ignore how ridiculous it is. Because I liked the Team Colors event. I wish it was harder actually. Ramp up the AI difficulty, but allow me to shift into the red cars too, and veer them away or something.

Oh, and I read somewhere we get a multiplayer demo next week too.

I wasn't reading too much into it but i kind of guessed that his body went into "autopilot" and just glided along. thats the only way i was able to make the concept somewhat feasible in my head.
i had a quick go on the demo. just the "prove it" part of the demo. Was quite surprised at how much i enjoyed it and liked the "shift" feature. Surprised at its addition, but i can see that its what will make this game stand out more from other racing games.
Really liked the video quality gone into the facial expressions and the dialogue. very impressive and does move the game up a notch on my radar. not enough to knock Batman: Arkham City, Space Marine or Assassins Creed: Revelations off the must-get spots but enough to keep a eye on the game.
Definately a lot better than i was expecting.

I wasn't reading too much into it but i kind of guessed that his body went into "autopilot" and just glided along. thats the only way i was able to make the concept somewhat feasible in my head.
i had a quick go on the demo. just the "prove it" part of the demo. Was quite surprised at how much i enjoyed it and liked the "shift" feature. Surprised at its addition, but i can see that its what will make this game stand out more from other racing games.
Really liked the video quality gone into the facial expressions and the dialogue. very impressive and does move the game up a notch on my radar. not enough to knock Batman: Arkham City, Space Marine or Assassins Creed: Revelations off the must-get spots but enough to keep a eye on the game.
Definately a lot better than i was expecting.

Okay, so if his body is in autopilot and gliding around, how does he converse with the partner in the passenger seat? I know, I know, I'm reading WAY too much into this driving game, but I just can't get past it. I need some way, even if small, where I can go, "okay, that's a huge stretch, but it makes a little bit of sense, so it's okay."

And yeah, it's not a must-buy for me either, but I figure being Ubisoft and an underhyped game, there should be a swift price drop before October, so hopefully I can pick it up for 30 or something.

God dammit! Why must PC have no games?!?!?

Give me a demo of the game on my gaming platform you cocks! And then release it! ON TIME! Without your stupid "always online" anti-piracy nonsense, I don't have 24/7 internet, I might want to play a game when I don't have connection... A GAME I HAVE PAID MONEY FOR!

Whilst a pirate will download it, install the crack, and play it... whenever he god damn feels like it... <_<

*Deep Breaths*

What I hated about Driver 1 or 2, I forget which.
You had to abide by the law or the cops chased you down and you couldnt escape... ok, maybe you could, I couldn't.

But the replay feature was revolutionary at the time.